Hatari MIDI support

A forum about the Hatari ST/STE emulator - the current version is v2.0.0

Moderators: simonsunnyboy, thothy, Moderator Team

Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Hatari MIDI support

Postby 607 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:37 pm

Is there a way to use a MIDI keyboard with Hatari?

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Hatari MIDI support

Postby farvardin » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:19 pm

yes, if you're using Linux :

http://hatari.tuxfamily.org/docs.html

Q: How can I use MIDI on Mac OS X or Windows?

A: MIDI currently only works on Linux (and maybe some *BSD systems) where Hatari can write the MIDI output to a device file in the /dev file system. On all other systems, MIDI is not supported.

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:32 pm

OSX/macOS is also a BSD like OS and there is a/dev device folder too ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Faucon2001 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:30 pm

With a standard USB class compliant midi interface, configure Hatari to access the right /dev/snd/midi*** for input and output.
It works for me under Linux with a Maudio keyboard or a Roland SC8850 and Cubase 3. I have never tried under OSX.
Philippe

Firebee, Falcon, STE, Aranym Box, Hatari Pi Box.
My music http://www.philippeworld.net/
My photography http://phil-67.deviantart.com/
EasyAraMint, BeeKey and BeePi https://sites.google.com/site/emaappsarch/home

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:27 pm

See also this recent similar thread:

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=27649

Before 1.9.0, MIDI support on Hatari, even on the Linux version, didn't work too well, but from 1.9.0 MIDI support / functionality improved dramatically.

Part of the way through the development of V1.9, a specific tweak was also added to get around an incompatibility with the most popular versions of Cubase 2 (there was a problem with Cubase falling over when you navigated into any of the editor sub-screens) - since then I have been able to run Cubase 2 as well under Linux Hatari as on a real ST, which is really saying something if you know how smoothly Cubase 2 works on a real ST.

The current stable Linux version V2.0.0 presumably incorporates all of these improvements carried over from V1.9 - V2.0 is the one I'm using now, anyway.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:22 pm

MIDI output (Linux) support was added to Hatari v0.45 (2003), and MIDI input support to Hatari v1.2 (2009), from which point MIDI music output has worked pretty well (= was tested more extensively) e.g. in games.

There were additional fixes for different Cubase versions in Hatari v1.7 & v1.9, and as mentioned above, it was fixed for good for Cubase in v2.0. Some of those fixes were also needed by BadMood, Douglas' Doom game rewrite for Falcon.

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:19 pm

Once I connected my keyboard with hatari running the Maxymiser tracker, and it was pleasant to use it as a synth!

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:08 pm

Eero Tamminen wrote:MIDI output (Linux) support was added to Hatari v0.45 (2003), and MIDI input support to Hatari v1.2 (2009), from which point MIDI music output has worked pretty well (= was tested more extensively) e.g. in games.

I can only quote from the other thread I mentioned, in which (at the time) Nicolas (npomarede) was referring to V1.8....

npomarede wrote:..many improvements were made to midi timings in the current devel version, and they will be in Hatari 1.9.
When using Hatari 1.8, there's nothing you can do, it's not some settings problem, it's the emulation that was not accurate enough.

The problem I was having at the time was that Hatari V1.8 (no matter which MIDI software was involved) was only outputting MIDI data for a few seconds, then would stall. The program (sequencer, synth editor) would continue to run as though nothing had happened but no further MIDI data would be output until Hatari was restarted, after which the same problem could be repeated.

However, I must stress that the changes Nicolas made to midi.c during the continuing development of V1.8 completely fixed this problem and were incorporated into V1.9 stable, leaving only a specific problem when going into the edit sub-menus in Cubase 2.

This particular issue was very kindly and quickly fixed during development of V1.9 once I had flagged it up and Cubase is now as usable on Linux Hatari as it is on a real ST, for which I'm truly grateful.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:16 pm

It's possible that it had regressed at some point. It had worked fine with all the games I tested (Midimaze for networking, Leisure Suit Larry & Empire for music output) and many free MIDI program's from Tim's MIDI world (midimouse was my favorite) and Sequencer One I had gotten from a ST Format cover disk.

I don't think MIDI input had really been properly tested again after that, until v1.8. Or if somebody did test, they didn't bother to inform Hatari developers about issue...

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:58 pm

farvardin wrote:yes, if you're using Linux :

http://hatari.tuxfamily.org/docs.html

Q: How can I use MIDI on Mac OS X or Windows?

A: MIDI currently only works on Linux (and maybe some *BSD systems) where Hatari can write the MIDI output to a device file in the /dev file system. On all other systems, MIDI is not supported.

FYI: Jari Klemola just provided MIDI support for OSX & Windows versions of Hatari:
https://listengine.tuxfamily.org/lists. ... 00000.html

Once somebody else verifies that it works also on Windows (not just on OSX & Linux), the support goes in.

Postby 607 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:45 pm

FYI: Jari Klemola just provided MIDI support for OSX & Windows versions of Hatari:
https://listengine.tuxfamily.org/lists. ... 00000.html

Once somebody else verifies that it works also on Windows (not just on OSX & Linux), the support goes in.

Ah, I'll try to remember to try! I haven't got MIDI set up at the moment, but I might be able to do so this weekend... not sure, though.

edingacic
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby edingacic » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:21 am

so what is needed to make it work for osx is there a simple setup I don't get it :)

edingacic
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby edingacic » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:27 am

Is it possible for me to somehow pass midi out to DLS Music Device that is built in every osx? I have some apps that play midi files using this sound font. I just want to have Cubase running in Hatari and being able to hear these virutal sound banks. Here is a screenshot of osx app that plays midi files fine using probably GeneralUser GS v1.471.sf2 soundbank?

Is it possible to pass cubase midi out to Apple DLSMusicDevice ? and how would I set it up in Hatari?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:19 pm

I don't have Mac, but in general it should be enough to: select suitable MIDI interface from the Hatari GUI, and after that MIDI input/output should work fine. You may need to reboot emulation.

Troed has provided OSX build that includes the changes, if you cannot build Hatari from Mercurial yourself: https://troed.ddns.net/f/a44e383d76a446379312/

Social Media

Return to “Hatari”