uip-tool

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

sqward
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: uip-tool

Postby sqward » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:04 pm

czietz: I don't really understand why you'd like to convert it to gas as installing vasm takes no time at all. But if you feel strongly about that then I'd rather not loose a contributor over that.

Let's move it out of this thread.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:53 pm

Another question: I assume the binaries you release are build with libcmini for size, right? Which version of libcmini do you use?

In my builds I have some issues when linking with libcmini, e.g., files are only partially downloaded (the Content-Length header is already wrong). Everything works when using MiNTLib, but of course the binary is bigger then.

sqward

Postby sqward » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:55 pm

I have some patches to libcmini I yet have to upstream. In the meantime just don't use it :)

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:49 pm

Looks like I found one them myself: ;-)
https://github.com/mfro0/libcmini/issues/32

jonord
Atarian
Atarian

Postby jonord » Fri May 17, 2019 9:21 pm

Just got around to test the latest version on my Falcon. Awesome. Great work! I experienced that the old version was just moderately faster than using Ghostlink over serial and 115200 baud. Now it's blindingly fast!

sqward

Postby sqward » Fri May 17, 2019 9:36 pm

Surely old version wasn't that slow? ;)

Also, bear in mind that if you're using USB drivers then that's at least 30% penality on uiptool performance. Not sure what's going on in the USB driver but even if you're not touching your mouse it slows the system quite badly. It would be great if that could be fixed somehow.

Perdrix24
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Perdrix24 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:09 am

sqward wrote:Surely old version wasn't that slow? ;)

Also, bear in mind that if you're using USB drivers then that's at least 30% penality on uiptool performance. Not sure what's going on in the USB driver but even if you're not touching your mouse it slows the system quite badly. It would be great if that could be fixed somehow.

It may slow down the transfer rate, but surely not the CPU time that much?

Also Sting and MagxNet conflict with the USB storage driver, when present and configured, file transfers abort then the whole USB susbsystem goes down. There is surely a conflict that needs investigating.

Uip-tool is the only networking I can reliably use with the USB drivers under NetUSBee.

jonord
Atarian
Atarian

Postby jonord » Sat May 18, 2019 5:43 am

Mind you it was quite some time since I last used Uip-tool, probably the very first versions or so. And with the proper serial drivers Ghostlink isn't that bad, plus it's very convenient to use on the Atari as it shows up as an extra device.

Funnily enough the Ghostlink device shows up in the web browser so I could if I download a file from the PC via the Atari.... :lol:

sqward

Postby sqward » Sat May 18, 2019 4:19 pm

Perdrix24 wrote:It may slow down the transfer rate, but surely not the CPU time that much?

Not sure what you mean. The only way to slow down transfere rate is to eat the CPU time. Not sure what the USB driver is doing but I'd guess it hooks itself up to VBL or 200Hz timer to periodically poll USB hardware.

susher
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby susher » Sun May 19, 2019 8:22 am

The USB interface is quite CPU intensive as there's no hardware off-load and it's a very simple/cheap system. This is why it won over Firewire, it was slower, slowed the machine (as the CPU had to do all the work) but was cheap.

Perdrix24
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Perdrix24 » Thu May 23, 2019 7:38 pm

sqward wrote:
Perdrix24 wrote:It may slow down the transfer rate, but surely not the CPU time that much?

Not sure what you mean. The only way to slow down transfere rate is to eat the CPU time. Not sure what the USB driver is doing but I'd guess it hooks itself up to VBL or 200Hz timer to periodically poll USB hardware.

I did some benchmarks, on 68000 the mouse driver takes 10% of the CPU time, while on the 68030 Falcon, it's 5%.

The worse case scenario is having the mouse and keyboard drivers, in addition to usbtool.acc, on a 68000, that resulted in a 21% slowdown of the CPU.

sqward

Postby sqward » Thu May 23, 2019 7:58 pm

Thanks, that's in line with my observation.

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:39 pm

Maybe stupid question but:

-is there any chance to make uip tool working with Svethlana (from SuperVidel)?
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

sqward

Postby sqward » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:40 pm

Saulot started working on that.

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:52 am

mikro wrote:Very nice, indeed.

I personally use a similar solution (same reasoning - faster dev cycle), mint.prg in AUTO + svethlana.xif + 4-line mint.cnf which sets up IP address and runs a small kind of ftp server. So I can use everything FreeMiNT has a driver for.

Hi Mikro,
can you share this files in single ZIP? :)

Thanks!
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:03 am

Calimero: it's not really very usable - you have to compile the client for Linux, server for mint, it has very spartan command line etc. And I really haven't used it for a while (courtesy of CosmosEx and PARCP-USB).

If you are looking for configuration, mint.cnf was basically just ifconfig + route command with static IPs.

fiveofive
Atari User
Atari User

Postby fiveofive » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:30 pm

It has been a while since I last exchanged data with uiptool as I did not use a LAN cable anymore for internet.

Maybe it's old news, but I am amazed again! I found setting up a direct connection from Netusbee to a Linux laptop LAN port is very simple. For those who care: network connections -> wired -> edit -> IPv4 settings -> Shared to other computers
I am running Linux mint, but it should be the same for any Ubuntu derivate.

Data transfer works great, just as before via router. Enjoying the new interface a lot. Great work you guys put in there. Thank you very much all involved! Time for watching some Falcon demos now, I guess :)
505 on demozoo

sqward

Postby sqward » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:19 pm

I'm glad you liked it. I'm hoping to do more work on the tool after SillyVenture :)

Timnaber
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Timnaber » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:59 pm

I for one really appreciate this tool.

I have a desk that has both a PC and a Falcon on it. The desk has a keyboard drawer for the PC mouse and Key board. The Falcon sets on top over that drawer. Two monitors. One right in front for the Falcon and one to the side for the PC.

Rarely does one have megs and megs of stuff to transfer. It is usually a file here or a file there, one offs.

Other than a CosmosEX with its shared PC network drive, this is the easiest of all transfer methods. Whether moving data by floppy, USB, SD, CF or any other media, nothing beats running a program on each computer and away you go. The speed on the new version looks to be triple the speed of the previous version and connection to the switch is really fast now.

Thank you and keep up the good work.
ST: TT030 10/32 MB; Falcon 030 14MB(2); Mega STe 4 MB; Mga 4 stock(2), 1040STf 4 MB; 1040STf Stock(2); Megafile 44 (2); Megafile 30(2)

8-Bit: 320XE w/Ultraspeed+/FIXXL; 320XE; 130XE w/Ultimate 1MB; 800XL w/Ultimate 1MB; 800XL w/Omnimon XL/Boss XL/Omniview XL; 800 w/Incognito; 48K 800; Black Box Enhanced (3); 1050 Super Archiver II; 1050 Happy (2); XF551 360K(2); XF551 720K; 8-bit Hard Drive Tower 480 MBs.

neanderthal
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby neanderthal » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:09 pm

And while we are on the giving credits thing.
Liked the sources and the fact that the README.md stated the environment used.(saves the time of quessing)
So it took me something like just 2-3 days of having a working one with my own netcard and a day or so to fix a interrupt buffering rout.
The old 3c509 I am using has a rather small SRAM buffer,2k or something? , got over-rides so had to ram-buffer packs.

Havent gotten around to test all the functions with debugging and so on but just to pop in and out data from the file system with 'plain' TOS
is very nice since at times when one doesnt want to wait for the whole mint boot thingy.(its all sort of alpha still tho)
And the speed? approx 200kB/s in both directions on stock Falcon with my primitive ISA board adapter prototype.
I quess the inbuffer handling eats up parts of the inspeed in comparison to NetUSBee?

If I ever get a paypal account ,yours will get at least money for a sixpack..or 2 ;)

sqward

Postby sqward » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:09 pm

Happy I could help :)

Social Media

Return to “Applications”