CosmosEx - basic questions document

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

CosmosEx - basic questions document

Postby Jookie » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:51 pm

Hello all,

I've created a simple and short (20 pages ;) ) document, which covers most of the basic CosmosEx questions, which get repeated too often:
http://joo.kie.sk/cosmosex/download/ce_basics.pdf

It might get updated in the future, with me answering more of your questions :) Yes, some of them ask and answer the same thing by using different words or from different side, but I hope this way people will more easily find the thing they need to know.

It's not as good and technical as the one from DrCoolZic, but this one is focused mainly on the different questions and how to simply do stuff, so it's not a replacement, but a complementary document.

Check it out and tell me if it might be helpful ;)

Note: There's also a CosmosEx guide by DrCoolZic:
http://info-coach.fr/atari/documents/_mydoc/CosmosEx_Users_Guide.pdf
http://joo.kie.sk/cosmosex/download/CosmosEx_Users_Guide.pdf

...and a quick guide on CosmosEx v2, by tIn:
http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=704

Jookie

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: CosmosEx - basic questions document

Postby DarkLord » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:07 pm

I like it. I appreciate all the hard work you've done, and continue to do, on your
creations.

One thing, you might want to add that you can use Alan H.'s internal ACSI cable
for the Mega STe and STacy to that section. You might want to add Stacy to the
Mega STe sections because they are the same.

Thanks.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Estrayk
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Estrayk » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:18 am

this topic need to be sticked please.
・Falcon 030+FPU 14mb CosmosEX・Atari MegaSTE 4Mb CosmosEX・Atari STe 4Mb GotekHxC+Satan・Amiga A600 Vampire V2・Amiga A1200 030/50・MIST・

Estrayk

Postby Estrayk » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:53 pm

Jookie, at page: 21:

How can I see if the USB mouse / USB keyboard / USB joystick is recognized and used?
If you open the IP address of CosmosEx device in a browser on PC, then in the web interface of CosmosEx click on the ‘Status’ menu item and check if you see some mouse / keyboard / joystick in IKBD section of status report.

Where is that "status menu" ? :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:
・Falcon 030+FPU 14mb CosmosEX・Atari MegaSTE 4Mb CosmosEX・Atari STe 4Mb GotekHxC+Satan・Amiga A600 Vampire V2・Amiga A1200 030/50・MIST・

tin
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tin » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:42 am

It's in the next release. It missed the deadline for this release unfortunately.

1st1
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1st1 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:04 pm

Well done. But I miss one thing which I had to figre out by myself for installation in more complex SCSI environement on TT:

Termpower signal supply
Power without the Price. It's not a bug. It's a feature. _/|\_ATARI

1040STFM in PC-Tower (PAK68/2, OvrScn, 4 MB, 1GB SCSI, CD-ROM...) * 2x Falcon 030 32GB/14MB+ScrnBlstrIII * 2x TT030 73GB/20MB+Nova * 520/1040STFM * 520/1040STE * 260/520ST/+ * some Mega ST * 2x Mega STE 500MB/4MB+M.CoCo * Stacy * STBook * SLM605 * SLM804 * SLM605 * SMM804 * SH 204/205 * Megafile 30/44/60 * SF314 * SF354 * 5x Pofo * PC3

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:52 am

1st1 wrote:But I miss one thing which I had to figure out by myself for installation in more complex SCSI environement on TT:
Termpower signal supply

Could you, please, describe what you had to do? I test it on Falcon borrowed from MiKRO, which already had an SCSI drive inside, so I didn't had to do anything else than just plug in the cable...

1st1
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1st1 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:25 am

The question is from where the terminator resistors on the CE get their power? From 5V internally? From Termpower signal on SCSI bus? Is internal 5V linked to termpower (over diode, fuse) ?

That makes difference. Because my TT I have modified, that it supplies Termpower (separated with different fuses) to internal and external SCSI bus (on TT termpower signal is usually not linked between internal and external SCSi connector). Standard TT does not supply termpower, but one internal and external drive has to do. So if CE also would supply Termpower signal with it's own 5V, no good idea as only one device on SCSI bus should do this, not two or more*. But on the other side, it would be fine if CE could supply Termpower that we can use it with just an "ICD The Link" or GE-Soft "Link 96/97". These adapters need termpower 5V from external as power supply. So usually a SCSI device has a jumper to change termpower supply. CE not.

*exception: More devices can do it, if they supply 5V over a diode. Best desighn would be diode plus 1A (poly-)fuse: 5V----|>|----#F1A#----termpower
Power without the Price. It's not a bug. It's a feature. _/|\_ATARI

1040STFM in PC-Tower (PAK68/2, OvrScn, 4 MB, 1GB SCSI, CD-ROM...) * 2x Falcon 030 32GB/14MB+ScrnBlstrIII * 2x TT030 73GB/20MB+Nova * 520/1040STFM * 520/1040STE * 260/520ST/+ * some Mega ST * 2x Mega STE 500MB/4MB+M.CoCo * Stacy * STBook * SLM605 * SLM804 * SLM605 * SMM804 * SH 204/205 * Megafile 30/44/60 * SF314 * SF354 * 5x Pofo * PC3

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:42 am

1st1 wrote:But on the other side, it would be fine if CE could supply Termpower that we can use it with just an "ICD The Link" or GE-Soft "Link 96/97". These adapters need termpower 5V from external as power supply. So usually a SCSI device has a jumper to change termpower supply. CE not.

CE does have that 5V -> diode -> jumper -> TERM_PWR pin link, but depending on from which batch the device is, it might have 2 pins there or only a place for soldering those 2 pins (marked as P2B - power to bus - on newer devices). On the other hand - my early tests with ICD Link showed some incompatibilities (timing - strict adherence to the SCSI standard - on both sides), so I'm not sure whether this is useful for that use case :)

Jookie

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:18 pm

Jookie wrote:
1st1 wrote:But I miss one thing which I had to figure out by myself for installation in more complex SCSI environement on TT:
Termpower signal supply

Could you, please, describe what you had to do? I test it on Falcon borrowed from MiKRO, which already had an SCSI drive inside, so I didn't had to do anything else than just plug in the cable...

Jookie, you had borrowed an TT from me as well! ;-)

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”