Show us your MiSTer hardware setup

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

MattE888
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Show us your MiSTer hardware setup

Postby MattE888 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:12 pm

Show us your MiSTer hardware setup! For my first setup, I decided to not spend any money and just use things I have lying around. It's a chop board, USB hub, and hot glue! The USB hub can be powered if I plug the power cord in. Hopefully I'm not the only person who has a weird cheap setup. :D

EDIT: I should probably say I don't have a heatsink or fan yet, but I'm only playing a few minutes of Genesis at a time until I do get those things.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Show us your MiSTer hardware setup

Postby Newsdee » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:14 pm

Here's my MiSTer inside its 3D printed case. The side panels are black:
Screenshot_20181110-021242_Instagram.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:49 pm

Here is a pic of my setup incl. midi gear :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thgill
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby thgill » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:09 pm

Here is mine.

I cut out a base plate from some scrap plastic and mounted the OTG hub underneath the DE10-nano. Had to use some longer standoffs under the nano to clear the hub.

Not pictured: Mayflash Sega Saturn adapter and Saturn gamepad. Also have a small wireless Logitech keyboard I use with it.

Like retro computers, game consoles and other obsolete junk? Check out Todd's Nerd Cave on YouTube

Indcsion
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Indcsion » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:41 am

Still waiting on a usb hub.

AndrewSisk
Atarian
Atarian

Postby AndrewSisk » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:56 pm

In aluminum box

MattE888
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby MattE888 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:39 pm

These are all really cool! I can't wait to make mine better. I'm getting some good ideas here!

AndrewSisk, the next time you open that case, can you show us what that looks like inside? I like how you have a SNES controller port on there. Is that a USB to SNES adapter or did you wire the SNES port up to the pins on the de-10 nano somehow? Very coooool!!!

nightshadowpt

Postby nightshadowpt » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:20 pm

AndrewSisk wrote:In aluminum box

How did you cut the wholes on the box? they look great!

I have bought an aluminum box myself, but I'm still trying to figure out how to cut it.

Cheers,

MattE888
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby MattE888 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:35 pm

nightshadowpt wrote:
AndrewSisk wrote:In aluminum box

How did you cut the wholes on the box? they look great!

I have bought an aluminum box myself, but I'm still trying to figure out how to cut it.

Cheers,

I'm interested in knowing that too. I was thinking about using a Dremel. Not sure how hard that will be though.

AndrewSisk
Atarian
Atarian

Postby AndrewSisk » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:32 pm

Thanks. Yes I used a Dremel and a set of small diamond files. Use a small drill bit 1st then file square. use the cut off wheel for big stuff. Just go slow. The snes port is a usb controller kit from retro usb wired to a plug. Will add inside picture when i get chance.

MattE888
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby MattE888 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:15 pm

AndrewSisk wrote:Thanks. Yes I used a Dremel and a set of small diamond files. Use a small drill bit 1st then file square. use the cut off wheel for big stuff. Just go slow. The snes port is a usb controller kit from retro usb wired to a plug. Will add inside picture when i get chance.

Thanks for the info!

nightshadowpt

Postby nightshadowpt » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:25 am

AndrewSisk wrote:Thanks. Yes I used a Dremel and a set of small diamond files. Use a small drill bit 1st then file square. use the cut off wheel for big stuff. Just go slow. The snes port is a usb controller kit from retro usb wired to a plug. Will add inside picture when i get chance.

Thanks for clarifying that.

What was the grit of the files you used? 150?

cheers,

jayp76
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jayp76 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:56 pm

Here is my setup.
While i have no 3D Printer or proper tools and skills for building a case from scratch, i decided to look for alternatives.
Outta pure luck i found this empty box for the Galaxy SII, and the dimensions somewhat fit.
I cut the appropriate holes with an exacto knife, and voila here is my ghetto case for the MiSTer.
I am using the USB HUB Board with a Y-splitter cable. For now i did not experience any thermal issues.
Not shown in the picture, i also use a small Wifi dongle with a Realtek RTL871x chipset.

IMG_20181116_211444b.jpg

implodetee
Atarian
Atarian

Postby implodetee » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:11 am

I decided to make my own SDRAM board (I've made two so far) and print the "MiSTer DE10 Nano Plates" by hugocraft on thingiverse. For the fan, I'm using a Noctua NF-A4X10-FLX 5V.

I'm really happy with this setup!

IMG_0674.JPG

BlockABoots

Postby BlockABoots » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:53 pm

Just made a simple fan mount board which houses a 50cm Fan, as i wont be using the I/O any time soon ill able to get a larger fan so get a bit of extra cooling.

Wonder if the person who make the 3d printed file available could make one to house a 50mm fan rather than the standard 40mm....

gojira54
Atariator
Atariator

Postby gojira54 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:52 pm

I'm liking the PCE core =]

Recommend getting a >2A PSU and then cheap 'cctv splitter' & inline power switch from fleabay

warham
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warham » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:45 pm

Lodovic
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Lodovic » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:51 am

Hi!

I've used what I had laying around to make a case for my MiSTer setup.

An old original Atari VCS was emptied of its innards to make the case. I added HDMI and LAN ports and a power switch extracted from a power bar.

Inside, I used a brown extension cord (looks vintage!) and plugged in the power adapters for the USB hub and the DE10-Nano. The USB hub was placed behind the cartridge port and its power light aligned with one of the vacant holes left by the control switches. I kept the VCS's power and reset switches for aesthetics. I thought they would look nice.

I used RJ45 and HDMI couplers to add those ports on the left side. Unfortunately, my Dremel slipped when I was cutting the ports and each one has a scratch. For the power switch, it went better and I placed it on the right side, under the console.

Inside, it's ugly as you can see. I used a lot of hot glue to hold things together. I drilled four holes to fix the DE10 and I placed it in this strange orientation because I might add composite out connectors later (if that is possible. The power adapters gave me some trouble because there was only one way to fit them inside without blocking something else. I wanted to keep the original adapters for safety reason and peace of mind.

I had to put a resistor to slow down the DE10 fan that came with the I/O board. This fan was extremely noisy and had a loud high pitched sound that burried everything else in the room. I think that my DE10 is still safe with all the room there is inside this case and the ventilation provided by the empty holes left by the original ports. I may buy a Noctua later (any suggestion for a quiet one that fit?).

I still have some finishing touch to put in, like a black grill behind the empty VCS ports. I also have to find a way to securely close the case as I had to cut the original screw stands to make room inside.

Edit: I’ve finally ordered a Noctua fan to replace the crappy one that came with the IO board.
Last edited by Lodovic on Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZEENPR
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby ZEENPR » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:56 pm

Here's my MiSTer inside its 3D printed case. The side panels are Gold. :cheers:

nathanhardie
Atariator
Atariator

Postby nathanhardie » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:43 am

Here is my MiSTer with the All-In-One sister board from Retroshop.pt on Facebook. Happy Holidays and may your MiSTer be merry

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:46 am

nathanhardie wrote:Here is my MiSTer with the All-In-One sister board from Retroshop.pt on Facebook. Happy Holidays and may your MiSTer be merry

You need more posts before you can post the pictures.
So come back to this topic later.

nathanhardie
Atariator
Atariator

Postby nathanhardie » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:50 pm

Okay Sorgelig. I did read the rules and didn't see anything about that. This is a little overwhelming with what I can and can't do. I just wanted to hangout with all you smart people. But anyways thanks for all the MiSTer work you do. It's fantastic!

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:04 am

nathanhardie wrote:Okay Sorgelig. I did read the rules and didn't see anything about that. This is a little overwhelming with what I can and can't do.

If I'm not mistaken that is an overall board setting, nothing to do with this specific forum.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:50 am

20190105_094141-03.jpeg

I finally got around to print NegSol's case with a bigger vent and buttons for the IO board. Here is my setup in its Mini configuration... I also plug it to my TV otherwise.

Lodovic
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Lodovic » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:37 am

Newsdee wrote:20190105_094141-03.jpeg

I finally got around to print NegSol's case with a bigger vent and buttons for the IO board. Here is my setup in its Mini configuration... I also plug it to my TV otherwise.

I like the GameCube look! :thumbs:

Return to “MiSTer”