Bug reports

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Bug reports

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:14 am

I have read about TOS 2.06 and found that you can do cold boot from keyboard

So I did the following tests

start Atari without SD card -> CE_DD loads, have to wait long time but desktop displays
put sd card reset button -> HDD loads, CE_DD loads (from Auto) desktop appears quickly
remove sd card, reset button -> CE_DD loads and Atari crashes 4 bombs
reset button (warm boot) -> CE_DD loads and Atari crashes 4 bombs
reset button wait for logo hit [ctrl+alt+rshit+del] (cold boot) -> CE_DD loads, have to wait long time but desktop displays

FYI: when cold boot Atari performs memory check, when warm boot skip mem check
on last test I did get back the mem test as cold boot

hope this help?

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:58 pm

I did a test to copy of a directory tree from network drive to local SD card

During the copy operation I get error messages to indicate that copying of certain files fails
message is in french and says something like "one error happen during reading of the file" continue / abort

in the message box that display the remaining number of dir/files at the end the number of files was containing non numerical characters???
I did an "information" on original and copied directory: original 230 dir / 1013 files ===> copy 230 dir / 1034 files
so even though some files could not be copied we end up with more files than in the original tree !!!

To me this looks exactly as a problem of LFN ???

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:15 pm

The copy is done by dragging a dir from the network drive N to partition C on SD card

I have compared the 2 trees and seems like problem arise when source contains LFN either long name or lower case name (also use LFN mechanism)

I have also noted something strange: All the copied files have exactly 2H difference. Obviously this correspond to the value I have entered in the UTC offset ?
This should not happen the two dates should be the same. Right?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:40 am

DrCoolZic wrote:I did an "information" on original and copied directory: original 230 dir / 1013 files ===> copy 230 dir / 1034 files
so even though some files could not be copied we end up with more files than in the original tree !!!

Could you ZIP the original folder and send me a link to that ZIP as a PM, so I can try it and possibly fix it? The machine was that MegaSTE with TOS 2.0x?

DrCoolZic wrote:I have also noted something strange: All the copied files have exactly 2H difference. Obviously this correspond to the value I have entered in the UTC offset ?
This should not happen the two dates should be the same. Right?

Yes, there's probably missing the UTC offset applying somewhere, this can be easily fixed.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:13 am

The directory is big but I have identified the "sub-directories" that cause problem.
I will make tests and let you know

EDIT:
The tree normally should not contain any LFN. It has been done to be easy transferred on an SD card mounted on windows.
However there are few places where this is not respected (either more than 8 chars or lowercase letters) and this is where the problem seems to arise.
I also did a binary compare of all the files copied and seems like one was not transfered correctly. I need to investigate.
Also probably not your problem but when the tree is copied on an empty partition it goes relatively fast but on a half-full partition it seems to slow down quite a bit (for information only).

EDIT:
Machine is Atari STe (not Mega STe) with 4 MB of RAM where the TOS 1.62 ROMs have been changed to 2.06 ROMs (French TOS)

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:00 am

OK I have created a small tree about 5MB that can reproduce the problem

original 27 dir 133 files
copy 27 dir 128 files

I will PM you in few seconds with the tree causing problem.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:14 pm

any news about LFN?

Have you been able to reproduce the problem?

any news about bombs when loading CE_DD?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:16 am

DrCoolZic wrote:any news about LFN?
Have you been able to reproduce the problem?
any news about bombs when loading CE_DD?

I'm able to reproduce the problem, there are actually two issues, I have a fix for one, and I'm working on the 2nd one. I didn't had the time to look at those bombs...

Strider
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Strider » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:55 pm

Since I updated my CosmosEx with the 2014-10-07 update, I can barely use it.
Most of the problems come from the SD card.

Here are the erros I randomly get:
- Read errors on the device.
- Bombs when running apps (e.g. HDDRUTIL).
- Copy errors: files have 0 byte.
- When booting, sometimes HDDriver doesn't load and I boot to the GEM desktop. Other times, HDDriver loads but not CE_DD.

I am the only one to have problems with the SD device and the last update?

Those bugs do not come from the SD card itself because it works very well with UltraSatan.

Tests made on a STE 4 MB with TOS 1.62 FR and HDDriver 9.3.
Thanks for your advice.
Strider from MJJ Prod
May the TOS be with you!

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:13 pm

Strider wrote:Since I updated my CosmosEx with the 2014-10-07 update, I can barely use it.

Here are the erros I randomly get:
- Read errors on the device.
- Bombs when running apps (e.g. HDDRUTIL).
- Copy errors: files have 0 byte.
- When booting, sometimes HDDriver doesn't load and I boot to the GEM desktop. Other times, HDDriver loads but not CE_DD.

I am the only one to have problems with the SD device and the last update?

Those bugs do not come from the SD card itself because it works very well with UltraSatan.

Thanks for your advice.

Mine seems to be working fine... maybe do the update through SSH again? Reset settings?
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

.:.
http://gryzor.info

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:21 am

Strider wrote:Since I updated my CosmosEx with the 2014-10-07 update, I can barely use it.
Thanks for your advice.

Damn, I didn't see that happen at my place, but I'll better test this on the STE some more.

Edit:
Damn it, something is wrong with my SD card, too... There will be a fix for this, I wonder if just the different compiler optimization level (-o2 vs. -o3) has something to do with it :(

AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AdamK » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:24 pm

This is what I get when I try to boot Magic (4.0 IIRC):

It works ok in RAW mode, so most likely, it is not MagiC problem
Atari: FireBee, Falcon030 + CT60e + SuperVidel + SvEthlana, TT, 520ST + 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + SC1435, 1040STFM + UltraSatan + SM124, 1040STE 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + NetUSBee + SM144 + SC1224, 65XE + U1MB + VBXE + SIDE2, Jaguar, Lynx II, 2 x Portfolio (HPC-006)

Adam Klobukowski [adamklobukowski@gmail.com]

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:55 am

AdamK wrote:This is what I get when I try to boot Magic (4.0 IIRC):
It works ok in RAW mode, so most likely, it is not MagiC problem

CE_DD is (at this moment) not compatible with MagiC or MiNT - they might become some day, but now it's not worth trying to run that with it. Using USB media in RAW mode or SD card is better with those now.

AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AdamK » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:59 pm

Bug:

Web interface mouse grab does not work correctly with Froggies over the fence megademo.
Atari: FireBee, Falcon030 + CT60e + SuperVidel + SvEthlana, TT, 520ST + 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + SC1435, 1040STFM + UltraSatan + SM124, 1040STE 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + NetUSBee + SM144 + SC1224, 65XE + U1MB + VBXE + SIDE2, Jaguar, Lynx II, 2 x Portfolio (HPC-006)

AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AdamK » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:45 pm

Bug:

1. Cosmosex does not boot from floppie mounted by web interface (ie. does not recognize bootsector). It works well when mouting on ST using TTP/

2. NFS mapped as drive has huge problems with long file names or when something changes on server side (filename, etc.)

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:50 pm

AdamK wrote:2. NFS mapped as drive has huge problems with long file names or when something changes on server side (filename, etc.)

Damn... A log file from 'debug' log level would be interesting thing to see. The changes on server could be also an interesting thing, I wonder where the caching is causing problems (linux caching, linux app caching, CE_DD driver caching, TOS caching...).

tin
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tin » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:42 pm

AdamK wrote:Bug:

Web interface mouse grab does not work correctly with Froggies over the fence megademo.

This demo uses own IKBD routines. Mouse injection (web and AFAIK in general) only works with standard mouse packets for now.
I'll put this on the list.

tin
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tin » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:49 pm

AdamK wrote:Bug:

1. Cosmosex does not boot from floppie mounted by web interface (ie. does not recognize bootsector). It works well when mouting on ST using TTP/

That's definitely not good. It's tested with several demos. Are these TOS formatted disks, e.g. do they show contents in GEM, even when the bootsector isn't executed?

Can you do me two favours:
-can you specify an example disk?
-the CEs MFM encoding of the disk takes up to five seconds. Please deactivate the slot, upload a disk, wait five seconds and only then activate the slot. Does that make a difference?

ryan
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby ryan » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:03 pm

Odd situation I'm in. I installed CosmosEx in my new Mega STe. German TOS 2.05 ROMS, 4MB RAM. Everything was working great. Internal install with Lotharek's internal ACSI adapter cable, CE in place of Floppy, a nice setup. But I ran the conf program and set "SD" card to ACSI 0, and now when I reboot the computer goes into either a constant reboot cycle or boots to just show two floppy drives, as if the CE didn't install itself.

I'm going to take the CE out and upgrade its firmware, check connections, delete its configuration file etc. and then reinstall and see if it helps. But kinda odd.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:14 pm

If I am not wrong the Mega STe has an internal drive?
And as far as I know the internal drive is assign ID 0 so you have conflict on ID number
http://info-coach.fr/atari/documents/_m ... _Guide.pdf page 11

If this is your problem you need to place the CE into another system and set SD card to ACSI ID 1 and it should work

AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AdamK » Sun Dec 07, 2014 5:32 pm

Another bug: when I turn off ST, I need to wait at least 10 seconds (or so, I did not take any real measurement) before I turn it on back, or I'll have 4 bombs on bootup (probably from CE_BS).

As for other bugs, I'll try to post more info tomorrow. I've just came back from SillyVenture 2K14, where I strongly advertised CosmosEx to anybody that asked (and even to those who didn't ;)). CosmosEx also greatly helped me in organizing and running ST competitions. I'm currently uploading uncut competition video record (over 8 hours long), where you can see CosmosEx in action :) I'll post a link to it when it will be uploaded. Sorry for the offtopic :)

ryan

Postby ryan » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:58 pm

DrCoolZic wrote:If I am not wrong the Mega STe has an internal drive?
And as far as I know the internal drive is assign ID 0 so you have conflict on ID number
http://info-coach.fr/atari/documents/_m ... _Guide.pdf page 11

If this is your problem you need to place the CE into another system and set SD card to ACSI ID 1 and it should work

I had removed internal floppy and internal HD.

ryan

Postby ryan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:31 am

Took the CE out, wiped settings/*, updated the firmware to latest revision. Installed back in Mega STe. Booted, looked ok. Assigned SD card to ACSI 1, did save, then got message about error communicating with the CE, and now CE doesn't work anymore.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:14 am

ryan wrote:...and now CE doesn't work anymore.

What does it look like? See this:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=QalF64VP2WE
Do you see the blue activity LEDs blink ~15 seconds after power on?

You should try to run /ce/ce_update.sh script from shell (through ssh), this should get firmware and software to normal state (if something went wrong).

ryan

Postby ryan » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:57 pm

I'll check the LED situation out tonight. Pretty sure there's I still get the blinky action a dozen or so second after boot but then not really any activity. I don't have wired network downstairs so every time I want to do anything with it I have to take it out of the case bring it upstairs and hook it up to my wireless hub w/ keyboard & monitor. I need to get a bridge set up to get network down there.

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”