Mini MiSTer/Retroflag GPi

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

nathanhardie
Atari User
Atari User

Mini MiSTer/Retroflag GPi

Postby nathanhardie » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:53 pm

Retroflag is making a nice Gameboy that uses a pi zero to power it. Anybody else out there thinking what I'm thinking?

Locutus73
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Mini MiSTer/Retroflag GPi

Postby Locutus73 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:53 pm

nathanhardie wrote:Retroflag is making a nice Gameboy that uses a pi zero to power it. Anybody else out there thinking what I'm thinking?

Fitting a MiSTer inside? A pi zero is way smaller than a DE10-Nano board.

Regards.

Locutus73

amadama
Atari User
Atari User

Postby amadama » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:10 pm

The Pi Zero actually goes into the "cartridge" it's not actually inside the Gameboy case.
There is a daughter board inside the cartridge that provides an edge connector and Pi GPIO connectors to route the controls, video, audio and power.
Theoretically you can make a variety of different cartridges to house different system (Pi 3b+ or whatever) it will just stick out of the handheld a lot.
Not even sure if the pins on the DE-10 nano would carry the same signals as required or how much code modification would be needed to make it work.
The screen is also very small at 2.8"
I may end up getting one but not to put a MiSTer in it. (it's going to be US $70, pretty good for what it is).

nathanhardie
Atari User
Atari User

Postby nathanhardie » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:20 pm

Thanks for the update Locutus73 haha. Notice I used the word mini. Talking fantasy more than current reality

Amadama, yeah. It's a good looking deal for sure. I just don't know if I can go back to the old way. The fpga reduced controller lag is game changing

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:40 am

This looks promising: http://nexdock.com

Its not a handheld, but with a small case and battery the MiSTer would be portable.

Locutus73
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Locutus73 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:24 am

Newsdee wrote:This looks promising: http://nexdock.com

Its not a handheld, but with a small case and battery the MiSTer would be portable.

It carries all IO, including audio and video, through USB-C, and implements a specific Android protocol... I don’t think it can be adapted to MiSTer.

IMHO the best solution would be a small clamshell design with both keyboard and pad buttons/sticks.

Maybe something like this
https://www.shapeways.com/product/VRK2P ... d=63152912
but it would need to be redesigned to fit MiSTer and joypad buttons, d-pad and maybe (not mandatory) an analog stick.

Regards.

Locutus73

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:36 am

Locutus73 wrote:It carries all IO, including audio and video, through USB-C, and implements a specific Android protocol... I don’t think it can be adapted to MiSTer.

Check the page, they have an adapter for RPi that would work great with a MiSTer.

IMHO the best solution would be a small clamshell design with both keyboard and pad buttons/sticks

I'd love that, but it would be harder to design one...

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:40 am

Newsdee wrote:This looks promising: http://nexdock.com

If you really want something like that you could probably find a used a Motorola ATRIX Lapdock in good condition for cheap...

People have been known to use them with the RPi

Locutus73
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Locutus73 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:35 am

Newsdee wrote:Check the page, they have an adapter for RPi that would work great with a MiSTer.

You’re right. It has a full size HDMI port and an USB-C for connecting all it’s input devices. I think it would work out of the box with MiSTer.

Regards.

Locutus73

tony802
Atarian
Atarian

Postby tony802 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:04 am

I can confirm it's working good (video mode used 1920x1080@60). It is very convenient, I learnt about the NexDock from this thread some months ago, thanks !

xzarian
Atarian
Atarian

Postby xzarian » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:43 pm

tony802 wrote:I can confirm it's working good (video mode used 1920x1080@60). It is very convenient, I learnt about the NexDock from this thread some months ago, thanks !

Very nice! Wow that's expensive though! $299 usd with shipping!

Return to “MiSTer”