Gameboy core

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

brNX
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Re: Mister Gameboy core

Postby brNX » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:47 pm

That probably explains why I sometime had video issues when using the lite version before you applied the new scaler.

Good to know , thanks.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Gameboy core

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:20 pm

Just posted new version.
Hope it won't flicker.

brNX
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby brNX » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:34 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Just posted new version.
Hope it won't flicker.

looks good here.

The palettes are a nice addition, cool stuff.

BlockABoots
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby BlockABoots » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:43 pm

I have noticed when using the, 'Sharper_Bilinear_LCD_Effect' Filter on the Gameboy Core the scaler seems to be scaled at whatever the internal Gameboy core resolution is and so doesnt look correct.

This is how the effect looks on the SNES Core.....

and then on the Gamboy Core....

so the scaler effect is at a lower resolution and thus doesnt look right

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:48 pm

This is not a bug. It's because Gameboy has very low original resolution.

BlockABoots

Postby BlockABoots » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:05 pm

Sorgelig wrote:This is not a bug. It's because Gameboy has very low original resolution.

Yeah i thought it might not be a bug, is there a way to alter the filter so it looks correct for the Gameboy core?

BlockABoots

Postby BlockABoots » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:06 pm

Audio is vastly improved on the Gameboy Core now, but for Double Dragon 2 the actual music sounds correct but the sound effects for punching dont sound correct or dont sound at all.

brNX
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby brNX » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:20 pm

BlockABoots wrote:Audio is vastly improved on the Gameboy Core now, but for Double Dragon 2 the actual music sounds correct but the sound effects for punching dont sound correct or dont sound at all.

good catch, the sound(seems to be the noise channel) is triggered but it looks like the volume is too low.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:14 pm

BlockABoots wrote:
Sorgelig wrote:This is not a bug. It's because Gameboy has very low original resolution.

Yeah i thought it might not be a bug, is there a way to alter the filter so it looks correct for the Gameboy core?

i will correct it in next release

TuKo
Atarian
Atarian

Postby TuKo » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:35 pm

Is SRAM save implemented in Gameboy core ?

brNX
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby brNX » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:47 pm

Hi everyone,

just to sum up what I've been doing lately for those that don't follow github and to also give some kind of known issues list with this core.

In the next release you should expect :
  • save functionality (by kitrinx)
  • 10:9 aspect ratio (GB original aspect ratio)
  • lot's of graphical fixes and stuck(infinite loop) games fixes (wario land2 , baseball , double dragon3, micro machines...)
  • full MBC5 support (8mb rom and 128k sram)
    Pokemon silver and gold should be fully playable among other bigger GBC roms with GB support
  • Video sync fix, should fix the sync issues between screens.

Known issues so far:
  • Sound volume too low for certain channels (Prehistorik man music, double dragon2 punch)
  • Sprite priority (Sometime background is rendered on top of sprite)
  • Video glitches related do ly=lyc match (Parodius Vic Vipers' laser beam, Prehistorik man intro's bouncing text)
  • Burai Fighter Deluxe (Movement and projectiles are glitchy)

After the new version of the core is released I could use some help finding buggy games/demos now, the glitchier the better.

:cheers:

ghogan42
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby ghogan42 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:29 am

Thanks for all of the fixes! Between the video sync drop fixes, the scaler resolution fixes, save support, palette support, and better sound, the game boy core is really shaping up! :)

Filter Coefficients work properly too (I need to add this one to the repository still). Screen capture from Kitrinx:

m22_crop.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ghogan42 on Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:08 am

Excellent progress! Thanks a lot for these :cheers:

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:23 am

Would be good to add support for such famous games as Street Fighter II, Turrican

brNX
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby brNX » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:11 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Would be good to add support for such famous games as Street Fighter II, Turrican

I forgot to mention street fighter 2 in my last post, that should be a lyc=ly match issue, it looks like it's constantly swapping background maps.
I'm going to try Turrican (not in my usual games), that's why I need your guys/gals help :cheers: .

ghogan42 that looks really good.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:44 pm

I don't know how feasibile this is (memory may be a challenge) but it would be amazing if the core could run 2 instances side by side.

Why? Some games support multiplayer via link cable on 2 Gameboys. Having this feature would allow playing those games on a TV. It would also be a cool demonstration of the power of FPGA parallelism.

I suppose there is plenty of space in the FPGA for two full circuits, but not sure how hard it would be to share the RAM and the video.

There are lots of games that support it, including the original Tetris: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... _Boy_games

Is something like this doable or is it a lot of rework of the core?

brNX
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby brNX » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:01 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Would be good to add support for such famous games as Street Fighter II, Turrican

Can you elaborate Sorgelig ? About Turrican, I played it for a bit and didn't find anything wrong/different.
Sound effects that have lower volume maybe ?

brNX
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby brNX » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:14 pm

@Newsdee,

that would be a really "nice to have" feature, it should be feasible the only "problem" I see would be sharing the SDRAM access for the roms and of course how do you manage the sound mixing (left for player 1 and right for player 2?), but I think other features should have priority, a least for me.

Catskull over on github was asking for physical link support, connecting a MiSTer to a real GB or to another MiSTer (probably to link multiple GB to sync the music programs, lsdj and co.), again would be really nice but not in my priority list for now at least.

vanfanel

Postby vanfanel » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:34 pm

@brNX: This core is really awesome, but is it supposed to support Link's Awakening? It doesn't seem to work here.

brNX
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby brNX » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:54 pm

vanfanel wrote:@brNX: This core is really awesome, but is it supposed to support Link's Awakening? It doesn't seem to work here.

Link's Awakening and Link's Awakening DX both work, just tested it with 2018_1211

HeroOfTheDay
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby HeroOfTheDay » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:59 pm

vanfanel wrote:@brNX: This core is really awesome, but is it supposed to support Link's Awakening? It doesn't seem to work here.

Is your core up to date? I had issues with LA on an older build, but it has been working great on the last couple.

vorvek
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby vorvek » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:52 pm

Just tested Castlevania Adventure with the latest version, and it has some issues with the UI. It flickers, the timer at the top sometimes disappears partially, and the main character disappears when it reaches the height of the counter (climbing ropes, for example, to a higher screen).

I don't recall if this last thing happened in a real Game Boy, but I'm pretty sure the other stuff doesn't.

merlin4782
Atarian
Atarian

Postby merlin4782 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:48 am

I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem. The Gameboy core is displaying only a white screen when I load a game. I can still hear the music playing in the background and control inputs are registering fine.

warham
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby warham » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:39 am

merlin4782 wrote:I'm wondering if anyone else is having this problem. The Gameboy core is displaying only a white screen when I load a game. I can still hear the music playing in the background and control inputs are registering fine.

That's exactly what it did to me the first few times and then it started working out of the blue. Not sure if a reset/power cycle or something related to the monitor caused it but play with it a little longer :p

Dirtbag
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Dirtbag » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:31 am

brNX wrote:Catskull over on github was asking for physical link support, connecting a MiSTer to a real GB or to another MiSTer (probably to link multiple GB to sync the music programs, lsdj and co.), again would be really nice but not in my priority list for now at least.

Amazing idea I have a 4player GB link hub. 2 GBs a Super GB2 and with MiSTer imagine...

Great work on the core the progress has been rapid.

Return to “MiSTer”