Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

karlm
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Atari Shielding

Postby karlm » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:30 am

Hi all.

I'm considering building a new case (yes building, not modifying) for my Falcon. Now, all the Atari's I own have a serious amount of shielding around them. My question is - how necessary is it? The case I'm considering building will be more of a skeleton rather than a typical 'case' so that cooling issues will not be a problem, and I can add a new power supply, DVD rom, etc.
Any hints?

Cheers

karlm.

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Atari Shielding

Postby alexh » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:08 am

Shielding is there to reduce the amount of stray electromagnetic radiation that the Falcon produces. There are laws regarding emissions so as not to interfere with other electronic (particularly RF) equipment. Atari had to meet or they would not be able to sell their product .

I think you can leave out the shielding on anything you do. Plus if you use a metal enclosure (such as a PC case) that will do the same job.

karlm
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby karlm » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:50 am

Cheers Alex. I was under the impression that it was there to reduce what it outputs, but wanted to make sure. As I stated in the post, the new 'case' will be more a skeleton, and as such I was wondering about the shielding, as skeleton frames have no shielding. I know the RF modulator needs to be shielded so as not to introduce any noise into the output signal, and was wondering if any other parts needed shielding, that's why the question.

So off to my old man's mig welder to build the new one now :)

cheers

eeun
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby eeun » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:00 pm

Karlm, I hope you'll post some pictures once your re-case is underway.

I've picked up an STe board, and am currently re-casing it in a heat-damaged STf case. It'll have an Eiffel interface on the back of the case, and I've installed a CF card slot (attached to Popsel and Pera's IDE interface) where the mouse/joystick port was. The keyboard on the original case is covered in sheet styrene.
The case will have to stand vertically, and at some point I'll get around to cutting out some plexiglass for a stand.

No RF shielding on top, but I'm still likely to use the metal plate that goes under the board, just to give some extra support against flexing.
cfslot.jpg

nokeyboard.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:14 am

karlm wrote:I was under the impression that it was there to reduce what it outputs, but wanted to make sure.

Actually, that's not 100% accurate, the shielding also protects from the emissions from other equipment, not only reducing the emissions from the Atari.

If all other equipment in your room is properly shielded it will never become an issue.

And as alex says, if you build a new case in metal it will do the job aswell.
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”