WiFi setup

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

WiFi setup

Postby Cyprian » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:10 pm

Hi Jookie, should I do any special setup process for WiFi?
I entered my Wifi network SSID into WPA SSID field, and WiFi password into WPA PSK field on the screen below and nothing happen.

I have connected CosmosEx to TV via HDMI and after that RaspberyPi showed there following message:

ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Info - Loading firmware file 'rt2870.bin'
ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Error - Failed to request Firmware
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: WiFi setup

Postby Jookie » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:06 pm

Cyprian wrote:Hi Jookie, should I do any special setup process for WiFi?
ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Info - Loading firmware file 'rt2870.bin'
ieee80211 phy0: rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Error - Failed to request Firmware

Hello Cyprian,

I still didn't had time to play with wifi on Raspberry Pi as I'm focused on fixing bugs which prevent other people to use the device at all. I will get to this one, but not in the following days / weeks.

Btw., I think that this custom linux image that is used in CosmosEx doesn't contain all the various wifi adapter drivers, hopefully it contains at least some most common ones.

Jookie

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:45 am

ok,
I'm not sure but it seems that WiFi USB is recognized. What do you think about that?

----EDIT----
one more:
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:38 pm

Damn, I don't know... I will get a wifi dongle on tuesday, will try out and then I'll report, ok? (There's a bank holiday on monday in Slovakia)

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:21 pm

One week ago I bought the Wi Pi adapter (it has a Ra 5370 chipset, but the same Rt 2x00 driver gets loaded), I've played with it for 2 days and I couldn't get it running. Here's the things I've found out:

- the /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf was missing equal signs ('='), so config couldn't be loaded - this was fixed in some recent update

- the firmware file was missing - it should be in /lib/firmware dir, you also mentioned that - rt2870.bin -- these firmwares are small binary files, they can be downloaded from manufacturers and they are not linux distribution dependent - I'll get a couple of them and update the linux image with them (I'll put a link here so you could possibly download just firmwares without rewriting the whole image)

- even with those settings and the firmware I couldn't find my home network (by running: wpa_supplicant -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -d )

- with the same Wi Pi adapter my Windows PC could find and connect to my home network

- I was suspecting that the USB from Raspberry Pi couldn't give enough current to the Wi Pi adapter, which can cause issues like that (adapter working, but unable to communicate with with access point), so I bought a active (powered) USB hub, but this didn't make any change

So now I want to try the same setup, but using full Raspbian linux distribution - I want to see if the full linux image is able to connect to wifi, or even with that it won't be able to connect...

ely
Atariator
Atariator

Postby ely » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:06 pm

No idea if this helps but I bought a Wi Pi just to use with my CosmosEX, but due to other issues I've never tried it. I do know that it works fine with the latest build of OpenElec though;

This is the one I bought;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GRYQAXE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:51 pm

Hi Jookie,

any progress in this matter?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:56 pm

Cyprian wrote:Hi Jookie,

any progress in this matter?

Hello, yes and no... I got the wifi adapter running even with the current linux image, but when the wifi is started (wpa_supplicant -B ...), then the system hangs and I'm not sure how to avoid this or what am I doing wrong (but at least the LED on wifi adapter turns on). I was solving some bugs so I didn't had the time to finish this one, but hopefully I'll take a look at it soon...

AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AdamK » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:38 pm

Maybe there is a power issue?
Atari: FireBee, Falcon030 + CT60e + SuperVidel + SvEthlana, TT, 520ST + 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + SC1435, 1040STFM + UltraSatan + SM124, 1040STE 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + NetUSBee + SM144 + SC1224, 65XE + U1MB + VBXE + SIDE2, Jaguar, Lynx II, 2 x Portfolio (HPC-006)

Adam Klobukowski [adamklobukowski@gmail.com]

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:09 am

Jookie wrote:Hello, yes and no... I got the wifi adapter running even with the current linux image, but when the wifi is started (wpa_supplicant -B ...), then the system hangs and I'm not sure how to avoid this or what am I doing wrong (but at least the LED on wifi adapter turns on). I was solving some bugs so I didn't had the time to finish this one, but hopefully I'll take a look at it soon...

did you have some time to look at that issue?
sorry for being boring, I have no ethernet cables in my home and lack of wifi support reduces CosmosEx just to SatanDisk level :(

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:41 am

Cyprian wrote:did you have some time to look at that issue?
sorry for being boring, I have no ethernet cables in my home and lack of wifi support reduces CosmosEx just to SatanDisk level :(

I didn't look at it in the last time, but today I've created a new linux image, which should have all the things needed to get it working, and I've passed that image to tIn/absence, so he could take a look at it ;) After some final touches this might become available for trying in the next few days (I'm not sure if there isn't any mistake that would prevent wifi from working).

The other thing is - I'm not sure if I would do file transfer over wifi - I trust the cable more than wifi :)

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:21 am

The linux image which contains the stuff needed for using wifi dongles with CosmosEx is now available for download as 'Raspberry Pi SD card image for running the device' here:
http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=474

What you need to do:
- download the .zip file, unzip it
- remove the SD card from Raspberry Pi
- write the .img file to the SD card using some tool (e.g. like this: http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=332 , but using this .img instead of that one mentioned there)
- put the SD card back to Raspberry Pi
- update the firmware using the config tool, because the app contained in the linux image is outdated
- set the wifi configuration using the config tool (e.g. SSID, password)
- wait few seconds (~30 ?), turn off device, plug in the wifi dongle to USB, turn on the device
- if everything goes well, then after a while you should get connected to your wifi access point... If not, then report what you can...

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:11 am

good news, I'll try it tonight

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:21 pm

thanks, it seems that wifi works fine. In update software section it shows me that my firmware is the same as on the web.
Now I have to manage shared drive between win7 or ubuntu.

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:39 pm

During booting ST shows message "No working network interface." but WiFi works ok. Shared drive is visible as disk C.
I configured it based on DrCoolZic manual. It was really useful, thanks.
Unfortunately there is some additional issues. I'll report them in "Bug reports" topic.

tin
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tin » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:58 pm

Cyprian wrote:During booting ST shows message "No working network interface." but WiFi works ok.

That's somewhat confusing, you're right.

This happens because Wifi with DHCP does take a bit longer to initialize than e.g. initializing eth0. Unless a cable is connected, there is in fact no initialized interface at that point.
But the next reset should show the IP address - does it?

Would it help to show sth like "initializing wifi" at that first boot?

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:57 pm

tin wrote:But the next reset should show the IP address - does it?

without changes - "No working network interface."
tin wrote:Would it help to show sth like "initializing wifi" at that first boot?

would be cool

tin
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tin » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:02 am

Cyprian wrote:
tin wrote:But the next reset should show the IP address - does it?

without changes - "No working network interface."

Well, thats definitely a bug then. Is your ce_dd booted from SD card and is it the latest? There was a bug like this in ce_dd in older releases, but I fixed that in the Wifi release.

Thanks alot for your input, Cyprian!

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:38 am

I have been asked to document the procedure in my guide ...

I will try the procedure to update the Linux image described by Jookie. I was surprised by the fact that you have to install a new Linux image as I thought this could be done as part of the "normal" update.

I also need to buy an WiFi plug to fully test the WiFi setup procedure

EDIT:
Is there a recommended WiFi adapter?
What about:
http://www.amazon.fr/TP-Link-TL-WN725N- ... r+usb+wifi
http://www.amazon.fr/Netgear-WNA1000M-o ... r+usb+wifi
http://www.amazon.fr/D-Link-DWA-121-Pic ... r+usb+wifi
http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B003MTTJOY/ref= ... MARFF0RV8Z
http://www.amazon.fr/Raspberry-Pi-Adapt ... words=wipi

Which one where used for tests?
Last edited by DrCoolZic on Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:18 am

DrCoolZic wrote:Is there a recommended WiFi adapter?

Mine is RhoTech RH-WL01B

tin wrote:Well, thats definitely a bug then. Is your ce_dd booted from SD card and is it the latest? There was a bug like this in ce_dd in older releases, but I fixed that in the Wifi release.

hmm, actually I don't use SD card yet. Should I put it on an external SD card?

tin
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tin » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:29 pm

Cyprian wrote:hmm, actually I don't use SD card yet. Should I put it on an external SD card?

Not necessarily, only if you want to boot from/use the SD card - otherwise booting ce_dd from Cosmosex itself should be fine.

It's just a common thing to incidentially boot an old ce_dd driver from the SD cards auto folder. Happens to me all the time.

Which version has ce_dd on your setup?

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:19 pm

tin wrote:It's just a common thing to incidentially boot an old ce_dd driver from the SD cards auto folder. Happens to me all the time.

Yes I have often the same problem.
This also apply to other "utilities" when you copy them on an SD for easier access ...

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:31 pm

About the WiFi plugs
Are they standard so any plug can be used with provided Linux or do they need different drivers that need to be "installed" on Linux (sorry I am somewhat ignorant with Linux)

tin
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tin » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:03 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:About the WiFi plugs
Are they standard so any plug can be used with provided Linux or do they need different drivers that need to be "installed" on Linux (sorry I am somewhat ignorant with Linux)

Jookies image contains several common drivers, no installation necessary.
I only tested with a realtek-based chipset, so you should be fairly safe with one of those that work on a regular Pi (thats also important regarding usb power etc.).
"Installing" other drivers isn't that easy, because the linux used on the image is a custom build - that's how Jookie got the CE to boot so fast.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:43 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:I will try the procedure to update the Linux image described by Jookie. I was surprised by the fact that you have to install a new Linux image as I thought this could be done as part of the "normal" update.

The problem here is that the 'normal' update affects only /ce/app directory, while these wifi dongle drivers are in /lib/firmware (and also some wifi supervisor script installation), and thus a special check-and-possibly_install script would have to be created. I though it would be safer just to write the whole new image if someone needs wifi. I'm also not sure how many of you will really use it, and I'm not feeling well over wireless - I like cables more (for data safety, and so on).

I was also thinking of adding some other code / script to download and update the other scripts (/ce/ce_start.sh , /ce/ce_update.sh), but I guess most of the people don't use them, so again - it's some corner case functionality, which would drain my precious free time, which I can otherwise spend on real fixes :)

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”