MiSTer updater script

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

zomgugoff
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:12 am

Re: MiSTer updater script

Postby zomgugoff » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:25 pm

I am getting the atari5200 core downloaded when it's not specified in my filter. I'm assuming that's because it's mixed in with the atari800 repo. Is there a way to just get the atari800 core?

Locutus73
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:13 pm

Re: MiSTer updater script

Postby Locutus73 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:31 am

zomgugoff wrote:I am getting the atari5200 core downloaded when it's not specified in my filter. I'm assuming that's because it's mixed in with the atari800 repo. Is there a way to just get the atari800 core?

It’s difficult to tell without knowing your filter (the whole ini would be better), but yours seems a good guess.

Regards.

Locutus73

zomgugoff
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:12 am

Re: MiSTer updater script

Postby zomgugoff » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:10 pm

Locutus73 wrote:It’s difficult to tell without knowing your filter (the whole ini would be better), but yours seems a good guess.


It can be replicated with just this:

REPOSITORIES_FILTER="atari800"

The output shows 'Checking Atari800' twice. The first time it downloads atari800.rbf into 'computer'. The second time, it downloads atari5200.rbf into 'console'.

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 3:44 pm

Re: MiSTer updater script

Postby seastalker » Thu May 02, 2019 1:40 pm

This is indeed a great script. Please forgive if it has been answered, but is there a setting or something I must do if I do not want the script to set the sd card as read-only?

Locutus73
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:13 pm

Re: MiSTer updater script

Postby Locutus73 » Thu May 02, 2019 3:47 pm

zomgugoff wrote:It can be replicated with just this:

REPOSITORIES_FILTER="atari800"

The output shows 'Checking Atari800' twice. The first time it downloads atari800.rbf into 'computer'. The second time, it downloads atari5200.rbf into 'console'.

You're right, the REPOSITORIES_FILTER is a filter by repository name and https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Atari800_MiSTer is the repository for both Atari 800XL and Atari 5200 core. I didn't think to this back then. I don't know, I could bake something specific for that, any idea?

seastalker wrote:This is indeed a great script. Please forgive if it has been answered, but is there a setting or something I must do if I do not want the script to set the sd card as read-only?

I don't know what you mean: no script sets the SD read-only.

Regards.

Locutus73

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 3:44 pm

Re: MiSTer updater script

Postby seastalker » Thu May 02, 2019 3:59 pm

Sorry, I was not replying directly to the Atari800 core part of the discussion but as a thank you and feedback to the core as a whole. I tried out the LATEST updater script and it is great that it can auto-download cores. In my case it made everything on the sd card Read-only.

Locutus73
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:13 pm

Re: MiSTer updater script

Postby Locutus73 » Thu May 02, 2019 4:30 pm

seastalker wrote:Sorry, I was not replying directly to the Atari800 core part of the discussion but as a thank you and feedback to the core as a whole. I tried out the LATEST updater script and it is great that it can auto-download cores. In my case it made everything on the sd card Read-only.

Weird, is it read only if you put the SD in a Windows machine? Can you format it?
Usually SD/USB-thumbdrives controllers have a protection mechanism which sets the drive as read only if a bad blocks threshold is reached, so the user can still get his/her data, before disposing the compromised drive. The script has no read only setting, if that happened either the filesystem is corrupted or the disk is corrupted.

Regards.

Locutus73

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 3:44 pm

Re: MiSTer updater script

Postby seastalker » Thu May 02, 2019 4:57 pm

Too much for my schedule today. I am going to make a backup of the SD card after the update script and start from scratch.

zomgugoff
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:12 am

Re: MiSTer updater script

Postby zomgugoff » Fri May 03, 2019 1:37 am

Locutus73 wrote:You're right, the REPOSITORIES_FILTER is a filter by repository name and https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Atari800_MiSTer is the repository for both Atari 800XL and Atari 5200 core. I didn't think to this back then. I don't know, I could bake something specific for that, any idea?


If the script grabs the newest .rbfs from each repo, then maybe do a partially filename string match to determine which .rbf to keep? E.g. filter=atari800, do string match from repo for 800(or atari800) and keep that file only.

Locutus73
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:13 pm

Re: MiSTer updater script

Postby Locutus73 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:30 am

zomgugoff wrote:
Locutus73 wrote:You're right, the REPOSITORIES_FILTER is a filter by repository name and https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Atari800_MiSTer is the repository for both Atari 800XL and Atari 5200 core. I didn't think to this back then. I don't know, I could bake something specific for that, any idea?


If the script grabs the newest .rbfs from each repo, then maybe do a partially filename string match to determine which .rbf to keep? E.g. filter=atari800, do string match from repo for 800(or atari800) and keep that file only.


The string match is performed only on the repository name, not on the rbf files.
The updater first downloads https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki, then it applies the REPOSITORIES_FILTER string match to the repositories (the ones you can read on the right of the page) and finally it navigates all the filtered repositories in search of the latest rbf files. Just for the Atari800 repository it searches both for the 800 and 5200 rbf core files. But the filter is applied before navigating all repositories in order to make the script quicker (if a filter is applied).

Regards.

Locutus73

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 3:44 pm

Re: MiSTer updater script

Postby seastalker » Fri May 03, 2019 2:29 pm

The fix I used was to copy all the card contents to a backup location, format the card again with the mister setup tool and then copy it all on back.

zomgugoff
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:12 am

Re: MiSTer updater script

Postby zomgugoff » Fri May 03, 2019 9:29 pm

Locutus73 wrote:The string match is performed only on the repository name, not on the rbf files.
The updater first downloads https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki, then it applies the REPOSITORIES_FILTER string match to the repositories (the ones you can read on the right of the page) and finally it navigates all the filtered repositories in search of the latest rbf files. Just for the Atari800 repository it searches both for the 800 and 5200 rbf core files. But the filter is applied before navigating all repositories in order to make the script quicker (if a filter is applied).


How about a flag to disable downloading both 800 and 5200 cores if either is found in the filter?

Locutus73
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:13 pm

Re: MiSTer updater script

Postby Locutus73 » Fri May 03, 2019 10:37 pm

zomgugoff wrote:How about a flag to disable downloading both 800 and 5200 cores if either is found in the filter?

I don’t understand what do you mean by “either is found in the filter”. The filter is by repository, not by core name, and both Atari800 and Atari5200 are in the same single repository. They aren’t in two different repositories, they are both in https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Atari80 ... r/releases
If the filter matches that single repository, both rbf files are downloaded.

Regards.

Locutus73

Locutus73
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 503
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:13 pm

Re: MiSTer updater script

Postby Locutus73 » Thu May 09, 2019 10:52 am

zomgugoff wrote:How about a flag to disable downloading both 800 and 5200 cores if either is found in the filter?

I was thinking that DOWNLOAD_NEW_CORES="false" or DOWNLOAD_NEW_CORES="_New Cores" could satisfy your need.
When set to false it won't download cores which are already on your SD so, with REPOSITORIES_FILTER="atari800", just delete the core you don't need from the SD and it won't be downloaded again. If you use DOWNLOAD_NEW_CORES="_New Cores" all new cores which aren't already on the SD will be downloaded in the _New Cores directory (remove the underscore if you don't want it listed by main MiSTer core browser)... that's my personal choice.

Regards.

Locutus73

zomgugoff
Atari freak
Atari freak
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:12 am

Re: MiSTer updater script

Postby zomgugoff » Tue May 14, 2019 9:25 am

Locutus73 wrote:I was thinking that DOWNLOAD_NEW_CORES="false" or DOWNLOAD_NEW_CORES="_New Cores" could satisfy your need.
When set to false it won't download cores which are already on your SD so, with REPOSITORIES_FILTER="atari800", just delete the core you don't need from the SD and it won't be downloaded again. If you use DOWNLOAD_NEW_CORES="_New Cores" all new cores which aren't already on the SD will be downloaded in the _New Cores directory (remove the underscore if you don't want it listed by main MiSTer core browser)... that's my personal choice.


That setting does prevent that core from ending up in the _Consoles directory. Weirdly, it still gets downloaded from the repo, but I suppose that's not a deal breaker. Thanks for the info.

molesmile
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:22 pm

Excluding a section from the updater.sh script

Postby molesmile » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:24 pm

is it possible to make an 'update.ini' file to exclude a section, for example "_Arcade", so that the 'updater.sh' won't look into and update anything from the '_Arcade' section?
If so, how does the ini script looks like?
many thanks!

RabidWookie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:23 am

Re: MiSTer updater script

Postby RabidWookie » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:38 pm

Are there arcade cores that do not get added by the updater script? I've seen people playing Commando but I don't seem to have it after running the script.

Lightwave
Atari maniac
Atari maniac
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:18 pm

Re: MiSTer updater script

Postby Lightwave » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:21 pm

RabidWookie wrote:Are there arcade cores that do not get added by the updater script? I've seen people playing Commando but I don't seem to have it after running the script.


Jotego's cores are here: https://github.com/jotego/jtbin/tree/master/mister

You can find an unofficial script to download these cores in the update folder.

vanfanel
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:19 pm
Location: Salamanca, España

Re: MiSTer updater script

Postby vanfanel » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:09 pm

Do you guys know if its possible to add Mr-X repository so his Arcade cores are updated too? He has some exclusive cores he has made, like Solomons Key, etc...
Where should it be added? Which format should I use?

User avatar
kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 176
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:03 am

Re: MiSTer updater script

Postby kitrinx » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:42 pm

vanfanel wrote:Do you guys know if its possible to add Mr-X repository so his Arcade cores are updated too? He has some exclusive cores he has made, like Solomons Key, etc...
Where should it be added? Which format should I use?


Pulling cores from outside the official repository is a bad practice. Only the things in the official repo are guaranteed to remain compatible, and encouraging fragmentation of the codebase is not something it would be wise to do by supporting tons of ancillary repositories. Mr X puts all his cores in the official repo, so it would be best to simply wait for them to end up there, and then they will be updated by our tools.

vanfanel
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:19 pm
Location: Salamanca, España

Re: MiSTer updater script

Postby vanfanel » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:52 pm

kitrinx wrote:
vanfanel wrote:Do you guys know if its possible to add Mr-X repository so his Arcade cores are updated too? He has some exclusive cores he has made, like Solomons Key, etc...
Where should it be added? Which format should I use?


Pulling cores from outside the official repository is a bad practice. Only the things in the official repo are guaranteed to remain compatible, and encouraging fragmentation of the codebase is not something it would be wise to do by supporting tons of ancillary repositories. Mr X puts all his cores in the official repo, so it would be best to simply wait for them to end up there, and then they will be updated by our tools.


I perfectly understan what you mean. Fragmentation is no good, indeed! And for early tests, manual updating is enough.
I have a better picture of the situation now. Thanks! :)

RabidWookie
Atari maniac
Atari maniac
Posts: 77
Joined: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:23 am

Re: MiSTer updater script

Postby RabidWookie » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:48 pm

Will Jotego's cores be added to the official script?

Lightwave
Atari maniac
Atari maniac
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:18 pm

Re: MiSTer updater script

Postby Lightwave » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:45 pm

RabidWookie wrote:Will Jotego's cores be added to the official script?


Jotego has mentioned that at some point he will add his cores to the official repository.

slingshot
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: MiSTer updater script

Postby slingshot » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:29 pm

Well, I don't want to sound harsh, and I have maximum respect of the developers working on MiSTer, but I feel somewhat this requirement of "your core cannot be auto-updated unless you transfer your repo to MiSTer-devel" is a kind of blackmailing. Just think about a developer, who creates cores targeting other devices, too. Why should he give the ownership of his repo to MiSTer?
I'm sure it's not about a bad intention, maybe just this case was overlooked. The auto-updating requires only the binary. There are no auto-build facilities. So probably it would be enough to push the RBF and a manual to a common MiSTer-owned repository, mentioning the source repo. Then the auto-update can work from this binary repo.

User avatar
Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1509
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:40 am

Re: MiSTer updater script

Postby Newsdee » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:01 am

It's not just about auto updates. If I'm not mistaken, the cores in the main MiSTer repo also get framework updates and similar upgrades from time to time. Having to hunt multiple repos for those upgrades would be impractical.


Return to “MiSTer”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests