MiSTer XS Case - v5.2 XS for SDRAM XS - extra slim - v1.1

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Sorgelig, Moderator Team

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

MiSTer XS Case - v5.2 XS for SDRAM XS - extra slim - v1.1

Postby NegSol » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:59 pm

Introducing a new 3D printed case for the MiSTer: MiSTer XS Case - v5.2 XS for SDRAM XS - extra slim - v1.1
MiSTer_Case_XS_cut.jpg

--
On request I remixed the MiSTer: Case Universal v5.2 to tightly fit the new SDRAM XS board v1.1.
MiSTer Case XS - v5.2 v3_C1_cut.jpg

--
The most compact version of the MiSTer cases. For a 40x40x10mm fan and the for SDRAM XS - extra slim - v1.1 only! This case is for you if you want the minimum case and still want to use the v5.2 I/O board's connectivity. Buttons are to be printed in place with the Top Shell. Also there are new holes for the LEDs of the I/O Board. There is an additional Top Shell without LEDs and without buttons. Pick the one you like best.
--
All 3D files are available on thingiverse and can be used without restriction.

Enjoy! :mrgreen:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2739031

Disclaimer: The case has not been test printed by me - please report back, should you encounter any difficulty.

New_Back_2.jpg

New_Top.jpg

New_Side.jpg

New_Back.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by NegSol on Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: MiSTer XS Case - v5.2 XS for SDRAM XS - extra slim - v1.1

Postby NegSol » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:45 pm

I had to do some minor tweaks on the Top Shell part (-->V5). Please download again.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2739031
Update_top.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:36 pm

i found 2 problems:
1) user button has some object at upper surface which will prevent it moving
2) the rib on upper part at VGA place should be cut. otherwise will collide with connector.

I think, the front and back plates should be closer to the board, so it will possible to make holes more accurate and separate for each connector.

I think, if you expect the buttons printed inside with ability to move, then it should be ok to expect the case parts be close to board.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:52 pm

It seems you've cut place for VGA connector in latest revision.
But i think, you made the case too close to VGA, so even you had to put niche for connector. It's not a good solution. I like slim case, but this is too extreme. It's better to allow VGA connector to fit inside without niche. VGA connectors can vary allittle for different manufacturers, so it's better to use it's max dimensions as a cube. By the way, VGA has a rib on the front.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:09 pm

I'm thinking.. May be it's better to screw top part to standoffs? In this case you don't need that side ears, and the screwing to metal will be more robust and allow to screw/unscrew indefinite times.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:52 pm

Thanks for your feedback. I will take another look at this next year. I guess making the vga connector part more spacious has advantages so a heigher case makes sense.

I am a little unsure how many people will actually be able to use the case (being for XS sdram only). Therefore I like the universal case approach better at the moment.

Also personally I like the front/back panel approach in general, as one can modify the panels even without great 3D design knowledge. Then one does not have to print the hole case if one wants to test something new. :D

Also please consider that I am by know means a design expert. Anybody is more than welcome to come in with better ideas and solutions. :angel:

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:36 pm

@Sorgelig - Nice spotting of the glitch in the button. I uploaded a fixed version for this (-->V6). Movable buttons should be printable now. :mrgreen:

Also the niche cut for the VGA should work fine. There is around 1 mm case wall left (more than 5 layers of printing material) - so no problem at all. I calculated around 0.5-1 mm wiggle room for vga connector tolerances. Should work for most situations I guess. However - of course it has to be printed and tested - before one can say: It is a fit. :mrgreen:

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:12 pm

I think, it's better to make top half higher ~2mm, so you won't need any cuts of top part for VGA. And it will look much better. 2-3mm won't change the size visually.
Also note the VGA connector position. The bottom of hole should be higher. I think it should be symmetrical to connector on top and bottom.

About connectors holes - i didn't mean to glue the front and back. The whole concept of panels will be the same. Just put these panels closer to the board, so the holes for connectors can be smaller and repeat the connectors shapes. Since you expect that buttons with 0.1mm(or less) gap around to be ok, while gap around the board is 2mm which is huge, IMHO.
Panels can be thinner if it will allow to make more accurate holes.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:59 pm

Agreed. I will look into make it bigger. Making the panels thinner is an option, but I cannot promise much here. Making changes to the tolerances could impact a lot of things and would require more testing. We will see. As for the lower hole of the vga, that is kind of useful to have. Fitting and removing the IO Board requires some wiggle room for manovering and lining up the pins. I will send you a model for a panel with tighter hole, but I cannot promise that you would be able to assemble it in one piece that way :wink:

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:08 am

New version of the case published:

MiSTer XS Case v2 for SDRAM XS - extra slim - v1.1

All in all 4 mm higher than MiSTer XS Case V1. I also changed the panel cut-out for the vga slightly.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2740925
Last edited by NegSol on Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:17 am

@Sorgelig: I attach my "unmodified" stls for easier customization (e.g. Panel without any holes).

Also find attached the OpenSCAD I use for the outlining of the case. This file can be used to test out tighter tolerances. :)

The code is a slightly modified version of the code found in this thing.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1264391
My modification added asymmetric clamping of shells.

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:34 pm

I'm not professional in 3D editing. I even don't know what that files for :)
I hope i will find some time to learn some basic 3D operations such as expanding surfaces. I can cut, but cannot expand yet :)
That's why i've asked to modify the case. I hope i will be able to modify it by myself some day.

NegSol
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby NegSol » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:12 pm

Again, I understand. But my modeling skills are crude at best. The OpenSCAD file is a program that can be parameterized and run through a compiler to produce a shape of the case (output is stl). Great to experiment.

My take on this is that to get a slimmer fit (looking at the panels) one would have to redesign the hole case. Maybe rotating the pcb and using only Top and Bottom Shell would be best suited.

I am quite happy with the current design. Maybe I get inspired and will work on it in new cases someday later this year. However, should anybody be interested or has questions I am ready to offer assistance. 8)

Sorgelig
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Sorgelig » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:01 pm

Further improvements for case can include the panel with 2 widths. The thinner part will be inserted into case, and the thicker part will have same thickness as ribs on top/bottom parts, so when panel is inserted, it will make a flat surface together with ribs.

Return to “MiSTer”