USB keyboard/mouse interface

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

USB keyboard/mouse interface

Postby joska » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:55 pm

I've made (well, atleast started to make!) a USB keyboard/mouse interface. Mouse and keyboard is working, but I'm having difficulties with the hub so I can't use both at the same time yet. I will upload the sources here when I've figured out this problem.

I'm developing this on an Arduino with a USB Host Shield, but the code will work with little or no changes on boards like a Google ADK, Seeeduino, Teensy etc. Everything is handled by the Arduino, the Atari sees it as a standard ST/Falcon keyboard. So no drivers will be needed, and the keyboard/mouse/joystick will work with all software including games.

A new version of the USB Host library is in the works for the Teensy 3, which can be a USB host without any additional hardware. Also, it has three hardware serial ports which allows me to connect the Teensy between the original keyboard and the motherboard. So you can use both the original keyboard (and of course legacy mice/joysticks) and USB keyboard(s), mice and joysticks at the same time.

The Teensy 3 is around $20 so this is a cheap solution :) Just waiting for the USB host library to be a bit more usable, it's still in alpha stage.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: USB keyboard/mouse interface

Postby Faucon2001 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:47 am

Wow, excellent!!!
Looking forward to it.
Philippe

Firebee, Falcon, STE, Aranym Box, Hatari Pi Box.
My music http://www.philippeworld.net/
My photography http://phil-67.deviantart.com/
EasyAraMint, BeeKey and BeePi https://sites.google.com/site/emaappsarch/home

tenox
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby tenox » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:07 am

Great! Does it support mouse HID? Or is it PS2 over USB?

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:32 am

tenox wrote:Or is it PS2 over USB?

This is proper USB HID and supports all mice and keyboards with HID BOOT mode. That's most of them. Not so sure about joysticks, I really haven't looked into that part yet as I don't have a working USB joystick to test with.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:35 am

This would be perfect for me :D the ability to use the original Atari mouse and a nice modern mouse is ideal, as pixelling with a modern mouse with huge DPI is almost impossible :D

Stick me down for 2 please :)

edit: ah, I see its probably a 'built it yourself', please have my encouragement as well :)

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:12 am

spiny wrote:This would be perfect for me :D the ability to use the original Atari mouse and a nice modern mouse is ideal, as pixelling with a modern mouse with huge DPI is almost impossible :D

Not to mention that most modern USB "joysticks" (which aren't joysticks at all in most cases) are useless for retro gaming.

As for mouse sensitivity - it can be adjusted on the fly with a keyboard combination. As long as you're using a USB keyboard that is.

spiny wrote:edit: ah, I see its probably a 'built it yourself', please have my encouragement as well :)

I will not make any hardware, you'll have to buy the Teensy (or equivalent) yourself. The good thing about these is that they're extremely easy to program, you only need a Mac/PC and a USB cable.
Last edited by joska on Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jo Even

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:45 am

joska wrote:I will not make any hardware, you'll have to buy the Teensy (or equivalent) yourself. The good thing about these is that they're extremely easy to program, you only need a Mac/PC and a USB cable.

The Teensy 3 pass through variant sounds great. When it's done I'll happily do this for people in southern Sweden.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:10 am

Jo Even

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:00 pm

joska wrote:
I will not make any hardware, you'll have to buy the Teensy (or equivalent) yourself. The good thing about these is that they're extremely easy to program, you only need a Mac/PC and a USB cable.

yep, I made one of the ST Keyboard to USB devices you designed, so I should be ok :)

jamesarm97
Atarian
Atarian

Postby jamesarm97 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:21 pm

Glad to see an active Atari board. I just dug my old TT030 out of storage after it being flooded recently. I am trying to find the best solution for a keyboard / mouse replacement as i have not been able to find mine yet. Any thoughts or is this something that will be taken care of by the initial post by joska. I am familiar with arduino processors so that shouldn't be a problem. I came across a download for an Atari mouse to USB by Francis Olivier that may help with part of it but it looks like it does the reverse, takes an atari mouse and converts it to USB. I need to opposite for everything. PC / PS2 to Atari.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:13 pm

Yes, it will work with your TT. If you have an Arduino and a USB Host Shield (or an Arduino variant with built-in USB Host shield) you can have my current code if you like. The IKBD implementation is not complete yet but both mouse and keyboard is working.
Jo Even

Melies
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Melies » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:20 pm

Sounds good ! :)
1040 STF (TOS 1.02 FR) - 520 STE (TOS 1.62 FR + 4 Mb) - Falcon 030 (TOS 4.04 FR) - MIST

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Faucon2001 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:28 am

Any news?
Philippe

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:19 am

Nothing new. The problem with hubs is a real showstopper, as I can't use both keyboard and mouse at the same time. I've put this project on hold for now, will pick it up again when USB Host Shield library 3 is in a usable state.
Jo Even

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Faucon2001 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:39 pm

Hi Jo,

Is this project still alive or definitely dead?
Philippe

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:26 pm

It has been put on hold, not dead :) But I can't say when I'll pick it up again.
Jo Even

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:29 pm

If you use a keyboard/touchpad combo device like the Logitech K400 you won't need to support hubs in order to get keyboard and mouse.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:33 pm

Ok, I will see if I can find one of those to test with.
Jo Even

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:10 pm

Any chance anyone could convince Arne in this forum to open source his USB HID interface?

It seems a pity that something which seems almost done will go to complete waste and lots of effort needs to be put in to reinvent the wheel.
I don't know what's happened, and despite my attempts I haven't been able to get any response from him. Does anyone else here know him and could ask? Perhaps someone knowledgeable could continue where he left off and make this a reality..
Mega STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESSC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Kubik
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Kubik » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:41 pm

I was considering taking this and use it for similar purpose, but at the moment is rather low on my todo list. However, it looks like it is technically feasible to accomplish the task with just basic $1 Arduino clone... Perhaps someone would want to try it instead of me?

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:22 pm

Any progress or further development on this?
Mega STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESSC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

nobox
Atariator
Atariator

Postby nobox » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:06 am

If using an raspberry (zero, for example) instead of a arduino dont bother you, you can use my ready solution I described here:

http://forum.atari-home.de/index.php?topic=12582.0

An image for the raspberry you could download from

http://www.newtosworld.de/downloads/pla ... i/download

I preferred a raspberry over a arduino cause of the better software side (In linux, a USB Hub isnt a showstopper, it got all the drivers)

video of the solution made by neogain: https://youtu.be/VrN7FOLFnlA

The code is optimized for german keyboard layout, but it is open source, you can change it easily.

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:54 pm

My German is a little rusty, but I understand you've succeeded in making a USB keyboard/mouse interface, similar to Joska's idea?
So apart from buying a Raspberry Pi Zero you only need to install the software, connect it to the Atari and off you go?

Is the software easy to reconfigure in case you need to use other language USB keyboards?

nobox
Atariator
Atariator

Postby nobox » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:38 am

Yes, you understand it right, I made a USB keyboard/mouse interface.

For german Keyboard layout, there is a ready to use sd-card image.

For other languages you have to change the code I published in the german forum and compile it yourself and follow the steps I
described for using the serial interface with ikbd baud rate.

nobox
Atariator
Atariator

Postby nobox » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:07 pm

PS: Chances are not bad its working with different languages, too.

Its converting scancodes from german layout PC-Keyboard to german layout Atari-Keyboard.

But if you want to use it for an english Atari, you are using an english PC-Keyboard to.

And the scan code for the ";" key on an english Keyboard is the same like the "ö" Key on a german Keyboard

- If I where you, I would give it a test.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”