WiFi setup

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: WiFi setup

Postby DrCoolZic » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:58 pm

Jookie wrote:
DrCoolZic wrote:I will try the procedure to update the Linux image described by Jookie. I was surprised by the fact that you have to install a new Linux image as I thought this could be done as part of the "normal" update.

The problem here is that the 'normal' update affects only /ce/app directory, while these wifi dongle drivers are in /lib/firmware (and also some wifi supervisor script installation), and thus a special check-and-possibly_install script would have to be created. I though it would be safer just to write the whole new image if someone needs wifi. I'm also not sure how many of you will really use it, and I'm not feeling well over wireless - I like cables more (for data safety, and so on).

I was also thinking of adding some other code / script to download and update the other scripts (/ce/ce_start.sh , /ce/ce_update.sh), but I guess most of the people don't use them, so again - it's some corner case functionality, which would drain my precious free time, which I can otherwise spend on real fixes :)

Sure no problem.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:07 pm

I have followed the procedure and updated to the new linux version...

unmounting / updating / mounting the SD card was no problem.

But I had to power off/on of the CE several time to get the led to blink and several power off/on of the Atari to boot from config drive?

I then connected with Ethernet for updating SW/FW and this was strange: the config program displayed : downloading SW and stay on this message for ever ...
after 2 or 3 mn I decided to use the F5 and was put back to main menu ... I then went to update page again and everything was updated ????

After re-configuring CE everything works fine :)
Did not try the Wi-Fi as I do not have a dongle yet.

updated my doc to add a linux installation section and upodated the WiFi part
http://info-coach.fr/atari/documents/_m ... _Guide.pdf

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:42 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:I then connected with Ethernet for updating SW/FW and this was strange: the config program displayed : downloading SW and stay on this message for ever ...
after 2 or 3 mn I decided to use the F5 and was put back to main menu ... I then went to update page again and everything was updated ????

same for me, I reported it there

DrCoolZic wrote:updated my doc to add a linux installation section and upodated the WiFi part
http://info-coach.fr/atari/documents/_m ... _Guide.pdf

thanks
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

zproc
Atariator
Atariator

Postby zproc » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:32 am

I tried the Wifi with two dongles that i use with Raspberry Pi's.

First one seem to do something strange, like blocking everything, i'm not sure, i'll try again and edit this post.

Second one, another TP-Link, the WIFI works, i can ping and ssh and reach the web page of the CosmosEx, but it seems that sometimes, or maybe just on some boots (not every time), the CosmosEx drive doesn't repond. I have it mapped on letter "O", and it is displayed on my desktop, but when i try to open it, i have an error telling me the drive doesn't exist. I think that if i reboot/& unplug the Wifi dongle, my CosmosEx drive will work again. I'll try to test it out more.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:43 am

zproc wrote:First one seem to do something strange, like blocking everything, i'm not sure, i'll try again and edit this post.

Second one, another TP-Link, the WIFI works, i can ping and ssh and reach the web page of the CosmosEx, but it seems that sometimes, or maybe just on some boots (not every time), the CosmosEx drive doesn't repond. I have it mapped on letter "O", and it is displayed on my desktop, but when i try to open it, i have an error telling me the drive doesn't exist. I think that if i reboot/& unplug the Wifi dongle, my CosmosEx drive will work again. I'll try to test it out more.

I had similar issues when running the wifi dongle couple of months ago, then some magic happened and it didn't do that again. Most of the time I'm running through the ethernet though (I feel that it might be safer). Also having the wifi dongle inserted before powering on the device might also affect some things (or the opposite - plugging in the wifi dongle in the running device might restart the OS because of voltage drop).

Sowden
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby Sowden » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:29 pm

I just wanted to add a comment to this subject. I have had trouble getting wifi to work since I've owned my CosmosEx. I have left my wifi open since I have installed my router, and a person on a board suggested that I implement a password. Sure enough, after I implemented it, put it into the Network settings on CE-CONFIG.TOS, it came right up. It seems that CosmosEx doesn't like routers with open access. Hope that helps people out like me.

edingacic
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby edingacic » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:41 pm

so what usb wifi device is supported now? what to buy?

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:47 pm

edingacic wrote:so what usb wifi device is supported now? what to buy?

Google for Wi-Fi dongles supported by Raspbian, or Raspberry Pi in general.

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”