Support for other image formats

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

edingacic
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Support for other image formats

Postby edingacic » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:16 pm

Is it possible to use or implement .STX image formats from Autifit to be used with images that have copy protection? or some other format that can handle copy protection.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Support for other image formats

Postby mikro » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:50 am

Isn't there the problem that the library for reading them is not open source, maybe even windows only?

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:19 am

edingacic wrote:Is it possible to use or implement .STX image formats from Autifit to be used with images that have copy protection? or some other format that can handle copy protection.

"STX image formats from Autifit" - that's very bad to call STX images like that. Yes, Aufit can convert to STX format, but primary tool for making STX images is Pasti image tool by Ijor, which works on real Atari ST(E) machines. And of course waste majority of available STX images is done that way. Some are made with Discovery Cartridge.
I don't think that it is really possible. I was little involved in implementation of STX support for HxC floppy emulator, and that was pretty troublesome. Not so much because lack of library (detailed specs of format), but because some things in STX format are usable really only in emulators.
In other words, some STX images can be supported, some not.
Some other formats like SCP or Kryoflux need special HW. Would be possible to support Steem's STT format, most likely, but that's barely used.
If you insist on copy protection holding images get SuperCard Pro and attach it to Atari - hmm, actually I don't think that it works too :D
Unless someone makes such version. What probably will not happen, because there are other, simpler ways to play games on Atari without real floppies.
There is way to stop global warming.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:13 am

I was meaning to help implementing support for copy protected images, and I might still. But there is a hardware limitation that makes it very difficult to support some protections. It was long ago since we talked with Jookie about that, but IIRC the main problem is the limited bandwidth between the RPI module and the CPLD that handles the floppy bus.

kodak80
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kodak80 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:22 am

I know this is a bit off topic but what about Pasti STX on a Gotek with the FlashFloppy or HxC firmwares? Would this be possible?
Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards
Admin of Atari ST Review Magazine Archive: http://www.ataristreview.com

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:46 am

kodak80 wrote:I know this is a bit off topic but what about Pasti STX on a Gotek with the FlashFloppy or HxC firmwares? Would this be possible?

The HxC software can convert Pasti images to native HxC image format, HFE. But as Pera commented, some images work, others do not.

edingacic
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby edingacic » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:03 pm

Thanks for your insight. I really don't know anything about this from a technical stand point. My goal is to use my TT030 with Cubase and run Studio Module as emulated disk that was stripped using Super Card Pro. But I don't know how to convert this image to be used in Cosmos EX. There are many MIDI learning tools that have copy protection that we would like to save and made available for users. But the main thing is Studio Module to make it work because crack that we have is not stable for all.

crashman
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby crashman » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:43 am

Another solution would be to call the attention to the cracking masters, to finally release all those utils that are not for sale after all these years.
Most where very specific programs, that will become unavailable for the future generations if we let them die on the shelves.
260ST, 520ST, 520ST+, 520STFM, 1040STE, 4160STE, STACY 2, MEGA ST2, MEGA ST4, MEGA STE, TT030, FALCON030, FALCON030 with Centurbo 2rB, Firebee
SH204, Megafile 30, Megafile 60, Megafile 44
SM124, SM125, SM146, SC1224, SC1435
Satandisk, Ultrasatan, HxC SD, Hxc SD Slim, NetUSBee, CosmosEX, Gotek HxC, MicroCosmos
2600VCS, LYNX, LYNX II, JAGUAR

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:57 am

edingacic wrote:Thanks for your insight. I really don't know anything about this from a technical stand point. My goal is to use my TT030 with Cubase and run Studio Module as emulated disk that was stripped using Super Card Pro. But I don't know how to convert this image to be used in Cosmos EX. There are many MIDI learning tools that have copy protection that we would like to save and made available for users. But the main thing is Studio Module to make it work because crack that we have is not stable for all.

Post the SCP images here or, make them available somewhere. They could be written back to disk with the SCP, use them with an HxC floppy emulator, software emulators, convert them to a different format, crack them, or whatever. What matter is that as long as digital images are publicly available, they are not lost.

crashman
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby crashman » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:09 pm

I've posted a pair now on the Midi software section.
viewtopic.php?f=111&t=32583
viewtopic.php?f=111&t=32592

If you look at the Note Wizard post, it's strange that I couldn't make work my original disk, nor the copies I made with Supercard Pro.
But those same digital copies are working on Steem and Hatari.

ijor wrote:Post the SCP images here or, make them available somewhere. They could be written back to disk with the SCP, use them with an HxC floppy emulator, software emulators, convert them to a different format, crack them, or whatever. What matter is that as long as digital images are publicly available, they are not lost.
260ST, 520ST, 520ST+, 520STFM, 1040STE, 4160STE, STACY 2, MEGA ST2, MEGA ST4, MEGA STE, TT030, FALCON030, FALCON030 with Centurbo 2rB, Firebee
SH204, Megafile 30, Megafile 60, Megafile 44
SM124, SM125, SM146, SC1224, SC1435
Satandisk, Ultrasatan, HxC SD, Hxc SD Slim, NetUSBee, CosmosEX, Gotek HxC, MicroCosmos
2600VCS, LYNX, LYNX II, JAGUAR

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”