A couple abandonware apps

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: A couple abandonware apps

Postby wongck » Fri May 17, 2019 9:31 am

sunaiac wrote:But there's no mention in the packaged of it being actually abandonware.
Is that mention present in the package that was available in OP ?

I read the whole topic, and the posts page 3/4 where NVDI is mentionned are not fully cealr about that.
Has the authot written womewhere that he was releasing the software ?

No and No.
there's copyright not from the Atari author but from the company they licensed it from.
this is my understanding.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

sunaiac
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby sunaiac » Fri May 17, 2019 10:14 am

Oh ok, thank you. It's a bit misleading to put it in the OP in a topic about abandonware apps :(

Then I guess, since I'm playing it clean, 80€ it is ...

I'm only interested in the desktop acceleration part of NVDI, not the fonts, printers and control panels, is there something actually free that would cover that, or less expensive ?
Falcon 030 - 4MB - 2GB CF - NetUSBee - VGA - TT Touch
Mega STE (2MB - No HDD ) - 1040 STE (1MB) - 520 STE (0.5MB) - 1040 STF (1MB) - 520 ST+ (1MB) - 260 ST (1MB)

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Fri May 17, 2019 12:24 pm

I don't think you can get it any more, they cannot sell it as the author themselves ran out of licenses.
The prog been floating around for years now, AFAIK no legal action taken by as parties thus far.
But past performance does not guarantee future performance.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Fri May 17, 2019 10:03 pm

sunaiac wrote:Oh ok, thank you. It's a bit misleading to put it in the OP in a topic about abandonware apps :(

Then I guess, since I'm playing it clean, 80€ it is ...

I'm only interested in the desktop acceleration part of NVDI, not the fonts, printers and control panels, is there something actually free that would cover that, or less expensive ?

The fatrakoon NVDI archive has been up for almost 4 years or more. You can't buy NVDI anymore (maybe on ebay you can find one) so that why I included the link as abandonware.

I talked to the author Wilfried Behne a couple of years ago and he wasn't opposed to even open source the software, but can't because of the bitstream technology included in the code.

But as I put in the OP, if there is any problem with any links, I will take them down. This is only meant to help preserve Atari software that can not be obtained anymore from the authors or distributors.

*Edit* Fixed the broken link for fatrakoon NVDI archive.

*Edit*
sunaiac wrote:Hi,
Regards;

This is not the definition of abandonware.
Last edited by TheNameOfTheGame on Sat May 18, 2019 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

stormy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby stormy » Fri May 17, 2019 11:01 pm

Is there a better IRC client for Atari? I officially purchased AtariIRC but it is very basic... and I just tried Chatter but it requires some MagiC specific libraries that I don't have in Mint. Does anyone know of any other alternatives? Thanks
Falcon ct60e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64 2mb // Atari STM 4160 - 4MB ram - 16Mhz exxos 1.5 booster - Ultrasatan

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Fri May 17, 2019 11:19 pm

nagual wrote:Well boys and girls, now something completely different - for programmers and the others - some developing system - ACS Pro 2.3.4 and 3.0.0 full registered, thanks to Mr. Martin Elsässer !

There's both versions - german and english, including all documentation as HYP files , Pure C, GEM and TOS Libraries (english and german), and also a bunch of useful utilities:-)

Here's the link for ACS Pro 3.0.0
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7Y1z ... 24yZHU3cGM

Other downloads is bellow:-)

Cheers ! :cheers:

Btw, if anyone downloaded ACSpro 3.0.0 from the (now broken) link above the serial number is wrong for v3.0.0. Just add a '001' to the beginning of the serial number from the text file when you register the application and it will work.

But if you want a personalized version, Martin Elsässer will provide a serial number and key for free. Just fill out the attached registration text file (ignore the payment information) and email it to him at acspro@melsaesser.de.

You can download the program at his website http://acspro.atari.org/Download/. As he told me last week, it is still shareware but the cost is 0 euros :D

Really, he needs the registration text filled out because that's how he generates the key and serial number. Be patient, he is busy, but he is very nice person to talk to.

I am translating the German hypertext for v3.0.0 into English. I have slowed a bit due to spring/summer house projects, but will get back to it when I can. It is a very powerful program.

register.txt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sunaiac
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby sunaiac » Sat May 18, 2019 8:07 pm

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:
The fatrakoon NVDI archive has been up for almost 4 years or more. You can't buy NVDI anymore (maybe on ebay you can find one) so that why I included the link as abandonware.

I talked to the author Wilfried Behne a couple of years ago and he wasn't opposed to even open source the software, but can't because of the bitstream technology included in the code.

But as I put in the OP, if there is any problem with any links, I will take them down. This is only meant to help preserve Atari software that can not be obtained anymore from the authors or distributors.

This is not the definition of abandonware.

Hi,

Ok I thought it could still be bought, I found some websites selling it for 76 euros and some but didn't try to complete the process.

About that abandonware definition, you are right.

What I meant, but poorly phrased/brought, is that I've seen in the topic some software have been clearly released as freeware with sometimes source code from the authors.So, it might be interesting to cleanly specify which is which in the OP.
Mega STE (2MB - No HDD ) - 1040 STE (1MB) - 520 STE (0.5MB) - 1040 STF (1MB) - 520 ST+ (1MB) - 260 ST (1MB)

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Mon May 20, 2019 5:22 pm

sunaiac wrote:Hi,

I tried getting NVDI from the OP link, but it seems down.
So I found it from another source (atariancomputing I think), it comes with a serial number in the ZIP.
But there's no mention in the packaged of it being actually abandonware.
Is that mention present in the package that was available in OP ?

I read the whole topic, and the posts page 3/4 where NVDI is mentionned are not fully cealr about that.
I can still find it for sale online so I'm wondering.

Regards;

Can you list places where it's actually for sale? When I looked previously it seemed to only be available on random sites to download. Ultimately it'd be nice if the open source versions were on par with it feature wise (fVDI I think is the open source one).
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (VBXE, U1MB, Stereo POKEY)
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

sunaiac
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby sunaiac » Wed May 22, 2019 11:02 am

I don't know if it's actually for sale.
I jumped back in the atari world a short time ago, and actually had no idea that NVDI existed before buying my Falcon haha.

This is where I found it : http://www.nvdi.de/gb/NVDI5.html but as I said, I didn't try to actually proceed to buying it because I found this topic.
That's why I wondered what its actual status (freeware/"abandonware"/still commercial) was.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Wed May 22, 2019 1:27 pm

sunaiac wrote:I don't know if it's actually for sale.
I jumped back in the atari world a short time ago, and actually had no idea that NVDI existed before buying my Falcon haha.

This is where I found it : http://www.nvdi.de/gb/NVDI5.html but as I said, I didn't try to actually proceed to buying it because I found this topic.
That's why I wondered what its actual status (freeware/"abandonware"/still commercial) was.

that webpage hasn't been updated in over -nineteen years- so the pricing may not be currently accurate ...

penguin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby penguin » Wed May 22, 2019 7:05 pm

sunaiac wrote:I don't know if it's actually for sale.

It's still commercial of course, unless the Behnes say otherwise. I've not heard of anyone trying to buy NVDI from them directly. System Solutions obviously doesn't exist anymore and NVDI is not among the few Atari applications offered by Application Systems.
AtariUpToDate - Atari ST/TT/Falcon software database and version tracker: http://www.atariuptodate.de
st-computer magazine - https://st-computer.atariuptodate.de/

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Thu May 23, 2019 3:04 am

penguin wrote:It's still commercial of course, unless the Behnes say otherwise. I've not heard of anyone trying to buy NVDI from them directly.

I tried to buy from them directly about 10 years ago. I have written an email asking about it but I got an answer that they do not sell NVDI anymore.

sunaiac
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby sunaiac » Thu May 23, 2019 7:08 am

Then really the ideal (for us, the few hundred atari users) would for it to officially be switched to freeware status to leave the very grey area of abandonware :)
I can understand that opensourcing it might be legally complex depending on what's inside on the other hand.

Anyway I'll keep NVDI 5.03 installed on my falcon for now (I anyway have no idea how to uninstall it !), and will try to find a box for the collection. Just bought a boxed NVDI 3.0.

jd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jd » Sat May 25, 2019 10:18 pm

charles wrote:curious if over the years anyone find the computer concepts Fast Basic compiler?

Just a bump, as I can't find the Fast Basic Compiler anywhere on the net. I presume it was actually released at the time?

warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warp12 » Tue May 28, 2019 7:30 pm

Just random here....Anispec/Unispec? Used to use them a fair amount, but haven't seen them online...
Shane

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Wed May 29, 2019 2:04 am

warp12 wrote:Just random here....Anispec/Unispec? Used to use them a fair amount, but haven't seen them online...

Atarimania seems to have a dump of Unispec at http://www.atarimania.com/utility-atari-st-unispec_22930.html

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Wed May 29, 2019 2:27 am

jd wrote:
charles wrote:curious if over the years anyone find the computer concepts Fast Basic compiler?

Just a bump, as I can't find the Fast Basic Compiler anywhere on the net. I presume it was actually released at the time?

Not sure if this is what you're looking for https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FAST-ST-BASIC-ATARI-ST-COMPUTER-CONCEPTS-FLOPPY-DISC-ONLY/323817101674

Was the compiler something separate from the interpreter?

jd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jd » Wed May 29, 2019 12:03 pm

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:
jd wrote:

Not sure if this is what you're looking for https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FAST-ST-BASIC-ATARI-ST-COMPUTER-CONCEPTS-FLOPPY-DISC-ONLY/323817101674

Was the compiler something separate from the interpreter?

Many thanks but it seems the compiler was never released :( but the ROM cartridge package came with a utilities disk which basically transferred your .bsc file into an executable or desk accessory by appending the interpreter to your .bsc file, wrapped it together and you have your executable, not exactly a compiler but enabled you to run you program as a standalone executable.

You can download Fast Basic + Tools/Utilities Disk from this thread :

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=8781

Social Media

Return to “Applications”