Atari 1040 STE video/graphics issues - help please!!!!

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Rosy89
Atarian
Atarian

Atari 1040 STE video/graphics issues - help please!!!!

Postby Rosy89 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:58 pm

Hi!

Having some issues with the on screen graphics.

We have an Atari 1040 STE.
The games load fine & as far as we can tell, the 1040 is working fine.
But when we turn the Atari SC1224 monitor on, it has a blue screen and the graphics are black. We've been trying work out why this is but we have no idea!
Can anybody help us to fix this please? :oops: :)

Thank you!
Rose x

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Atari 1040 STE video/graphics issues - help please!!!!

Postby Dal » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:24 pm

The most likely cause will be the monitor cable itself or the plug isn't pushed in firmly enough into the back of the ST. I've seen some instances where the cover around the plug fouls the casing of the ST and you need to wiggle a little to get it to go in.

If it's not "that' simple, then check the pins on the plug, make sure none are bent or missing. Beyond that, we're into re-soldering something. Where about in the world are you? There may be someone nearby who can help you get it going.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

mpattonm
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mpattonm » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:17 pm

OT: Welcome back from virtual graveyard, Dal.

jonathanm
Atarian
Atarian

Postby jonathanm » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:42 am

I had a problem with my Atari SC1435 monitor some years ago where the whole screen would flicker blue or magenta etc, I had to carefully remove the back casing and re-solder the video connector pins (first carefully removing the old dry solder using a solder sucker / braid), been perfect ever since. It shouldn't be hard to do since the socket is usually right at the back of the monitor. If taking the cover off you really need to be careful of the tube though - leave it for at least 24 hours unplugged from the mains to be sure any power has dissipated.

If you're not confident with a soldering iron or don't have a suitable one for electronics then get help from someone, it'd be a shame to damage it.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”