Atari Super Hero

Rainbow Islands development story

Postby catmando » Mon May 20, 2019 1:35 pm

Interesting read here
Atari Falcon Tos 4.04 | 14mb | IDE CF 2GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62 | 4mb | HxC Slim SD 8GB
Atari STE Tos 1.62/2.06 | 4mb | Floppy A-B Mod | IDE SD 4GB
Atari STFM
Android Devices (Running Hataroid and SToid)

Atari Forum Wiki - Use it before asking

mlynn1974
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Rainbow Islands development story

Postby mlynn1974 » Tue May 21, 2019 8:12 pm

This was originally published in either Zero magazine or Ace. I can't remember which and I can't find it at the moment.
It's good that this is a searchable document. Nice mention of Run Length Compression and the use of STOS and a great game.
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM, 2.5Mb STF.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Wed May 22, 2019 2:51 pm

Interesting! Thanks for posting the link!

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Wed May 22, 2019 3:17 pm

A great read! Makes me wanna play that game again. It was quite funny back at the STOT times.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

prog99
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby prog99 » Thu May 23, 2019 7:39 am

Thanks, it looks like Andrew Braybrooks own blog, the cobol references gave it away.
All my real skills are undervalued

ruthless
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby ruthless » Sun May 26, 2019 4:56 pm

I was working in a local computer shop when this was released for the 16 bit machines. For some reason the company owners believed this would be a massive commercial success so hundreds of copies were ordered per store, which for a small store like us took up almost an entire wall for both ST and Amiga alike.

For whatever reason it didn't sell anywhere near as well as they had hoped, we had mountains of stock and nowhere to put it. I spent hours upon hours re merchandising stock, I don't think I'll ever fully unsee the cover art on the box.

Then there was Parasol Stars... another story altogether

lostdragon
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lostdragon » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:23 am

mlynn1974 wrote:This was originally published in either Zero magazine or Ace. I can't remember which and I can't find it at the moment.
It's good that this is a searchable document. Nice mention of Run Length Compression and the use of STOS and a great game.

I thought it was The One magazine, but could be wrong .

It seemed to come about after an irate Amiga owner had written in complaining of Rainbow Islands being yet another ST port and the Amiga's superior hardware was not being used and Braybrook responded by saying it was not much use for Rainbow Islands.

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:49 am

lostdragon wrote:
mlynn1974 wrote:This was originally published in either Zero magazine or Ace. I can't remember which and I can't find it at the moment.

I thought it was The One magazine, but could be wrong .

It seemed to come about after an irate Amiga owner had written in complaining of Rainbow Islands being yet another ST port and the Amiga's superior hardware was not being used and Braybrook responded by saying it was not much use for Rainbow Islands.

Well in fact, Andrew will learn later that the Amiga could do more. He was too ST focused when he said that.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

jamesrc
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jamesrc » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:39 am

You know, I kind of owe this game an apology.

I played the Spectrum version of Rainbow Islands a *lot*, and it really is an excellent port. When I got access to the arcade version, I found the skills I'd honed translated quite nicely -- I was able to crush the first three islands on one life.

And then one day I got the ST version. Well, I got Pompey Pirates 26. And I found it...

Somehow disappointing. It just didn't feel *right*. The timing or something was off, I was off. I was really bad at it for some reason, but bad in a way that felt frustrating. Felt like the game's fault.

But years later, I don't understand what I was thinking. This is an *fantastic* version and I don't know what was wrong with me. It plays incredibly closely to the arcade game, and I don't find myself struggling with it.

So I don't know if it was the joystick I was using at the time or solar flares or what.

But I'm sorry I ever doubted it.

(Now, Bubble Bobble on the other hand I seem to recall the ST version has one less monster on screen on some levels than other versions, but I could be misremembering).

Social Media

Return to “Games - General”