MiNT upgrade

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

MiNT upgrade

Postby jury » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:33 am

I have been using latest Easymint install for quite some time.
Decided to upgrade it so I downloaded archived trunk from here:
https://github.com/freemint/freemint
and I did:
- backed up the current mint folder
- mint060.prg went to AUTO folder
- MINT folder from trunk archive went to C:/
- from trunk driver folder I copied proper drivers from 060 architecture to C:/MINT/1-19-CUR ( I was looking up the driver filename from easymint install and I was copying the same filename from trunk archive )
- copied mint.cnf and xaaes.cnf from backed up easymint installation to the current mint and xaaes folder
- restarted machine, the error from error1.jpg showed and I have seen a message about missing moose.adi
- did not find any moose.adi in trunk archive so copied this to XAAES folder from backed up easymint installation
- again restart and now error from error2.jpg always shows up.

Attaching the xa_boot.log ( log1.jpg, log2.jpg, log3.jpg, log4.jpg )
Machine is CT63 with Super Videl
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: MiNT upgrade

Postby joska » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:19 am

The error message say that you are attempting to load a kernel module that is not compatible with the current kernel. My guess is that you are still loading the XaAES kernel module from the original EasyMiNT installation.

EasyMiNT is not so easy, you don't specify which AES to start in mint.cnf like in a "conventional" MiNT setup. Instead it is started by the init-scripts, the xaloader.prg to run is specified in (from memory!) /etc/ttytab. You must update this to point to your new xaloader in order to load the XaAES kernel module that belongs to the 1.19 kernel.
Last edited by joska on Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:53 am

joska wrote:the xaloader.prg to run in specified in (from memory!) /etc/ttytab. You must update this to point to your new xaloader in order to load the XaAES kernel module that belongs to the 1.19 kernel.

Oh, yes, I have completely forgot about this /etc/ttytab. Will check it, thanks.

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:19 pm

Path to xaloader in /etc/ttytab was pointing to correct file. But I found out what was wrong, that moose.adi taken from the current MiNT installation was causing this. I found out that moose.adi exists in the trunk archive, so copied it from there and now the new system starts properly :)

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:11 am

jury, you have added to yourself a lot of unnecessary work :) If you downloaded the "new" archive (1-19-some_build-number), the only thing needed to change would be path to desktop in xaaes.cnf and disabling your old mint060.prg in AUTO. :) No other renaming or joggling with files.

Also, and I'm ashamed to admit it, the trunk archive is way out of date, Travis build is failing for some months now. I've been working on this now and then but... in short, out of date for now. :-P

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:27 am

mikro wrote:jury, you have added to yourself a lot of unnecessary work :) If you downloaded the "new" archive (1-19-some_build-number), the only thing needed to change would be path to desktop in xaaes.cnf and disabling your old mint060.prg in AUTO. :) No other renaming or joggling with files.

Yes, you are right. But as my MiNT setup is tuched once 2 or even more years I always forget all the insides of what, how and where is configured after that time. So I did this manually on purpose, just for refresh of my memory cells :)

mikro wrote:Also, and I'm ashamed to admit it, the trunk archive is way out of date, Travis build is failing for some months now. I've been working on this now and then but... in short, out of date for now. :-P

Yeap, seen the date of the build, but my current setup was about 3 years older. Generally my first impression of the new setup was that its noticeably more responsive so for sure I have made a progress :) But I have just tested it for a short period, need to spend more time with it.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”