https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

THaase
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Newbie questions

Postby THaase » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:25 am

Hi have humor :-) - belive me ....
But we are now do competition between FPGA and Emulator ....

I've not seen before, but Polymega site now shows up some HW Spec:

Code: Select all

Processor: Intel® CM8068403377713
Memory: 4GB DDR4 RAM
Connectivity: HDMI, 802.11G WiFi, Bluetooth 3.0, USB 2.0, Polymega™ Expansion Bus
On-board Storage: 16GB eMMC Flash Memory
Expansion Storage: Up to 512GB MicroSD via SD Card expansion slot
Optical Drive: 8X CD/DVD Slot-in Optical Disc Drive

I would not wonder some kind of standard ITX board .... and the Polymega™ Expansion Bus will use USB :-) (hopefully 3.0)

So just a stupid PC ..... (with Linux)

Code: Select all

Let's see if they respect GPL :-)

bendo
Atarian
Atarian

Newbie - ThankYou - Questions

Postby bendo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:30 pm

Hello All,

I just started to dive into Mister and I have to say: WOW!
Amazing work went into this project and as far as I can see is Sorgelig the main coordinator. So Thank You Very Much! As well to him as to anyone else who made this possible.

The reason I went the Mister path is couriosity regarding FPGAs, the iCE40 was too "small" for me, and all the other FPGAs were too "professional", and to be honest too expensive, so I thought Mister is the way to go.
And the main reason is: You can do something "useful" with it. I grew up with the VIC20 and later Atari 1040 STF, so I deem it "useful" to go a little back in time. Soon I found out that the Atari ST port is a little underdeveloped, but there are plenty of other cores to play with.
A bit ironic seeing the main forum for Mister being the Atari-Forum. ;-)

I know it sounds a little bit ambitious to learn FPGA by reading the core sources, but I've learnt C by reading the Linux kernel sources back in the early 1990s. ;-)

I started programming with Commodore Basic, later UCSD-Pascal on Apple II, GFA-Basic on Atari, Turbo-Pascal on 386er as well as C, today I still program in LUA for World of Warcraft and Delphi/Lazarus for work.

I've setup already the Quartus 18.1 lite suite and was in fact able to program my first "Blink" application, so far so good. But when I tried to compile some cores, it tells me it can't output *.rbf files since the sources seems to use some time limited components, that cannot be compiles by the free version.
Am I doing something wrong, since I'm a newb, or is it working as intended? Do I have to use the $3000 version of Quartus to compile the cores?

My second question is the ability to remote use the board: I'm able to connect by ssh to the board. Can I install a window-manager to use VNC on the board and use the cores remotely? Or is it imperative to use HDMI and USB keyboard?

And my third question is: How do I restart the board? F12 can restart the core but not the board, ssh can use "reboot", but is there any keycode like Ctrl-Alt-Del (what doesn't work) to reboot the board?

And again: Thank you very much for the cool work that went into this project!

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:20 am

bendo wrote:Do I have to use the $3000 version of Quartus to compile the cores?

no. New versions of cores don't use licensed components (may be except couple cores).

bendo wrote:My second question is the ability to remote use the board: I'm able to connect by ssh to the board. Can I install a window-manager to use VNC on the board and use the cores remotely?

no, you can't. It's the same as trying to install VNC to real SNES or ZX Spectrum.

bendo wrote:but is there any keycode like Ctrl-Alt-Del (what doesn't work) to reboot the board?

lshift+lctrl+lalt+ralt by default.

onaryc29
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby onaryc29 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:02 am

Hi,

from my understanding, all the cores and data must be put on a sdcard. It is possible to put the data on an external drive?

Edit :

The wiki for the diy concerning the io board has still the list components for 5.5 boards. The list is the same for the 5.6 version? Otherwise what are the missing items?

Thanks

nathanhardie
Atari User
Atari User

Postby nathanhardie » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:20 pm

I have a newbie question. Where or what or how do I find and setup the BIOS file for the FDS games on the NES core?

laserdisc
Atari User
Atari User

Postby laserdisc » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:57 pm

nathanhardie wrote:I have a newbie question. Where or what or how do I find and setup the BIOS file for the FDS games on the NES core?

The almighty Google or your favourite web search service. You may find a few dead ends but you'll find it.

Happy Hunting :)

nathanhardie
Atari User
Atari User

Postby nathanhardie » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:07 pm

laserdisc wrote:
nathanhardie wrote:I have a newbie question. Where or what or how do I find and setup the BIOS file for the FDS games on the NES core?

The almighty Google or your favourite web search service. You may find a few dead ends but you'll find it.

So it's just a normal BIOS? Do I rename it? I keep on seeing stuff about needing a powerpak version?

laserdisc
Atari User
Atari User

Postby laserdisc » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:11 pm

nathanhardie wrote:
laserdisc wrote:

So it's just a normal BIOS? Do I rename it? I keep on seeing stuff about needing a powerpak version?

I don't know of any powerpak version, standard BIOS (providing its a correctly dumped version otherwise keep searching) will work and rename it to boot0.rom

You can refer to the NES_Mister Wiki here https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/NES_MiSTer to get NDS going.
The main Wiki is here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

nathanhardie
Atari User
Atari User

Postby nathanhardie » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:53 pm

Thanks laserdisc!

JamesF
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby JamesF » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:23 pm

Where is the "KBD TOGGLE" button on the keyboard,, Num Lock?
I can't enable Auto Fire using a keyboard.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:43 am

JamesF wrote:Where is the "KBD TOGGLE" button on the keyboard,, Num Lock?
I can't enable Auto Fire using a keyboard.

you have to define it in Menu core.

Xkenx
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Xkenx » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:21 am

Hi,

Maybe a stupid question!?
How do I activate fonts?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:04 am

Xkenx wrote:Hi,

Maybe a stupid question!?
How do I activate fonts?

check the sample ini:
https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_Mi ... MiSTer.ini

Xkenx
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Xkenx » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:13 am

Thanks Sorgelig

Glaurung
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Glaurung » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:22 am

Another newbie question:

-Why no complex arcade games like in MAME? Its more dificult to "fpga it"?, or just mister can't do that?

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:15 am

Glaurung wrote:Another newbie question:

-Why no complex arcade games like in MAME? Its more dificult to "fpga it"?, or just mister can't do that?

Make the complex one - everyone will be happy.
Cores don't grow on trees. Some one has to develop them.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:47 am

Glaurung wrote:Why no complex arcade games like in MAME? Its more dificult to "fpga it"?, or just mister can't do that?

MAME has benefited from hundreds of developers and contributors for over 20 years. Get that manpower behind MiSTer and it can maybe get to the same stage.

FPGA tech is different, it can do a lot but it needs a rewrite. One can't just port software emulators. It also allows more accuracy/less lag but that needs careful testing versus original hardware to be done well. It all takes time.

That being said, the Neogeo core is doing great progress. So we will soon have a lot more arcade stuff.

djmartins
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby djmartins » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:03 am

Glaurung wrote:Another newbie question:

MiSTer's FPGA is pretty beefy and capable of more than MiST but as is said here it takes
developers to write the cores and people who can write for FPGAs are scarcer than programmers.
I can't.
That being said MiSTer has a lot of cores out of all the FPGA retro machines I have seen out there
and most of them run pretty good.

z00pster
Atariator
Atariator

Postby z00pster » Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:43 pm

Hi

I've been having problems getting the Minimig core to work well with a wired mouse connected via a USB hub (tried two mice and two hubs). The pointer movement and single click works well but I'm having real trouble getting double click to work. This is on the latest mister and Minimig releases. Any thoughts on what might be the issue?

Thanks
John

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:08 pm

z00pster wrote:Hi

I've been having problems getting the Minimig core to work well with a wired mouse connected via a USB hub (tried two mice and two hubs). The pointer movement and single click works well but I'm having real trouble getting double click to work. This is on the latest mister and Minimig releases. Any thoughts on what might be the issue?

Thanks
John

it's unclear if you had problem in previous releases.

z00pster
Atariator
Atariator

Postby z00pster » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:38 pm

Sorgelig wrote:
z00pster wrote:Hi

Thanks
John

it's unclear if you had problem in previous releases.

Understood and thanks for taking the time to respond. I've has the Mister for a week so really hard to say. Pretty everything else keyboard, USB controller and most of the mouse functions appear to work well. I've tried two different Amiga hdf set ups (a 3.1.4 WB and a 3.1 Classic WB set up). Like I say its very odd.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:09 pm

Leave on USB only mouse and try again.
May be you need to try other USB hub or just try mouse on other USB port.

z00pster
Atariator
Atariator

Postby z00pster » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:43 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Leave on USB only mouse and try again.

Tried that and another borrowed USB 3 powered hub but no joy. I'm going to order the MiSTer USB hub add-on either way. Someone else reported the same issue on the Discore mister-help channel. Thanks.

z00pster
Atariator
Atariator

Postby z00pster » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:03 pm

z00pster wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:Leave on USB only mouse and try again.

Tried that and another borrowed USB 3 powered hub but no joy. I'm going to order the MiSTer USB hub add-on either way. Someone else reported the same issue on the Discore mister-help channel. Thanks.

Just had a FB message from another MiSTer user who spotted the same problem since the new update.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:56 pm

Ok, it seems i have the same issue.

Return to “MiSTer”