CosmosEx - new device for your Atari ST

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

AA01
Atarian
Atarian

Re: CosmosEx - new device for your Atari ST

Postby AA01 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:30 pm

Thanks for making the link for updates. I've been staring every day at this page for the past month to stay on top of it. Major time saver. :)

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:07 pm

ccarl84 wrote:You talk about Paypal. It's your prefered payment ? I don't have Paypal count, I want to pay with transfert Bank.
But if you say to me : "It's better with Paypal to be sure to obtain the C.E. I opened one.

It's not needed, if bank transfer is OK for you. But most of the people worldwide require it, so it's supported, and actually it's used by most of them. But bank transfer is fine with me, too.

ccarl84
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby ccarl84 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:24 pm

Hello Jookie,

I'm trying to buy a CE, I can't. It's write "you can buy the device now" and we can't ... :-( I hope it isn't sold out for this morning ?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:34 pm

ccarl84 wrote:Hello Jookie,

I'm trying to buy a CE, I can't. It's write "you can buy the device now" and we can't ... :-( I hope it isn't sold out for this morning ?

Damn it, I see what you mean... I accidentally uploaded the wrong file to a wrong directory on the web server, and thus replacing the store with the status page :? Now I have to see if I'm able to find the backup, or have to do some web coding again ;)

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:38 pm

OK, it should be better now... See if the page works or not :)

alektronic
Atarian
Atarian

Postby alektronic » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:46 pm

Just ordered one :) I'm so excited :-D

bugs
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby bugs » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:49 pm

Worked well, Ill go stand by the post office box now. bbl
Atari Falcon *2, Phantom,CT63, TT030, MegaSte with crazydots, Mega ST4 soon with exxo booster, Mega ST2, 1040STE, 1040STFM, 130xe *2, 1200xl nib, 800xl nib, 800, 400 (first computer from new) Lotharek MIST

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:21 pm

I'm still getting the status page saying that you need to send out the ones that are already ordered. Did you get that many orders already?
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:24 pm

yep, page was open for orders for about 30 mins ... I need to be quicker :D

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:50 pm

spiny wrote:yep, page was open for orders for about 30 mins ... I need to be quicker :D

It was open longer than 30 minutes, but the mailing app (ManDrillApp) sends only few e-mails per hour, so the first one got the e-mail hours before the last ones. The situation will calm down, this thing that happens after sending e-mails to all the people is crazy, because everybody tries to buy it at the same time. But without further e-mail notifications, relying just on the info from status page, people will get the things at the slower rate, and it will be less crazy ;)

ccarl84
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby ccarl84 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:05 pm

Good evening,

Is it possible to know if just for those who pay by bank, our purchase was took into account.

I was able this morning to buy a Cosmos Ex and as I pay by bank transfer, I do not know if my purchase is considered.

Thank you to answer us if you have time. (Nothing serious otherwise).

++

areeve
Atarian
Atarian

Postby areeve » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:14 pm

One thing I don't understand about CosmosEx is why I would want one with just ACSI when the one with both SCSI and ACSI costs the same. What am I missing?

Dave400
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Dave400 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:44 pm

HI Jookie,

I'm very tempted by the Cosmosex, missed out on the current batch by a couple of hours..

I do have a question, although the Zero is rare as chuff at the moment, seeing as it's effectively the same hardware as a Model B could one be used with a wifi dongle in lieu of the wired LAN port?

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:41 am

I really want one of these, I need to replace my Falcon's floppy drive anyhow, seems it doesn't like to read all the disks I put into it, even though they read/write fine on my TT030.
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:32 am

ccarl84 wrote:Is it possible to know if just for those who pay by bank, our purchase was took into account.
I was able this morning to buy a Cosmos Ex and as I pay by bank transfer, I do not know if my purchase is considered.

After you do the payment using bank transfer, you write an e-mail (if you pay by PayPal, this is automatic). I usually reply to the manual bank notification that I'll keep an eye on my bank account. Then I check the bank account for the next few days, and if the payment comes, then I mark that order as paid and send it... Otherwise - if you don't see your order marked as paid after few days (2 or 3), write an e-mail to me to see what happened. In the best case I just failed to see the payment in my account, in worse case the payment won't come (e.g. gets rejected by my / your bank), and then we have to contact the bank (happened to me once).

areeve wrote:One thing I don't understand about CosmosEx is why I would want one with just ACSI when the one with both SCSI and ACSI costs the same. What am I missing?

If you are sure that you never going to use SCSI (e.g. you don't have a Falcon or TT), the ACSI version has the ACSI and FDD connector pointing from outside of the box (no need to take the top cover off).
http://joo.kie.sk/cosmosex/buy/images/ce2_acsi_wo_big.jpg
If you buy the SCSI + ACSI version, the SCSI connector is too wide to let also ACSI and FDD stick out of the back, so the SCSI connector is sticking out of the back alone, and ACSI and FDD connectors are pointing upwards, so to get to ACSI and FDD you have to take the top cover off.
http://joo.kie.sk/cosmosex/buy/images/ce2_scsi_wo_big.jpg

Dave400 wrote:I'm very tempted by the Cosmosex, missed out on the current batch by a couple of hours..

No, you missed only the first wave of devices being sold from the batch, as it takes time to finish, pack and send them, and I can't do that to all of them in one week. There's still plenty to get ;)

Dave400 wrote:I do have a question, although the Zero is rare as chuff at the moment, seeing as it's effectively the same hardware as a Model B could one be used with a wifi dongle in lieu of the wired LAN port?

Theoretically - yes. But you would have to solder the 2*20 pins there (GPIO connector is missing), you would have to fiddle with putting it nicely in the box, and also the box is prepared for the normal Raspberry Pi with USB connectors sticking out of the front, and you would be missing those USB connectors as the Pi Zero has only one USB connector... But it's doable.... and I'm not doing it ;) so if you're some hardware hacker / hobbyist of some sort, go ahead and try it, I can give you some hints ;)

areeve
Atarian
Atarian

Postby areeve » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:15 pm

Thanks for the response to all of these Qs!

FWIW the store was open this a.m. and I was able to get my order in/paid for. If you're wanting one of these you might want to check NOW.

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:03 pm

Ha, I missed it a second time. Lousy work.

Edit: Because of timezone differences, I have to be awake at odd times of the night. At least the selling out of them seems to be slowing down a bit, so hopefully I can get one this time tomorrow.

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:39 pm

Hi Jookie,

Seems like there is no end to the Atari world with all the new hardware being developed by the "younger" generation :)

Call me old fashion, I really want to keep a floppy disk in the Falcon, as well as have multiple card readers.
Only issue I've found with the unit I'd like to install uses USB for the card reader side, with the floppy interface going to the Atari floppy connector (well, that's if the floppy can be jumped correctly to work).

As far as I can tell, the CosmosEx might be able to handle the job. There is room inside to mount the device.
If there were an IDE to USB, or even SATA to USB converter, this would be simpler.

The attached photo is kind of generic, you can find the same unit advertised under different names, but are all the same.
I'd really like the multiple card reader option, for not only storage, but photography and possibly Symbian cards too.

I'd seen where a CT user with the USB interface had a hard disk connected, but would also like a solution for a Falcon without the luxury of a CT installation.

Using HD Driver, would the multiple cards be recognized each as a different drive using the CosmosEx as a USB interface to the cards?

Just hit me in the head if this is too far fetched :)
flop 1.jpg

flop 2.jpg

3.5-inch 720KB/1.44MB Floppy Disk Drive
USB 2.0 Interface Connector
Floppy Interface Connector
4-pin Power Supply Connector
Supports All Popular Memory Cards: CF I, CF II, MD, SD, SDHC, Mini SD, MMC, RS-MMC, MS, MS Pro
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:01 am

Rustynutt wrote:Using HD Driver, would the multiple cards be recognized each as a different drive using the CosmosEx as a USB interface to the cards?

Theoretically - yes. Practically - I have no idea, it would have to be tried out and fixed if needed. The other thing is that I'm not sure whether the USB of Raspberry Pi would handle it - it does have some compatibility issues with some USB devices, so you never know until you try. And the last thing - it would be an overpriced overkill :) I think someone (MiKRO?) has something similar on IDE or SCSI directly, that would be simpler and cheaper.

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:03 am

Newbie question about CosmosEx.... as I am getting back into Atari and have a number of them I would like to use something like this one. I own 3 and hope to have a 4th soon. I have a 520ST, a Mega2 ST, a Falcon, and a TT one day soon. I would like to get the Falcon and TT030 on a network one day to share data. I would also like them to have access to SD Cards. Appears this device may offer that?

My worries are the cabling and the case. I have no plans to mount this inside an Atari but prefer it be an external device.

Is there a top to the CosmosEx? I see pictures of it exposed and see bottom of case but the top is missing as if internal device only. Is there a top too just not shown so I can use as an external box?

Also where can I get proper cable to connect it to the Falcon and TT, The Falcon has a SCSI 2 port. I forget but think the TT has both a ACSI and SCSI?

Anyway, can I buy the cable also from the maker?

Lastly, how much is the ACSI/SCSI version with proper cables shipped to USA?

Thanks!

Tom

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:30 am

AtariSociety wrote:Is there a top to the CosmosEx?

Yes, there is a top, but it's mostly not on the photos, because then you see just light gray box, and with the look inside it looks more telling than when it's closed.

AtariSociety wrote:Also where can I get proper cable to connect it to the Falcon and TT, The Falcon has a SCSI 2 port. I forget but think the TT has both a ACSI and SCSI?

The CosmosEx has 50 pin flat cable connector, the TT has the same one inside, so for mounting inside it would be no problem, just the flat (ribbon) cable between them. Or you can use the ACSI port on TT.

Falcon has a special HD 50 connector on the outside, and no internal SCSI-2 connector. For that external connection you need a external-to-internal cable, but I don't sell any, as I'm having enough of the things to do with devices only. You could probably get that cable from eBay.

If there would be enough interest, I could try to make some SCSI-2 Falcon cables, but they won't be cheap - only the HD 50 connector costs around 10 Euro each:
http://sk.farnell.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=15001&langId=421&urlRequestType=Base&partNumber=1098644&storeId=10174

AtariSociety wrote:Lastly, how much is the ACSI/SCSI version with proper cables shipped to USA?

It's around 7 to 14 Euro, depending on what you put in the package (more devices -> more weight -> higher price).
Jookie

AtariSociety
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AtariSociety » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:58 am

But what is the cost of the actual device? I would guess the 14 is shipping along. I could not find price of the device itself. Thanks, Tom

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:12 pm

AtariSociety wrote:But what is the cost of the actual device? I would guess the 14 is shipping along. I could not find price of the device itself.

Yes, you're right, the price is not directly on the project page, but in the buyer's section, to which you have to be registered.

So the price is 85 Euro (without P&P) for device without Raspberry Pi, or 115 Euro for device with Raspberry Pi (without P&P). Raspberry Pi is needed for most of the functionality. The last P&P price to USA for one device, including IKDB and ACSI cable was 7,3 Euro.

1st1
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

SLM emulation possible?

Postby 1st1 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:39 am

Hello Jookie, thanks for this phantastic device, it's really excellent, the swiss army knife for ST computer series!!!

But I have an idea which should be quite easy to implement, can you? The idea is the emulation of an ATARI SLM 804/605 laser printer. These printers are quite easy as rendering is done by ST/TT using ATARI's Diabolo 630 or DMC's Laserbrain EPSON FX emulator, GDOS driver or inside some applications (example: Calamus). So no need to deal with fonts or any printer language, just bitmap format conversion and output to CUPS and then print on any configured printer (locally on USB, shared by other computer with LPR or CIFS/Samba or direct network printer). The SLM is usually setup to ACSI ID #5. For experimental purpose you also can add support for SCSI communication, ATARI planned that for future models, so it would be possible to use the emuulation even on Falcon if someone modifies the drivers.
Power without the Price. It's not a bug. It's a feature. _/|\_ATARI

1040STFM in PC-Tower (PAK68/2, OvrScn, 4 MB, 1GB SCSI, CD-ROM...) * 2x Falcon 030 32GB/14MB+ScrnBlstrIII * 2x TT030 73GB/20MB+Nova * 520/1040STFM * 520/1040STE * 260/520ST/+ * some Mega ST * 2x Mega STE 500MB/4MB+M.CoCo * Stacy * STBook * SLM605 * SLM804 * SLM605 * SMM804 * SH 204/205 * Megafile 30/44/60 * SF314 * SF354 * 5x Pofo * PC3

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: SLM emulation possible?

Postby Jookie » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:07 pm

1st1 wrote:But I have an idea which should be quite easy to implement, can you? The idea is the emulation of an ATARI SLM 804/605 laser printer

Now for implementing that I would need a working SLM printer to see how it behaves on real Atari, and also some sources which handle printing on that printer from Atari. I guess that printer, even used and in weird state, would be expensive on eBay, right?

1st1 wrote:just bitmap format conversion and output to CUPS and then print on any configured printer (locally on USB, shared by other computer with LPR or CIFS/Samba or direct network printer).

Also doable, but for that we first need to move to Raspbian, because I guess the current linux used on CosmosEx doesn't have that included. Transition to Raspbian is planned in next weeks / months.

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”