Bug reports

News, questions and bugs reports about CosmosEx by Jookie. Now we have a Raspberry Pi in our machines!

Moderators: Jookie, Moderator Team

attle
Atari User
Atari User

Re: Bug reports

Postby attle » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:33 pm

Jookie wrote:Do you have to run the ICDFMT.PRG to get it working again, or just a reset or two of your ST would be enough? (try that if you didn't do it yet) There is a known issue that it needs a ST restart or two to get something initialized properly to boot the SD card... I know this one is annoying, it will be fixed, but it's nothing that catastrophic (but I agree that this will have to be fixed).

Ah, now that seems to work. After cold boot, it worked after two resets for me. Is it related to the ICD driver?

corpsicle
Atariator
Atariator

Postby corpsicle » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:54 pm

Ok.
Now USB works and everything that i run from SD card works.
The only thing that doesnt work for me now is floppy emulation.
I download files from the ftp using the fdd program and mount them
I can boot them but i have not been able to actually get into any of the games.
They always crash (bomb) somewhere while booting or just hang.
Ive tried 10+ images off the ftp.
Ive tested my ram so it shouldnt be that ( also as i said everything i run from SD works ).
Im starting to think this might not have anything to do with cosmosex at all.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:25 pm

attle wrote:Ah, now that seems to work. After cold boot, it worked after two resets for me. Is it related to the ICD driver?

No, it's not related to ICD driver, it's some CosmosEx starting issue, which I will fix - hopefully soon.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:49 pm

OK people, I've got another update, this time it's Hans (2014-08-12) and Main App (2014-08-12):

- the update of Hans should solve the cold boot issue of SD card (that you had to do a couple of ST resets to boot from the SD card). The whole issue is related to hot swap feature - the device was reporting to the driver that the media (SD card) was changed on the start up, and that prevented the ST to boot from SD cart until this unit attention state was cleared. The problem is that this reporting of media change is done in a way that the new drivers know (HDDRIVER and ICD Pro) so they handle the situation (so running HDDRIVER / HDDRUTIL / ICD Pro would get the device from 'media changed' state to the normal usable state), but the TOS booting process doesn't know anything about that, it just tries to read the sectors from the SD card and fails (and the 'error' is: dude, the media has changed, ok?). So now when the SD card is inserted when the device is turned on, it won't report the first (initial) media change. Please test this and report if the behavior of SD card got better.

- the update of Main App is just some feature added which will be used later.

Jungsi
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Jungsi » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:15 pm

Sorry to say that's for me not much better ;-)
1040STF + ICD Pro - when CosmosEX ist connected to the internal floppy (and power of the floppy) it's now booting by the second reset.
When the ST isn't connected to the internal floppy it's not booting from SD-Card - I can do as much resets as i like
Atari: 1040 ST/STFM/STE, Mega STE, Falcon, TT - GigaFile, SuperSatan, Ultrasatan, EtherNEC, NetUSBee, Unicorn, CosmosEx
Sinclair: ZX81, 48k, +48k, 128k,+2, +3, QL - DivIDE+, DivIde 2k11, Interface 1, Microdrive, Interface 2, Spectranet, Datel+D, Interface 1bis, ZXpand
http://www.jungsi.de

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:34 pm

Jungsi wrote:Sorry to say that's for me not much better ;-)
1040STF + ICD Pro - when CosmosEX ist connected to the internal floppy (and power of the floppy) it's now booting by the second reset.

I will take a look at that ICD Pro, too - I've tested it only with HDDRIVER (on 1040 STFM) and it's better, but there might be another catch with ICD Pro... But anyway, 2nd reset is still better than 4 resets, right? :)

Could you, please, write here the exact steps you take when you turn it on, so I could reproduce it? (e.g. what you turn on, how long you wait (and possibly for what), what you turn on next, what you see, etc.) This could help me to track this issue down...

Jungsi wrote:When the ST isn't connected to the internal floppy it's not booting from SD-Card - I can do as much resets as i like

Wait, you meant when CosmosEx isn't connected to the internal floppy slot, or normal floppy isn't connected to the internal floppy slot? Did you have any floppy (real or emulator) connected to the internal floppy slot? ST doesn't like very much when nothing is connected to the floppy slot, it breaks down the boot process (at least for me... if I don't want to use CosmosEx for the floppy, I connect the real floppy instead).

Jungsi
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Jungsi » Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:53 pm

Jookie wrote:Wait, you meant when CosmosEx isn't connected to the internal floppy slot, or normal floppy isn't connected to the internal floppy slot? Did you have any floppy (real or emulator) connected to the internal floppy slot? ST doesn't like very much when nothing is connected to the floppy slot, it breaks down the boot process (at least for me... if I don't want to use CosmosEx for the floppy, I connect the real floppy instead).

More detailed: :-)
The good result (only two resets) is when the Cosmos is connected to internal floppy slot and power.
The bad result is when the "normal" internal floppy is connected and the Cosmos is only connected to ACSI and powered by external power supply. After the second reset is Cosmos recognized. But it don't boot from SD Card (not after 10 resets)
Atari: 1040 ST/STFM/STE, Mega STE, Falcon, TT - GigaFile, SuperSatan, Ultrasatan, EtherNEC, NetUSBee, Unicorn, CosmosEx
Sinclair: ZX81, 48k, +48k, 128k,+2, +3, QL - DivIDE+, DivIde 2k11, Interface 1, Microdrive, Interface 2, Spectranet, Datel+D, Interface 1bis, ZXpand

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:13 pm

Could you, please, write here the exact steps you take when you turn it on, so I could reproduce it? (e.g. what you turn on, how long you wait (and possibly for what), what you turn on next, what you see, etc.) This could help me to track this issue down...

Jungsi
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Jungsi » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:02 pm

1. Step: Turn on CosmosEx - waiting until the ACSI ID is flashing shortly
2. Turning on ST wating until the desktop is showing up (no Cosmos recognized)
3. desktop is there
4. 1 Reset - after three seconds Cosmos is recognized (ID 0) - ACSI LED is shortly flashing
5. waiting for desktop
6. desktop is there - you can use O (config drive), P (network) and M (USB stick) - manually added drives
7. 2 reset - after three seconds Cosmos is recognized (ID 0) - ACSI LED is shortly flashing
8. waiting for desktop
9. desktop is there - you can use O (config drive), P (network) and M (USB stick) - manually added drives
and so on - maybe the TOS 1.02 of the 1040 STF is the problem?

When the Cosmos is connected to ACSI ID and to internal floppy the Cosmos Ex is always recognized. It's booting then after the second reset.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:40 pm

Great, thanks, I will take another look at that. It shouldn't be caused by the TOS 1.02 as my STFM has the same...

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:44 pm

One more thing - what is your acsi id configuration? Acsi id 0 is translated, acsi id 1 is SD? I would like to test it with the same setup as you.

Jungsi
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Jungsi » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:44 pm

Jookie wrote:One more thing - what is your acsi id configuration? Acsi id 0 is translated, acsi id 1 is SD? I would like to test it with the same setup as you.

ACSI 0 = translated
ACSI 1 = SD

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:22 am

Jungsi,

I can't reproduce the exact behavior you described when following the steps you wrote, but 1 in 3 cold boots my device doesn't load the driver from ACSI ID 0 (translated drive) but does load a driver from ACSI ID 1 (SD card); the other 2 cold boots are booting fine from ID 0 and ID 1, so at least I can get some problematic behavior which I will fix, and that one might improve also your issues... And in the mean time I can try to figure out what is the difference between our setups that's causing the issues - I made the tests mentioned above with following setup:
- CosmosEx connected through ACSI to ST
- CosmosEx not connected through floppy cable to ST, internal (real) drive connected instead (you had more issues with this scenario, right?)
- IKBD injector not connected
- SD card inserted before the CosmosEx device was turned on
- ACSI ID 0 is translated, ACSI ID 1 is SD card
- CosmosEx is powered by external power supply, not from ST

You wrote your ACSI ID configuration before, can you describe the remaining things as I did, so I can make sure that I'm testing it in the same setup?

Jungsi
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Jungsi » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:39 am

Here re my comments:

Jookie wrote:Jungsi,

- CosmosEx connected through ACSI to ST - OK
- CosmosEx not connected through floppy cable to ST, internal (real) drive connected instead (you had more issues with this scenario, right?) - OK
- IKBD injector not connected - OK
- SD card inserted before the CosmosEx device was turned on - OK
- ACSI ID 0 is translated, ACSI ID 1 is SD card - OK
- CosmosEx is powered by external power supply, not from ST - OK

You wrote your ACSI ID configuration before, can you describe the remaining things as I did, so I can make sure that I'm testing it in the same setup?

AS you can see, this is the same config like mine

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:47 am

Jungsi wrote:AS you can see, this is the same config like mine

OK... I will take a look on the 1 out of 3 cold boot issues, and then we'll see if it will help you with this, or not...

HuggyOne76
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby HuggyOne76 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:18 pm

My turn ! :) I received this beautiful CosmosEx and now I can write about my experience :
* Update by network is very nice ! :cheers:
* Shared folders with my Windows 8.1 computer : OK. OK, BUT I have to shared without password and "anonymous" user, that doesn't work with user/password setup. 8O
* SD Card seems OK (that was my first try) with HDDriver but doesn't work since I share folders... ! I will see later... :coffe:
* USB key tried but have to test again, one key is recognized, not the other.
* IKBD injector... Hummm... What's up Doc ?! Keyboard seems ok. That's a good point. BUT if I work with the original mouse "too fast" (that is to say : normal speed !), I have the "beeeeeep" of the keyboard, the mouse runs mad... And if I try an USB mouse, that works... one second and nothing more ! :evil:
I've got an STE with 4Mb and TOS 1.62.
I know that will be better and better (and that's still good !), so thank you Jookie for your work ! Just can't wait to use the all of this when all those "little" bugs will be erased ! :megaphone:

wietze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wietze » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:37 pm

Regarding the most recent version (2014-08-17), one change is:

- fix for Franz for disabling drive, fix for Main App to apply the floppy drive settings - almost all code was present to apply the floppy settings (enabled, ID) but a small part was missing and made it all non-working :( (sorry, I've missed that). These changes also make the DSKCHG pin on floppy to toggle on floppy image change, this should help the floppy change detection (but not tested, might need something more)

Under GEM, while switching the image by pressing the Cosmosex button to change floppy image, and then opening A:\ on the desktop, it still does not change contents of the A:\-drive, so this is not yet resolved :)

HuggyOne76
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby HuggyOne76 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:59 pm

Not resolved (but there's a message from Jeff in another topic for that), moreover "autorun" doesn't seem to work... But, I'll be patient, Jookie will fix that ! :)

widower2008
Atarian
Atarian

Postby widower2008 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:12 am

Jungsi wrote:1. Step: Turn on CosmosEx - waiting until the ACSI ID is flashing shortly
2. Turning on ST wating until the desktop is showing up (no Cosmos recognized)
3. desktop is there
4. 1 Reset - after three seconds Cosmos is recognized (ID 0) - ACSI LED is shortly flashing
5. waiting for desktop
6. desktop is there - you can use O (config drive), P (network) and M (USB stick) - manually added drives
7. 2 reset - after three seconds Cosmos is recognized (ID 0) - ACSI LED is shortly flashing
8. waiting for desktop
9. desktop is there - you can use O (config drive), P (network) and M (USB stick) - manually added drives
and so on - maybe the TOS 1.02 of the 1040 STF is the problem?

When the Cosmos is connected to ACSI ID and to internal floppy the Cosmos Ex is always recognized. It's booting then after the second reset.

My Mega ST TOS 1.02 no longer recognises the CosmosEx device at all - I can get to it via ssh from a windows box. - is there a way to reset the CosmosEx to default and start again? I must have changed something somewhere that has stopped it working or I have a failure on the Atari... :(

My issue with network share connectivity
About that shared drive... When you log in your Raspberry Pi as root (password is 'ce'), does this work?
mount -v -t cifs -o gid=1000,uid=1000,username=YOUR_USERNAME,password=YOUR_PASSWORD //server_ip/Atarishared /mnt/shared

Gives me an error Operation not supported - but I get the same from an ordinary raspberry Pi too even though I cann connect using the same credentials from a windows box, so maybe I have an issue with the NAS drive config....

widower2008
Atarian
Atarian

Postby widower2008 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:35 pm

widower2008 wrote:
DarkLord wrote:
Jungsi wrote:The USB mini port is the "only" way to give power to the ComosEX - the 4 pin connector gives the power to a connected floppy drive.
The other connector is only for connecting a modern USB-Keyboard or a mouse to the Mega ST without using a driver on the ST.
In the video section on Jookies homepage are some good videos about this. http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=415

Hmm, okay bit of confusion here. I don't have mine installed yet, but I thought the 4 pin power connector was for internal
use, and the mini-usb port was for an external power connection. Thought I read that somewhere else or am I wrong?

Thanks.

Ok now have my CosmosEx powered and connected using the external power. To be able to see the device I have to connect it to the hard drive ASCI port on the back of my Mega ST 2, Ethernet and not using the IKDB injector as with this connected the original keyboard seems to work but the mouse gets stuck in the top left corner of the screen!

I have tried to set up the shared drive and an SD card but so far I am not having much luck. I have used the CE_CONF.PRG to setup as follows
ACSI config tool
id 0 = trans
id 1 = sd
id 3 to 7 = raw - not sure why but doesn't seem to matter for what I am doing so far!

Translated disk
First translated as G
Shared drive as P
Config Drive as O

Shared drive is enabled using cifs
server IP is valid
share is entered as Atarishared
Valid username and password defined

(The share is on a Netgear NAS drive and has been tested with the user id and password from a windows box)
Floppy config is enabled as drive 1 (Note my old diamond button drive doesn't rotate but the stepper motor is fine!)
I can open the Drive O no problem, when I add drive P it shows as an empty drive which I then copied a file to and that appears to be on the Raspberry Pi SD card not the SD in the external SD slot......
Not sure where I am going wrong but hoping for more help if possible as you guys seem to know stack loads!
Hope to add a PC floppy with the cable fix mentioned elsewhere on here if I can find a 34 pin male and female idc plus a spare bit of 34 way cable - might cut it off a spare PC cable but then need the male end so I don't need to damage the Atari original!

Update - OK cann now connect via Raspberry Pi and via CosmosEx Raspberry device to Netgear share but via nfs using the following (ip addresses permitted for read write access)

pi@raspberrypi ~ $ sudo mount -v -t nfs -o nolock 192.168.1.84:/Atarishared /mnt/shared
mount.nfs: timeout set for Tue Aug 19 16:34:57 2014
mount.nfs: trying text-based options 'nolock,vers=4,addr=192.168.1.84,clientaddr=192.168.1.107'
mount.nfs: mount(2): No such file or directory
mount.nfs: trying text-based options 'nolock,addr=192.168.1.84'
mount.nfs: prog 100003, trying vers=3, prot=6
mount.nfs: trying 192.168.1.84 prog 100003 vers 3 prot TCP port 2049
mount.nfs: prog 100005, trying vers=3, prot=17
mount.nfs: trying 192.168.1.84 prog 100005 vers 3 prot UDP port 48770
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ ls /mnt/shared
ALL_SWR COPYACC CREDISK.zip drimg-0.86.tar.gz EMPTYFLO.zip FLOFOR.zip FO98.zip hddriver90_demo.zip icdp655a.zip SupHD.rar tos104uk.zip tos162uk.zip
ALL_SWR.zip COPYACC.zip DISKIMAG.zip drimg13.zip FdInstall.zip FloImg1.zip hddriver90_demo icdp655a SELTOS.zip tos102uk.zip tos106uk.zip TRACCPR.zip
pi@raspberrypi ~ $

Note - this also works from CosmosEx - just need to get the CosmosEx and Atari Mega ST2 talking again now!! :roll:

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:55 am

widower2008 wrote:Note - this also works from CosmosEx - just need to get the CosmosEx and Atari Mega ST2 talking again now!! :roll:

Hello widower2008,

try the recovery procedure described here (I've just created that thread):
http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=26848

Jookie

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:47 am

HuggyOne76 wrote:* IKBD injector... Hummm... What's up Doc ?! Keyboard seems ok. That's a good point. BUT if I work with the original mouse "too fast" (that is to say : normal speed !), I have the "beeeeeep" of the keyboard, the mouse runs mad... And if I try an USB mouse, that works... one second and nothing more ! :evil:
I've got an STE with 4Mb and TOS 1.62.

I've spent few hours with this today (since 02:30 AM to 06:00AM - before leaving to work), I couldn't reproduce it on my STFM, Mega ST, one STE and... then I got the same on the 2nd STE (which has with 'bad' DMA - I didn't had the time to try the patch from exxos for that)... I've found the problem with the IKDB injection, but this time it's a hardware bug :( It's easy to fix if you can solder a little, or know someone who does... See the bottom of this page:
http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=529

If you can't solder and don't have anyone around who can, then I can fix this for you if you send the device to me...

(background info: the voltage divider (R1, R30) from 5V to 3.3V pulls the IKDB line down too hard and thus some garbage data is received even though there's no real data on the bus)

HuggyOne76
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby HuggyOne76 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:40 am

Hardware bug... oh oh... The problem is the price to send you back the CosmosEx... ! My STE is unhappy... :?

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:52 am

HuggyOne76 wrote:Hardware bug... oh oh... The problem is the price to send you back the CosmosEx... ! My STE is unhappy... :?

Yeah :( I wished for software only bugs so they could be fixed remotely, but I guess nothing goes perfectly... So you don't have anyone around with a soldering iron? It's a quick fix - just one extra resistor needs to be added.

Or you could use a electrically conductive glue to glue the additional resistor there, using some tweezer to place the resistor there - maybe you could get that glue from some local store, or I see some available on eBay for ~2 Euro (from China, including postage costs). This way you would avoid the soldering, you just need a good grip with the tweezer.

atariancom
Atariator
Atariator

Postby atariancom » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:43 pm

My turn.

I've had some fun, have been having problems partitioning sd card with latest hd drive version 9, I get can't write to boot and can't write to root. It gives me 3 partitions! That's a 4 meg, also tried with 8 meg and 2 meg.

It does a 128meg sd in compatible windows mod fine.

So is it hd driver or CE? So I tried hd driver on ultrasatan and that partitioned fine. So I can get around the problem, but would be nice to be able to do it within CE.

Tried it on a mega ste tos 2.06 and an ste under 1.62 & 2.06 same result.

My ste has a discovery cartridge fitted which means I need to use the external drive port, the cover db19 cover means you have to unplug anything in the port. Not a problem to me as I'll be using it on the mega ste.

Steve

Social Media

Return to “CosmosEx”