PC Engine core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: PC Engine core

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:41 am

It's correct direction. Source then destination.
The button you press is source obviously -> source of action. And it will be acted as destination button you press the second.
You just happen to have reversed intuition :)

cloudd
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby cloudd » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:36 pm

It is my fault. I just did not read the instructions correctly on the screen. :?

Is there anyway to save this additional button configuration for the core or is this supposed to reset upon rebooting the mister?

It does not seem to save the configuration If I select “save settings” and reboot the mister. Once the mister has rebooted and the core reloaded with the same game or a different game the newly duplicate mapped buttons seem to be missing. If I change any of the other settings for the core my changes are saved and still present after "save settings" is selected and the mister is rebooted.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:52 pm

cloudd wrote:Is there anyway to save this additional button configuration for the core or is this supposed to reset upon rebooting the mister?

you cannot save it. The name of this function clearly tell it's re-map for a game. Different game may have different combinations for extra buttons. So it's temporary remap.

cloudd
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby cloudd » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:23 pm

you cannot save it. The name of this function clearly tell it's re-map for a game. Different game may have different combinations for extra buttons. So it's temporary remap.

I don't want to map random buttons for each game. I just want 2 permanent auto-fire buttons for the Button "I" & "II". The majority of the games in the PC engine and Turbo Grafx library are 2 button games and the original controller allowed for auto-fire(turbo fire) to be turned on/off during gameplay. This was part of the strategy to beating the games. Some examples are Vigilante, Dragon Spirit, Ninja Spirit, Moto Roader II (to get to the front of the race), Bonk's Adventure

eg. on an xbox360 controller.

I = A
I - Auto-fire = X
II = B
II - Auto-fire = Y

Is there any possibility of adding this feature for the PC engine core or to save the additional duplicate mapped buttons to a game configuration file?

It is a hassle to remap the buttons every time I play one of the above games. A keyboard must be connected to the mister in order to hit enter after the buttons have been mapped in order to accept the buttons changes.

Thanks

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:19 am

WHat's problem to activate/deactivate the autofire on original buttons?

cloudd
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby cloudd » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:36 pm

The problem is that activating and deactivating the turbo-fire on a button is not a simple press of another button on the Mister. Using multiple buttons to activate and deactivate the turbo-fire in the middle of fighting a boss or racing (moto roader II), complicates the process taking away from the original feel of the game on turbo grafx. You will end up dying or having to pause the game. If I wanted turbo-fire active for the entire time I played the game then this would make more sense.

The turbo-fire on a real turbo grafx controller can be adjusted in mid game by flicking your index finger up/down on the turbo-fire switch. This allows the player to easily change it in the middle of a game without pausing, breaking their concentration and possibly dying. Many of the games were designed with the use of turbo-fire being able to be adjusted in the middle of gameplay. If the player cannot do this the games lose their authentic feel because the player will have to use different strategies.

albconde
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby albconde » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:40 pm

In my opinion the best example is R-type you can not actívate\deactivate all the time the autofire.
I use one button to autofire , and another to "charged" fire.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:17 pm

I can add a way to finish remapping by pressing OSD button, so keyboard won't be required. The remaining will be the same as it's really depends on specific game. I don't see a problem to remap the button when specific game is used.
R-Type is just one of few games where autofire doesn't allow to use mega fire. This is why i've added remapping.

cloudd
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby cloudd » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:10 pm

That would definitely help and allow for the game to be played the way I remember it.

But really a way to map 2 buttons for “I” and “II” for the pcengine core default 2 button controller configuration would be best.

Or as another option

A way to save the addional button mappings on a per game basis. Saving on a per game basis seems a little messy because there would probably need to be a config file for each of the games or a master configuration which could create problems for users who mess up the remappings.

Once the CD-rom games get implemented I can think of “Cotton” as a game that turbo-fire is required or you will automatically use you special powers.

Turbo-fire on to shoot & drop bombs
Turbo-fire off to do your special powers

deltax5
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby deltax5 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:27 pm

Thanks for your hard work.
Most games run just fine. one of the top cores I play.
Im wondering are they thinking putting cd support? I hear very little extra hardware is added so a expenchon would be possible? I hear it uses extra ram and something else. Not like the sega cd which is basically another system ontop of a system.
Or will TG cd need it's own core?

cloudd
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby cloudd » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:21 pm

Sorgelig wrote:I can add a way to finish remapping by pressing OSD button, so keyboard won't be required. The remaining will be the same as it's really depends on specific game. I don't see a problem to remap the button when specific game is used.
R-Type is just one of few games where autofire doesn't allow to use mega fire. This is why i've added remapping.

Can you add the OSD button as a way to finish remapping?

That would be awesome. I really love this core it works so well. Thanks for creating the Mister project.
Last edited by cloudd on Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cloudd
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby cloudd » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:40 pm

When using HDMI and loading a game rom sometimes I get a black screen and can hear the game playing but I can't see it. Doing a warm reboot as well as a cold reboot and reloading the rom again does not fix the problem. Unplugging the the power from the wall and applying it again usually works but sometimes I must unplug the Mister multiple times before I can load the game rom and see the video. Once it loads there are no problems.

I am using Turbografx 19.01.09.

Does anyone else seem to have this problem?

JUNKERSeed
Atarian
Atarian

Postby JUNKERSeed » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:08 pm

cloudd wrote:When using HDMI and loading a game rom sometimes I get a black screen and can hear the game playing but I can't see it. Doing a warm reboot as well as a cold reboot and reloading the rom again does not fix the problem. Unplugging the the power from the wall and applying it again usually works but sometimes I must unplug the Mister multiple times before I can load the game rom and see the video. Once it loads there are no problems.

I am using Turbografx 19.01.09.

Does anyone else seem to have this problem?

I just experienced this for the first time this morning. I cleared out my settings and everything seems to be working again (so far).

cloudd
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby cloudd » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:55 am

*UPDATE* - I have found the following problem:

When the Mister PC Engine core successfully loads a rom and I do a cold reboot from the Mister Core menu or using the reboot button on the AIO v5.3 board, then load the pc engine core again. I immediately find that the same rom I had previously been playing is still loaded and playable. The cold reboot is not working. This seems to be a 2nd problem to the blank video and sound problem when loading a rom above.
Last edited by cloudd on Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:06 am

DDR3 bridge hangs when time between cores load is too short. Cold reset (or power cycle to be sure) solves this problem if you are not impatient and wait menu to appear just to immediately load the other core.

Altera never designed FPGA to work like this. It's supposed to load the single core at start and never change it til power off.

cloudd
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby cloudd » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:00 am

*UPDATE 2*

The problem is so bad that the Turbo Grafx/PC Engine core only loads video about 50% of the time when I boot up the mister.

*This seems to have fixed the issue after testing 10 reboots and loading the Turbo Grafx/PC Engine core*

1. Put the mister SD card in a Windows PC and delete the following files inside folder "config":
-TGFX16.cfg
-TGFX16_input_xxx.map
-TGFX16_scaler.cfg
Last edited by cloudd on Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:23 pm

I've already explained it above. No need to repeat it again and again.
There is no solution to avoid it. And most likely will never be.

vanfanel
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby vanfanel » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:13 pm

@Sorgelig: This core has audio problems, in PacMania the percussion channel of the main theme on the first stage sounds too loud and strange. I thought it would be a good moment to mention it since you are investigating audio problems with other cores (CPC, which it seems you just found the problem).

cloudd
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby cloudd » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:37 pm

@Sorgelig

I am not sure the problem you are speaking of is the same problem as I was having? My problem seems to be fixed after deleting the files I mentioned above. When I first started using Mister I never had this problem with the Turbo Grafx/PC Engine Core. It just started happening in the last 1 1/2 weeks. Seems to be resolved now. I just thought I would share what I did with others.

Thanks for your response

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:10 pm

cloudd wrote:I am not sure the problem you are speaking of is the same problem as I was having? My problem seems to be fixed after deleting the files I mentioned above. When I first started using Mister I never had this problem with the Turbo Grafx/PC Engine Core. It just started happening in the last 1 1/2 weeks. Seems to be resolved now. I just thought I would share what I did with others.

It was just coincidence.

cloudd wrote:-TGFX16_input_xxx.map
-TGFX16_scaler.cfg

these two are completely unrelated to core functions.
cloudd wrote:-TGFX16.cfg

this is just settings from OSD. You can simply reset the settings from OSD if you lost in specific values.

fille1976
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby fille1976 » Sat May 11, 2019 10:05 pm

Got graphics problems with andre panza kickboxing,sprites per line:std 16 vertical blank:normal,rom storage:sdram,normal settings,turbo tap disabled and controller buttons 2.

hyperterminal

Postby hyperterminal » Sun May 12, 2019 6:07 am

fille1976 wrote:Got graphics problems with andre panza kickboxing,sprites per line:std 16 vertical blank:normal,rom storage:sdram,normal settings,turbo tap disabled and controller buttons 2.

This is a known problem since September 2018: viewtopic.php?p=353452#p353452

fille1976
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby fille1976 » Sun May 12, 2019 6:44 am

Ok,thx.

seastalker
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby seastalker » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:37 am

Konami just announced an upcoming Turbografx-16 mini with PC-Engine and Core-Grafx varients! This is especially cool because I want to buy the controllers to use on the MiSTer and MiST!

Lightwave
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Lightwave » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:54 pm

seastalker wrote:Konami just announced an upcoming Turbografx-16 mini with PC-Engine and Core-Grafx varients! This is especially cool because I want to buy the controllers to use on the MiSTer and MiST!

Awesome, I’ll be grabbing one for the controllers as well. By the looks of it there are 2 USB ports, so it will be interesting to see if they include 1 or 2 controllers, and if the controllers will be for sale separately.

The funny thing (going by the images they have released) is that they replicated the lack of turbo switches for the original PC-Engine controllers, so even though the design is my favourite of the three I might consider getting the Core-Grafx instead.

Return to “MiSTer”