PC app for copying files to an ST floppy image

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

8bitbubsy
Atariator
Atariator
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:15 am
Location: Norway
Contact:

PC app for copying files to an ST floppy image

Postby 8bitbubsy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:38 pm

My Atari 1040STf has got TOS 1.00 and therefore can't read DOS formatted disks... (I'm waiting for Rainbow TOS 1.4 from eBay)
But I can write images from my PC using FloIMG though. I wish to write MaxYMiser to an empty .ST disk file so I can write it with FloIMG and open it in GEM on my Atari - is this possible on Windows?

:)

User avatar
BoNuS
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 765
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: PC app for copying files to an ST floppy image

Postby BoNuS » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:45 pm

http://bonus.home.xs4all.nl/
( I have just to much Atari stuff)

8bitbubsy
Atariator
Atariator
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:15 am
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: PC app for copying files to an ST floppy image

Postby 8bitbubsy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:09 pm

I don't want to dump Atari ST disks, I want to create new .ST/.MSA disk files on my Windows PC from bare files!
Let's say I have C:\MYM_V129 on my PC - I want to add this folder to a new .ST/.MSA disk file so I can write it out to a floppy with FloIMG, then pop it in my Atari ST and run maxYMiser through GEM :wink:
I do already know how to write .ST/.MSA disk files to floppies, that's not my issue.

User avatar
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian
Posts: 12719
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 2:09 pm
Location: Far East
Contact:

Re: PC app for copying files to an ST floppy image

Postby wongck » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:50 am

MSA converter allows you to create disk images.... it may do what you want to.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

SofiST
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:25 pm

Re: PC app for copying files to an ST floppy image

Postby SofiST » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:28 pm

8bitbubsy wrote:My Atari 1040STf has got TOS 1.00 and therefore can't read DOS formatted disks... (I'm waiting for Rainbow TOS 1.4 from eBay)
But I can write images from my PC using FloIMG though. I wish to write MaxYMiser to an empty .ST disk file so I can write it with FloIMG and open it in GEM on my Atari - is this possible on Windows?
:)


In fact, you can do it with Floppy Image too. Therefore is File transfer option. In original distro you may find empty image files for that, and writing into them. Or in any ST image file where is enough space.
Then, may add files to images with some ST emulator on PC like Steem or Hatari.

User avatar
spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme
Posts: 2590
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:53 pm
Location: just outside bristol
Contact:

Re: PC app for copying files to an ST floppy image

Postby spiny » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:05 pm

8bitbubsy wrote:I don't want to dump Atari ST disks, I want to create new .ST/.MSA disk files on my Windows PC from bare files!
Let's say I have C:\MYM_V129 on my PC - I want to add this folder to a new .ST/.MSA disk file so I can write it out to a floppy with FloIMG, then pop it in my Atari ST and run maxYMiser through GEM :wink:
I do already know how to write .ST/.MSA disk files to floppies, that's not my issue.



you can do this with steem:

1: fire up steem
2: configure a hard drive, pointing to where your files are
3: open the disk manager window
4: right click and select 'new standard disk image'
5: name it something sensable
6: insert it to A: drive
7: in steem, copy files from the hard drive to the floppy
8: use floimg to wrute the disk

easy :)

User avatar
simonsunnyboy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:36 pm
Location: Friedrichshafen, Germany
Contact:

Re: PC app for copying files to an ST floppy image

Postby simonsunnyboy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:50 pm

The SainT emulator brings a tool that will create an .ST image if you drop a ZIP file on it. Pretty easy to use for the novice!
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

User avatar
daeghnao
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 479
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:41 pm
Location: York, UK
Contact:

Re: PC app for copying files to an ST floppy image

Postby daeghnao » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:12 am

I'm not familiar with exactly how your version of Windows works, but I wonder if - in a pinch - you could write a standard blank TOS-1.00-compatible image to a disk with floimg and then write the files onto the disk direct from Windows? At best it'll leave its VFAT rubbish all over the place, but the ST should ignore that in most cases. Can anyone confirm whether this approach is possible?

SofiST
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:25 pm

Re: PC app for copying files to an ST floppy image

Postby SofiST » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:16 am

daeghnao wrote:I'm not familiar with exactly how your version of Windows works, but I wonder if - in a pinch - you could write a standard blank TOS-1.00-compatible image to a disk with floimg and then write the files onto the disk direct from Windows? At best it'll leave its VFAT rubbish all over the place, but the ST should ignore that in most cases. Can anyone confirm whether this approach is possible?


Idea is quite good, and I little forgot about it - even if similar was talked many times.
Actually, "blank TOS 1.0 compatible image" is misleading. Regular DOS 720 KB floppy is compatible with any TOS, and what is more important, with dumb Windows :D . So, get FloImg from site if have not, depack somewhere, then go in subdir help and extract file 720PCF.st from small archive EmptyFlops.zip . This is PC DOS (PCF=PC format) floppy image.
Best way is btw. not to write image onto floppy first, but adding files to image. So, open that empty image file in FloImg (Open another image file button) and use File Transfer for adding files. After adding all write it onto floppy.
Btw. all it is possible to get if someone takes effort to read instructions on site or suplied help file :lol:
Ah, just to add - when again need empty DOS 720K image, depack it again :mrgreen:
Too complicated ? Sorry, I grown on Total Commander (actually, it was Norton in that time) .

P.S. no any rubbish will be created.

Beej
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 7:46 am

Re: PC app for copying files to an ST floppy image

Postby Beej » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:02 pm

8bitbubsy wrote:My Atari 1040STf has got TOS 1.00 and therefore can't read DOS formatted disks... (I'm waiting for Rainbow TOS 1.4 from eBay)
But I can write images from my PC using FloIMG though. I wish to write MaxYMiser to an empty .ST disk file so I can write it with FloIMG and open it in GEM on my Atari - is this possible on Windows?

:)


Deleted original post and attachment...I didn't read the question very well. Sorry.
Thanks SoftiST for catching it (in next post).

Beej
Last edited by Beej on Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SofiST
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 591
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:25 pm

Re: PC app for copying files to an ST floppy image

Postby SofiST » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:21 pm

Beej wrote:
8bitbubsy wrote:My Atari 1040STf has got TOS 1.00 and therefore can't read DOS formatted disks... (I'm waiting for Rainbow TOS 1.4 from eBay)
But I can write images from my PC using FloIMG though. I wish to write MaxYMiser to an empty .ST disk file so I can write it with FloIMG and open it in GEM on my Atari - is this possible on Windows?

:)

What about loading a different tos into ST ram?
Try this attached package.

Beej



Please, please... This is not right package. No Image Runner for TOS 1.00 - with good reason.

Here is already stated that TOS 1.00 can work with regular DOS 720K floppies.

If want to load different TOS into ST RAM you need SELTOS or RAMTOS .

Beej
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 7:46 am

Re: PC app for copying files to an ST floppy image

Postby Beej » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:08 am

SofiST wrote:
Beej wrote:
8bitbubsy wrote:My Atari 1040STf has got TOS 1.00 and therefore can't read DOS formatted disks... (I'm waiting for Rainbow TOS 1.4 from eBay)
But I can write images from my PC using FloIMG though. I wish to write MaxYMiser to an empty .ST disk file so I can write it with FloIMG and open it in GEM on my Atari - is this possible on Windows?

:)

What about loading a different tos into ST ram?
Try this attached package.

Beej



Please, please... This is not right package. No Image Runner for TOS 1.00 - with good reason.

Here is already stated that TOS 1.00 can work with regular DOS 720K floppies.

If want to load different TOS into ST RAM you need SELTOS or RAMTOS .


Thanks for catching my mistake...didn't read the tread very well.

To make his images on the ST side he can use jaymsa.
To do it PC side as already mentioned STeem works.

Also for PC check out the software that comes with the HxC Floppy emulator:
It has some pretty nice image manipulation software. Should be able to download the software parts of it from here:
http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/

Beej

User avatar
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian
Posts: 12719
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 2:09 pm
Location: Far East
Contact:

Re: PC app for copying files to an ST floppy image

Postby wongck » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:22 am

Beej wrote:Also for PC check out the software that comes with the HxC Floppy emulator:
It has some pretty nice image manipulation software. Should be able to download the software parts of it from here:
http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/

That one does a great job for bulk conversion.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Mozartkugel
Retro freak
Retro freak
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:25 am

Re: PC app for copying files to an ST floppy image

Postby Mozartkugel » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:41 pm

simonsunnyboy wrote:The SainT emulator brings a tool that will create an .ST image if you drop a ZIP file on it. Pretty easy to use for the novice!


This helped me, thanks! [smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_17.gif]

If some other ST newbie would face the issue, the program is called Dir2msa.exe. You just have to drag and drop a folder onto the exe file and it creates an .msa disk image.

User avatar
simonsunnyboy
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5101
Joined: Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:36 pm
Location: Friedrichshafen, Germany
Contact:

Re: PC app for copying files to an ST floppy image

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:58 am

Mozartkugel wrote:
simonsunnyboy wrote:The SainT emulator brings a tool that will create an .ST image if you drop a ZIP file on it. Pretty easy to use for the novice!


This helped me, thanks! [smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_17.gif]

If some other ST newbie would face the issue, the program is called Dir2msa.exe. You just have to drag and drop a folder onto the exe file and it creates an .msa disk image.


Hatari brings a similar utility, mainly useful for Linux users called zip2st.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee


Social Media

     

Return to “Applications”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest