Memory protection in MiNT reworked

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

ThorstenOtto
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Memory protection in MiNT reworked

Postby ThorstenOtto » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:51 am

Mainly due to some bugs recently discovered which become obvious with 256MB or more of TTRAM, the MMU routines have been reworked. If you had the same problem, and MP did not work until now because there was too much RAM ;), please give it a try. Of course could also help to test that on other configurations, to find out if it did break anything.

Current snapshot builds are available via the FreeMint website.

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Memory protection in MiNT reworked

Postby jury » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:53 pm

I totally failed trying memory protection before, insane things always were happening. It could be because I have 256MB.
Will try this one.

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:40 pm

I finally tried this and for me its the same. When memory protection is turned on, I can not run any executable ( and I mean any, not even one thing ) I immediately get a message that an application was killed because of memory violation. I tried to run many games, demos, apps/tools ( conholio, qed, mxPlay, flagset ... )

Edit:
The only memory protection that kind of worked for me, was in first Freemint I had touch with and it was version 16.sth.sth. It also worked really crazy and weird ( so I also never used it, just tried ) but it did not crash executables right away like currently.

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:06 am

jury: while it's true this new MP still needs deep investigation as it didn't work very well on my CT2 (which is now disassembled for some time...), the symptoms you are describing look more like a HW problem. Many people (mostly developers) use MP all the time.

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:30 am

Thanks, will check it hardware-wise.

emcclariion
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby emcclariion » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:52 am

I don't think its a above 256 problem, I was having issues with 64MB.

Zview was being killed and other clean programs
Atari TT Nova card Mach64, Lightning VME, 64MB of RAM, Mega STE 4MB, Nova mach 32 and Atari STE 4MB TOS 2.06 Netusb Ultrasatan 2, Atari Falcon CT60 512MB Netusb

susher
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby susher » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:31 pm

Hmmm... It must be a change since 1.12 then as my TT has 68MB of RAM and memory protection works fine under the older kernels. I wonder if the page translation table was restructured.

stormy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby stormy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:43 pm

Same here... memory protection has never worked on my TT or my Falcon. Apps like Atari IRC would crash, Taskbar, Falcamp... random.
Falcon ct60e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64 2mb // Atari STM 4160 - 4MB ram - 16Mhz exxos 1.5 booster - Ultrasatan

Gaiyan
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Gaiyan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:43 am

New kernel fixed the MP problem on my TT with 256MB. But I'm having weird hangs on newer kernels. Right after the "Installing BIOS Keyboard Table blah blah" or something like that.

Oddly, by random co-incidence, I noticed that if bigdos was accidentally left on from my TOS boot-set, it didn't hang.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:29 am

stormy wrote:Same here... memory protection has never worked on my TT or my Falcon. Apps like Atari IRC would crash, Taskbar, Falcamp... random.

Which desktop are you using?
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:58 pm

Gaiyan wrote:New kernel fixed the MP problem on my TT with 256MB. But I'm having weird hangs on newer kernels. Right after the "Installing BIOS Keyboard Table blah blah" or something like that.

Oddly, by random co-incidence, I noticed that if bigdos was accidentally left on from my TOS boot-set, it didn't hang.

I hit the same issue last year with my Falcon. What you saw with Bigdos making disappear the problem is because it depends where the kernel is loaded in memory the issue arises or not, this made me think about a hardware problem but I tested changing the RAM module and the hang persisted, so it looks like there is something wrong with the kernel's 030 MMU code, even more now that someone else is able to replicate the problem.

Gaiyan
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Gaiyan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:02 pm

Galvez wrote:
Gaiyan wrote:New kernel fixed the MP problem on my TT with 256MB. But I'm having weird hangs on newer kernels. Right after the "Installing BIOS Keyboard Table blah blah" or something like that.

I hit the same issue last year with my Falcon. What you saw with Bigdos making disappear the problem is because it depends where the kernel is loaded in memory the issue arises or not, this made me think about a hardware problem but I tested changing the RAM module and the hang persisted, so it looks like there is something wrong with the kernel's 030 MMU code, even more now that someone else is able to replicate the problem.

Interesting. Makes sense.

stormy
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby stormy » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:18 pm

joska wrote:
stormy wrote:Same here... memory protection has never worked on my TT or my Falcon. Apps like Atari IRC would crash, Taskbar, Falcamp... random.

Which desktop are you using?

Teradesk
Falcon ct60e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64 2mb // Atari STM 4160 - 4MB ram - 16Mhz exxos 1.5 booster - Ultrasatan

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:08 am

Galvez wrote:

See also David's report here: https://github.com/freemint/freemint/is ... -421922818

For me, I could replicate this on my CT2 (which has, same as Gaiyan, a 030 + TT RAM) but this Falcon is unfortunately disassembled for a few months now (shame on me). So that makes at least three of us who can replicate this odd issue.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”