https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

PhantombrainM
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

MISTer (Main Core)

Postby PhantombrainM » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:16 pm

Hi there,

I found a bug in the latest MISTer Main Core. Vsync_adjust=1 is not working anymore.
Scrolling is not smooth when 50Hz games are played at 60hz Frequency. (Also not vice versa).

I testet Minimig (new and older Core) and SNES Core.

MiSTer_20181208 -> scrolling stutters, no vsync_adjust
MiSTer_20181129 -> Everything okay

kind regards,
PhantombrainM
Two beer or not two beer? - Shakesbeer.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: MISTer (Main Core)

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:41 pm

i will investigate it.

kitrinx
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kitrinx » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:31 am

Line 3089 of user_io.cpp I think should be "return ret;" to enable vsync_adjust.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:51 am

kitrinx wrote:Line 3089 of user_io.cpp I think should be "return ret;" to enable vsync_adjust.

i know this.
it will be fixed in the next release.

Unrealcpu
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Unrealcpu » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:50 pm

Sorgelig wrote:i will investigate it.

I have the same issue , downloaded mister ini that was made 3 hours ago

Super mario all stars and mario 4 , i can see a horizontal line like my monitor is not refreshing..

worked flawlessly before i updated

PhantombrainM
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby PhantombrainM » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:21 pm

Unrealcpu wrote:

I don't have the problems with your mentioned games. No lines visible...

But I had a fixed "line" with catmull custom scanlines (60%) in Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse (G) in the upper third intro screen while scrolling down.
After reloading while playing another game before and thinking about making a bug reoport its now gone and I never saw it yet again...

Then I saw a "line" while fading in and out in super nova (U)... but the second time now its also gone.

Maybe the experimental low latency "syncs / initializing" somewhere in the middle of the screen sometimes and stays there?
After loading the ROM again its gone or sync's /initializes at another position randomly? But I'm not sure yet.

video_mode=0 (720P)
vsync_adjust=2
vscale_mode=1
Two beer or not two beer? - Shakesbeer.

Unrealcpu
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Unrealcpu » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:49 pm

PhantombrainM wrote:
Unrealcpu wrote:

I don't have the problems with your mentioned games. No lines visible...

But I had a fixed "line" with catmull custom scanlines (60%) in Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse (G) in the upper third intro screen while scrolling down.
After reloading while playing another game before and thinking about making a bug reoport its now gone and I never saw it yet again...

Then I saw a "line" while fading in and out in super nova (U)... but the second time now its also gone.

Maybe the experimental low latency "syncs / initializing" somewhere in the middle of the screen sometimes and stays there?
After loading the ROM again its gone or sync's /initializes at another position randomly? But I'm not sure yet.

video_mode=0 (720P)
vsync_adjust=2
vscale_mode=1

Sorry got it working,

just noticed a new firmware out and was missing the ini
FIXED

esmith13
Atariator
Atariator

Postby esmith13 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:59 am

Now that the new main MiSTer core supports hiding/showing rbf datecodes, could the system-wide controller configuration in the main core please have the ability to assign a controller button to the temporary show/hide date code function (keyboard f2) please?

JamesF
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby JamesF » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:12 pm

For the lack of the better place, I will ask here.
Can the turbo speed be made faster than 100mS?
100mS is somewhat slow and I can achieve that by tapping manually. :D
Custom autofire period option would be ideal if that is possible.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:40 pm

Autofire is configurable up to 1000ms, but fastest is 100ms currently.
Autofire speed is not exactly the one you cannot achieve by taping. It's about not taping it all the time.
Many games cannot even react at 100ms period.

cacophony

Postby cacophony » Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:30 pm

I really appreciate the new scripts capability because of the convenient update now! :D

What do you think about having it start you in a directory called "Scripts" when you select the "Scripts" OSD item, similar to starting you in the correct rom directory when you select a core?

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:06 pm

Scripts are not so jailed as cores. They may need to be in specific folder for some functionality.
Also scripts aren't supposed to be used as frequent as cores. It's more like exceptional task.
I will decide it later after some experience of script usage from MiSTer UI.

I'm still waiting for Linux console core which will be more suitable for scripts than current way.

paulbnl
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby paulbnl » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:38 pm

I just sent a pull request to fix the constant high CPU usage. The fix brings it down from 50% to 1-3%. This should make it run a lot cooler.

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:12 pm

Is there a way that you can retain the directory paths for the cores? I keep all of the computer cores in a directory called _COMPUTERS, the arcade cores are kept in a directory called _ARCADE, etc. I also have separately directories in the _COMPUTERS directory for each computer, and sub-directories for disk images, etc. When you want to select a disk image the path always goes back to the root directory of the SD card when you pop up the menu with F12. It would be nice if the directory path remained the same as last used.
I am the flux ninja

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:41 pm

paulbnl wrote:I just sent a pull request to fix the constant high CPU usage. The fix brings it down from 50% to 1-3%. This should make it run a lot cooler.

No, it won't make it cooler. But sure it will make it laggy.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:34 pm

JimDrew wrote:Is there a way that you can retain the directory paths for the cores? I keep all of the computer cores in a directory called _COMPUTERS, the arcade cores are kept in a directory called _ARCADE, etc. I also have separately directories in the _COMPUTERS directory for each computer, and sub-directories for disk images, etc. When you want to select a disk image the path always goes back to the root directory of the SD card when you pop up the menu with F12. It would be nice if the directory path remained the same as last used.

Working directory for core must be in the root. This is the requirement. If you will do it, then file list will remember the last folder (if it will be inside the working directory).

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:20 pm

That's too bad. This makes organizing all of the cores into groups, along with disk images, hard drive images, etc. very difficult. I have:

_ARCADE
_COMPUTERS
_CONSOLES
_MEMTEST

Unfortunately, I have already run into two cores that will not work within a sub-directory. The MacPlus and ao486 emulations MUST be in the root directory (not _COMPUTERS where I would like it) or they won't launch.
I am the flux ninja

SmokeMonster
Atari User
Atari User

Postby SmokeMonster » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:15 pm

MacPlus & ao486 work fine having their RBFs in _Computer. Their files however must be in root if that's what you mean, but that applies to most cores. I actually love the MiSTer organization, since it's easy to keep all cores together in groups and separate from content. Makes my life easier at least 8)

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:48 am

Are you sure? I just tried again placing the .rbf files in the _COMPUTERS directory and neither will run (with identical MacPlus and ao486 directories in both the root AND in the _COMPUTERS directory). The MacPlus emulation displays a white blank screen and hangs and the ao486 emulation just goes black. If I launch the MacPlus or ao486 emulation from the SD's root (with the MacPlus and ao486 directories also in the root) they both work fine. These two are the only two emulations that have this requirement. I have ALL other emulations in individual directories within groups (COMPUTERS, ARCADE, and CONSOLES) and they all work fine.
I am the flux ninja

breiztiger

Postby breiztiger » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:03 am

sure they work in _computer directory :angel:

SmokeMonster
Atari User
Atari User

Postby SmokeMonster » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:22 pm

Yeah, both RBFs work for me in _Computer and I have their files in root directories: /MacPlus & /ao486

JimDrew
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby JimDrew » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:50 pm

So for you guys, you just can't have the MacPlus and ao486 directories in the _COMPUTER directory like all other cores can be - they have to be in the root?
I am the flux ninja

paulbnl
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby paulbnl » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:16 pm

I would like to see auto switching between 50/60Hz video modes. For example I am running the SNES core with video_mode 8 at 1080p60 with vsync_adjust=2 and when I start a 50Hz game the resulting video mode will be 1080p50 with 60Hz HBlank timings at 125Mhz. My TV does not support that so the screen goes black.

What about an additional video_mode_pal setting in MiSTer.ini?

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:06 pm

There is no flag of PAL/NTSC. It can be decided that 55Hz and less is PAL, while above 55Hz is NTSC.
I will think about it. Gladly, it's fully doable from HPS side.

skywalky
Atariator
Atariator

Postby skywalky » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:31 pm

Sorgelig wrote:There is no flag of PAL/NTSC. It can be decided that 55Hz and less is PAL, while above 55Hz is NTSC.
I will think about it. Gladly, it's fully doable from HPS side.

I've compiled MiSTer firmware to have the zip exploration fixed but the GnG core don't boot with my MiSTer. @Sorgelig, can you compile the fixed version? Thank you

Return to “MiSTer”