CosmosEx - new device for your Atari ST

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

jamesarm97
Atarian
Atarian

Re: CosmosEx - new device for your Atari ST

Postby jamesarm97 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:48 pm

I tried to buy one recently and show it was out of stock and should be available in October? Any word when I can purchase one?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:43 pm

They are available right now, until the small batch is sold out... The next batch will be available at the end of February, 2016 (or start of March 2016?).

sunmachine
Atarian
Atarian

Postby sunmachine » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:09 pm

Yeah, ordered and payed via bank transfer earlier today. :)
Thanks and congrats to post #1000 by the way ;)

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:27 pm

sunmachine wrote:Yeah, ordered and payed via bank transfer earlier today. :)

Well, I hope this will not cause any issues - the PayPal payments are immediate, and the bank transfers take few days - I hope I won't run out of the devices until your payment arrives.

HuggyOne76
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby HuggyOne76 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:29 pm

Hi everybody,

I'd wish to buy the SCSI version for my Falcon (have one ACSI for my STE) but... where to find the SCSI cable ? If someone has a link...

Thank you everybody and BIG thank you to Jookie for this wonderful device !!!

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:35 pm

HuggyOne76 wrote:I'd wish to buy the SCSI version for my Falcon (have one ACSI for my STE) but... where to find the SCSI cable ? If someone has a link...

It's harder to get the SCSI cable / connector these days, but they do have some at some places. I wanted to try to make one my self, but I didn't had enough time yet for that one - I have only one cable, borrowed from -XI-.

HuggyOne76 wrote:Thank you everybody and BIG thank you to Jookie for this wonderful device !!!

You're welcome :)

sunmachine
Atarian
Atarian

Postby sunmachine » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Jookie wrote:Well, I hope this will not cause any issues - the PayPal payments are immediate, and the bank transfers take few days - I hope I won't run out of the devices until your payment arrives.

:( Sent you an email. Hope you got it.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:27 pm

sunmachine wrote: :( Sent you an email. Hope you got it.

Got it, the rest is in the e-mail :)

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:36 pm

I suppose the SCSI version is already sold out, right? :(
Trying to learn...

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:44 pm

qq1975b wrote:I suppose the SCSI version is already sold out, right? :(

Unfortunately, yes :( It was very quick, like an avalanche, and this will be my hell for the next week to roll out all the devices... As mentioned, this was a smaller batch (for at least 3 reasons I mentioned in the e-mail), plus it was divided to ACSI devices and SCSI devices - SCSI devices disappeared, ACSI devices are still available...

But don't worry, there will next batch at the end of february.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:52 pm

I know and understand that many people want(ed) the device and might be disappointed that they didn't get it, even they have been waiting for 3 months for it, and they might need to wait 3 months more, but each coin has two sides - with my wife pregnant, delivering in 1 month, I can't invest all the time that I need in manufacturing, I still have a regular job and a small child (3.5 years old), and by escaping a family celebration today to do this Atari device I'm pissing my wife even more and I'm asking for trouble. If things go bad, she might even force me to quit all these activities... And you bet that I don't want to piss my wife off that much :)

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:18 pm

Old saying, "happy wife - happy life".

Believe it. :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:10 pm

Jookie wrote:I know and understand that many people want(ed) the device and might be disappointed that they didn't get it, even they have been waiting for 3 months for it, and they might need to wait 3 months more, but each coin has two sides - with my wife pregnant, delivering in 1 month, I can't invest all the time that I need in manufacturing, I still have a regular job and a small child (3.5 years old), and by escaping a family celebration today to do this Atari device I'm pissing my wife even more and I'm asking for trouble. If things go bad, she might even force me to quit all these activities... And you bet that I don't want to piss my wife off that much :)

Of course! Time to enjoy family. :) I suppose you have prepared the little Atari t-shirt for the new family member ;).
We are lucky that you are designing these amazing peripherals, and building them. It would be very selfish if someone doesn't understand.

I will train a lot to be the faster cosmosex ordering "atarian" on february lol :cheers:
Trying to learn...

khooke
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby khooke » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:29 pm

Ordered, thanks Jookie! Can't wait to try it out! I've been watching this project for a while after putting off thinking of getting a SatanDisk - for the price the CosmosEx is a great deal. Finally decided to jump in and get one :D

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:40 am

All devices ordered before friday 13th, were sent yesterday. It was a busy week, due to completing the devices I had to take 4 days off my full time job :-/ But at least most of the devices are now sent.

khooke
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby khooke » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:57 am

Mine arrived today - plugged in and got it configured, working good so far! Thanks!

jamesarm97
Atarian
Atarian

Postby jamesarm97 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:14 am

Just received mine and have a couple of questions. How are most people powering these? I have the TT and trying to decide on Using the SCSI interface to the external interface. Is there a speed difference between the two? I assume you power on the Cosmosex first? Is there any advantage in connecting the floppy to the Cex over keeping the FD connected as is (TT)? I will probably install it I place of my SCSI drive anyways since the drive is old and loud. I just read that it only supports DD floppy images and not HD, why is that? Most of my floppies are HD on the TT.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:19 pm

jamesarm97 wrote:Is there a speed difference between the two?

There shouldn't be a difference. It still will be around 1.1MB/s for CosmosEx, due to some HW limitations.

jamesarm97 wrote:I assume you power on the Cosmosex first?

Yes, turn it on, wait 20 seconds, watch the LEDs, then turn on the computer.

jamesarm97 wrote:I just read that it only supports DD floppy images and not HD, why is that? Most of my floppies are HD on the TT.

Because there wasn't any time to add HD support? There are many open issues, there are many open (not finished) features and improvements, and as most of the floppy images on ST are DD, and since it was mostly an ST device until few months ago, there wasn't any need to add HD support.

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:26 pm

Who needs emulated HD disk images on USB when you've got an emulated hard drive on USB?

jcarvalho
Atari User
Atari User

Postby jcarvalho » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:48 am

Jookie wrote:Because there wasn't any time to add HD support? There are many open issues, there are many open (not finished) features and improvements, and as most of the floppy images on ST are DD, and since it was mostly an ST device until few months ago, there wasn't any need to add HD support.

If only the DD support worked fine... Why step up when the disk image emulation doesn't work? I can give a list of not working ST images... I fell robbed when I try to use this device... It was promised FDD emulation and I only was able to load ONE game... The swiv from the P.P web site, nothing more worked...

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:59 pm

jcarvalho wrote:
Jookie wrote:Because there wasn't any time to add HD support? There are many open issues, there are many open (not finished) features and improvements, and as most of the floppy images on ST are DD, and since it was mostly an ST device until few months ago, there wasn't any need to add HD support.

If only the DD support worked fine... Why step up when the disk image emulation doesn't work? I can give a list of not working ST images... I fell robbed when I try to use this device... It was promised FDD emulation and I only was able to load ONE game... The swiv from the P.P web site, nothing more worked...

Strange, on both the devices I got, Floppy Drive emulation works like a charm. What is the issue you're experiencing?

jcarvalho
Atari User
Atari User

Postby jcarvalho » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:18 pm

wietze wrote:
jcarvalho wrote:

Strange, on both the devices I got, Floppy Drive emulation works like a charm. What is the issue you're experiencing?

The problem is to load the images...
viewtopic.php?f=103&t=29011
They are inserted on slots, had some success pressing down ALT key on boot but I hink that the image file gets some corruption and mess up with USB stick... When inserting the USB stick on Windows it says to check the disk for errors

SerialSinger
Atariator
Atariator

Postby SerialSinger » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:50 am

If I remember well, sometimes the FAT32 formatting may use different settings when the drive is bigger than 2Gb; I use a 1 Gigabyte pen drive and I have no problems.

stevenclements
Atarian
Atarian

Postby stevenclements » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:39 pm

Has this batch sold out?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:46 am

jcarvalho wrote:If only the DD support worked fine... Why step up when the disk image emulation doesn't work? I can give a list of not working ST images... I fell robbed when I try to use this device... It was promised FDD emulation and I only was able to load ONE game... The swiv from the P.P web site, nothing more worked...

Erm, I'm very sorry for that :oops:

The floppy emulation work fine on some machines, and not very much working on some others, I still need to find out why.

Things much complicated with the new kid, because I'm at home trying to help my wife with the kid, so I don't get much to the computer these days. When I'm normally going to work, I can at least sit at the computer (at the office) and reply e-mails and forum posts, but now being home with wife and kids complicates things.

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”