HDMI video capture

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

HDMI video capture

Postby ijor » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:28 am

I didn't have HDMI capture hardware and I wanted to take some video samples from my new ST core. So I bought an affordable USB based HDMI capture. It is not a high performance Elgato, but it is not a no-brand el cheapo neither.

I found out however, that cheap capture hardware needs a very powerful PC. Initially I tried with my netbook. I assumed it shouldn't be a problem because the capture box has its own hardware decoder. Oh, well, the software wouldn't even work at all. Even disabling live preview, which is supposed to be the main CPU load, didn't help too much.

I then tried with a much more powerful PC. Not the very latest gamer hardware, I don't have such a PC, but a very respectable Intel Quad Core. Now it does work, but still with some problems including considerable frame drop.

I understand that the best capture hardware is to use a PCIe card. But for my purpose it's probably overkill. I am looking now into a PC free (standalone) USB solution, like the AverMedia Live Game Portable. Anybody has any experience with it?
Fx Cast: Atari St cycle accurate fpga core

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Re: HDMI video capture

Postby Newsdee » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:16 pm

I use the X-Capture 1 over USB3, and I love it.

It is on the expensive side but it blows away the AverMedia box I used to have (which crashed randomly during capture!).

It captures all kinds of legacy signals too (VGA, RGB, Composite, Component) so it is quite versatile. Only downside is that it does not upscale, but one can post process for that.

My PC is an oldish i7 2600 but it works great with it.

Sefirosu
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Sefirosu » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:54 pm

I have an Hauppauge HDPVR Rocket, it still seems to be sold but it was in liquidation back then for some reason. This one runs standalone like the Avermedia.

I also have an Elgato HD60, but this one still seems more expensive and requires a PC.

thgill
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby thgill » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:08 pm

I use the Startech USB3HDCAP. It's very similar to the X-Capture 1, just minus pass through video.
Like retro computers, game consoles and other obsolete junk? Check out Todd's Nerd Cave on YouTube

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:49 pm

ijor wrote:I understand that the best capture hardware is to use a PCIe card. But for my purpose it's probably overkill. I am looking now into a PC free (standalone) USB solution, like the AverMedia Live Game Portable. Anybody has any experience with it?

I believe NML32 Uses the AVerMedia Game Capture HD II so he is probably a good person to ask about that brand.

I'm using an Elgato HD60S USB3.0. I was advised that I wanted this model over the H60 which uses H.264 compression hardware to overcome USB2.0 bandwidth limitations.

The specs on my machine are not super powerful, but its no sloth. Ivy Bridge i7 3770 at 3.4 ghz, 16GB DDR3 1600, GTX 1060 GPU. Speed does not seem to be a problem. While recording OBS is using around 8-9% CPU and the included "Game Capture HD" software (which I don't really care for) only uses around 5-6%. The preview window does not seem to have much if any perceivable lag, so its possible to capture gameplay without using an additional monitor.

The only problem is I don't get HDMI audio with the FX CAST core on cold boot. What I do is start with the Minimig core, play some audio then switch to FX CAST. I would not recommend the Elgato because of this. This is a video of the process I use to get the sound working: https://youtu.be/cl9HpAoM6hU
Last edited by BBond007 on Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:01 pm

the1ross
Atarian
Atarian

Postby the1ross » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:41 am

Weird. When I tried U3, all I got was a garbled image.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:09 pm

I finally went with the Avermedia Live Game Portable 2: https://www.avermedia.com/gaming/produc ... portable_2

There are of course much better cards. But this one is affordable, works reasonable well, and as I wanted, it can record standalone directly to a SD card. No PC required.
Fx Cast: Atari St cycle accurate fpga core

w00tazn
Atarian
Atarian

Postby w00tazn » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:34 am

BBond007 wrote:The only problem is I don't get HDMI audio with the FX CAST core on cold boot. What I do is start with the Minimig core, play some audio then switch to FX CAST. I would not recommend the Elgato because of this. This is a video of the process I use to get the sound working: https://youtu.be/cl9HpAoM6hU

I'm having this same issue with no HDMI audio on my Elgato, but it's also affecting how I normally route my audio through my HDMI switch as I also do not get audio coming out of my monitor. I swear I've somehow tricked audio into working once for a single Arcade core but was unable to reproduce it reliably. Understandably there's a ton of things in my HDMI chain that could be causing interference but the MiSTer is the only HDMI device where I've failed to get sound so far. (tried both sample rates in the configs.) Whenever I plug the MiSTer directly into my TV everything works fine 100%.

Right now I can get by with capturing via analog audio, but I'd love to hear any thoughts of what I could do to troubleshoot this problem or if there's something in the MiSTer kernel that could be patched to help get HDMI audio working reliably.

alfishe
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby alfishe » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:38 pm

w00tazn wrote:
I'm having this same issue with no HDMI audio on my Elgato, but it's also affecting how I normally route my audio through my HDMI switch as I also do not get audio coming out of my monitor. I swear I've somehow tricked audio into working once for a single Arcade core but was unable to reproduce it reliably. Understandably there's a ton of things in my HDMI chain that could be causing interference but the MiSTer is the only HDMI device where I've failed to get sound so far. (tried both sample rates in the configs.) Whenever I plug the MiSTer directly into my TV everything works fine 100%.

Elgato has non-compliant default settings for audio (it assumes that if no audio frames sent by device - sound is AAC compressed. But by standard default is LPCM 48kHz that MisTer generates). I've created version of HDMI init that makes Elgato happy and allows to hear sound, but seems it produces issues with some TVs. That's why it was not released. Good news - running such core enables audio till HDMI cable disconnected or MiSTer powerdown. So I can run 'enabler' core and then use any core without issue

w00tazn
Atarian
Atarian

Postby w00tazn » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:06 pm

alfishe wrote:Elgato has non-compliant default settings for audio (it assumes that if no audio frames sent by device - sound is AAC compressed. But by standard default is LPCM 48kHz that MisTer generates). I've created version of HDMI init that makes Elgato happy and allows to hear sound, but seems it produces issues with some TVs. That's why it was not released. Good news - running such core enables audio till HDMI cable disconnected or MiSTer powerdown. So I can run 'enabler' core and then use any core without issue

Would it be possible to share this core or point me in the right direction of the tweaks I would need to make to the verilog so I could potentially compile my own?

Jeebs
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Jeebs » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:33 pm

Is there a noticable difference capturing at 1080p@60fps or 720p@60fps vs 1080p@30fps?

I just bought a capture device that can do 1080p@60fps but it's not all that convenient. The device I'm looking can do 1080p@60fps or 720p@60fps and seems way more convenient. I'd be uploading to YouTube so my question is will the difference be noticable for MiSTer gameplay?

alfishe
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby alfishe » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:39 pm

w00tazn wrote:Would it be possible to share this core or point me in the right direction of the tweaks I would need to make to the verilog so I could potentially compile my own?

Sure. Use modified hdmi_config.sv with changed ADV7513 chip initialization data. AudioInfo packets included to transmit audio format data.
You can use it with any core you like.
https://pastebin.com/raw/2ZG2CxtC

w00tazn
Atarian
Atarian

Postby w00tazn » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:41 pm

I was able to compile this on both the menu core and the genesis core (ascal) and did not have any luck in getting the audio to register correctly :(

Would you be able to share a test core that works for you to see if there was something I missed on my end?

w00tazn
Atarian
Atarian

Postby w00tazn » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:06 am

The latest versions mister have appeared to fix most of the issues I was having, but I am still having issues getting audio to work with most of the nintendo cores. Something about NES/SNES/Gameboy will fail to produce audio when connected to my monitor / elgato but will work fine on my TV. Other cores like Genesis and Minimig work 100%

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:16 am

w00tazn wrote:The latest versions mister have appeared to fix most of the issues I was having, but I am still having issues getting audio to work with most of the nintendo cores. Something about NES/SNES/Gameboy will fail to produce audio when connected to my monitor / elgato but will work fine on my TV. Other cores like Genesis and Minimig work 100%

May be your monitor/elgato need some audio level to get audio triggered?

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:38 am

Sorgelig wrote:May be your monitor/elgato need some audio level to get audio triggered?

Yes, that seems to be what it is...

I have Elgato HD60s and HD60Pro. Both do the same thing, it takes a certain volume level for the audio to turn on. When it does it fades in...

https://youtu.be/5vK69HcMDD4

I thought I could simply make a script, "elgato_fix.sh" that I could run before starting NES, but apparently the fix does not survive booting the core.

This seems like a really stupid "feature" Elgato included that probably nobody wanted or asked for...

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:04 am

May be can report the problem to Elgato team to ask them for option to disable volume sensing.

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:36 am

Sorgelig wrote:May be can report the problem to Elgato team to ask them for option to disable volume sensing.

I will definitely send them an email.

In the meantime, I have come up with a inelegant but working fix for the cores with ALSA sound.

elgato_fixer.sh simply starts the other script "asound_loop.sh" which will wait 10 seconds before playing sine.wav 3 times.

Other than that issue, I really like my Elgato capture devices...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

w00tazn
Atarian
Atarian

Postby w00tazn » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:47 am

Made some changes to the script to move it under the #Scripts/ folder but otherwise this elgato fix totally solves my problem.

Thanks for sharing and figuring out how to get audio to work again.

EDIT:
It appears to only work for cores using the open source scaler and does not work for the older scaler.

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:25 am

w00tazn wrote:EDIT:
It appears to only work for cores using the open source scaler and does not work for the older scaler.

I suspect it only works with cores that support ALSA Linux sound... the scaler is probably not a variable in the equation.
Last edited by BBond007 on Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sorgelig
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:28 am

it would be better if someone would patch either the driver or application of Elgato.

BBond007
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BBond007 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:37 pm

Sorgelig wrote:it would be better if someone would patch either the driver or application of Elgato.

I would think the driver needs to be fixed.

I'm not using Elgato's weird application for capture but it does do the same thing.

Ideally Elgato should fix their own driver, so I opened a ticket with Elgato support.

Hopefully there is already some option I am unaware of.

Xtro
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Xtro » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:36 pm

Just bought an AverMedia Live Gamer Portable 2 Plus and I am unable to capture 50hz PAL footage, with 60hz NTSC seems OK, but as soon as I change refresh to PAL inside the core (like on Genesis or C64) the capture does not get signal. Which MiSTer settings are you using to capture? Which scaler is better for HDMI, I use mostly the MiSTer with CRT monitor.

EDIT: Figured out that I must use video_mode_ntsc=0 and video_mode_pal=7 in mister.ini to get 50/60hz refresh rate but not all cores display on my capture card, for example C64 has no problem, but Amiga does not sync

Return to “MiSTer”