Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

mfletcher
Atari User
Atari User

C-Lab Falcon has Dual Voltage PSU?

Postby mfletcher » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:31 pm

Hi,

I received my C-Lab mk 1 Falcon today from Ebay, its a PAL / UK Machine. Originally I thought I was going to have to buy a step up transformer to use this in the States (I live in Chicago), but when I was checking out the underside of the machine, it says:

110-120V 60Hz 1.0A 120W and
220-240V 50Hz 0.5A 120W

Does this mean that this computer can be used in either the USA or UK without modifications to its power supply? Did C-Lab do this intentionally?

Thanks,

Mark

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: C-Lab Falcon has Dual Voltage PSU?

Postby PaulB » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:35 pm

I can't tell you if C-Lab did that themselves but you could always remove it from the Falcon (to be on the safe side), plug it in and check the voltages that are output. Even if it doesn't put out enough voltage you probably won't harm it.

Mark_G
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mark_G » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:12 pm

Hello,

So, you bought the C-lab :)

I checked mine (C-lab mkII), and it has a stock falcon PSU. I opened the case, and on the psu is printed '250V'.

If I was you, I didn't try to attach it direct to the net. Those machines are too rare.

Btw, if you open the case, can you take some photos from keyboard, motherboard, etc...

C-lab didn't give info about their machines, and I want to know which parts, which rev. boards, and which modifications they made to a falcon.
The only pics I found where on http://mpc.fab.free.fr/atari/atari16-32/c-lab.htm

Mark

mfletcher
Atari User
Atari User

Postby mfletcher » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:35 pm

Mark_G wrote:Hello,

So, you bought the C-lab :)

I checked mine (C-lab mkII), and it has a stock falcon PSU. I opened the case, and on the psu is printed '250V'.

If I was you, I didn't try to attach it direct to the net. Those machines are too rare.

Btw, if you open the case, can you take some photos from keyboard, motherboard, etc...

C-lab didn't give info about their machines, and I want to know which parts, which rev. boards, and which modifications they made to a falcon.
The only pics I found where on http://mpc.fab.free.fr/atari/atari16-32/c-lab.htm

Mark

Yup, Ive got it at work right now and Im scared to take it out of the bubble wrap ;) I think the safest option is to just get a step-up transformer and give it a try. So once Ive got it up and running, I'll open it up and post some hardware pr0n for you. :-)

Mark

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:38 pm

First of all, do NOT take my word for this, check it thoroughly before you try. (But please report the results!)

Afaik, later Ataris, starting with Mega STE / TT and later F030 use universal powersupplies. Meaning that they indeed work in both worlds so to speak.

C-Lab never put their own PSU into their Falcons, they used the exact same PSU Atari did, albeit with a few extra power lines soldered to it to supply the hdd with power.

This was afaik, another one of Atari's "firsts". Before Atari did it, I don't think any widely spread manufacturer used multi-input power supplies.
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

Mark_G
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mark_G » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:30 pm

In my c-lab, I didn't see the extra power lines. Strange.

I saw it herehttp://www.maedicke.de/atari/hardware/pictures/falconmkx_2.jpg at a mkx , but I don't know if c-lab did the same with an mkI and mkII

I know the first owner replaced the scsi-drive with an 2,5" IDE drive. But, I can still see the open connectors just in front off the scsi port. So maybe he replaced also the PSU ?

Does someone know if all c-lab's have german keyboards, or are they also produced with other keyboards ?

Mark.

techie_alison
Administrator
Administrator

Postby techie_alison » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:31 pm

Remove the PSU, and photograph it's innards. We can tell you (with some degree of certainty) if it's a multi-voltage SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply).

Photographing it and the rest of the machine will be good for achive purposes too. :-)
If I don't answer or appear to have forgotton then email again, I'm scatty! :)

http://www.logicsays.com/ = Updated Site
http://www.logicsays.com/index1 = Older Site (with more Atari)

mfletcher
Atari User
Atari User

Postby mfletcher » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:39 pm

Agh,

Sorry for the late reply, but heres some Hardware pr0n of its innards... apologies for the picture quality, it was taken with my phone.

The C-Lab Mk I itself:

The underside of the C-Lab Mk I, with the label that initally led me to believe that it might be dual voltage:

Three seperate shots of the PSU:

Needless to say, I havent tried plugging it in!

Mark_G
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mark_G » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:59 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the photos.

Can you take some photos from the area around the jackets for the loadspeaker ?

There can see some modifications, done by C-lab. Can you make a photo of it ?
Can you make a photo of the whole motherboard ?

Your keyboard is a stock qwerty keyboard. Is there some sticker/sign like 'UK' on the keyboard, or the C-lab.

Are there some modifications done near the scsi port ? On I Clab II, the resistors are removed and a connector is added.

Thanks for the info.

Mark.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”