USB HxCF Atari TT Freezes at HxC manager

Everything related to using the HxC Floppy Emulator hardware on your Atari.

Moderators: DrCoolZic, mr.vince, Moderator Team

alyre
Retro freak
Retro freak

USB HxCF Atari TT Freezes at HxC manager

Postby alyre » Mon May 08, 2017 9:43 pm

I have repeatedly tried without success to get my USB HxC Floppy emulator (v. 3.0.6a) to work with my TT. I have tried all three modes (normal, index and autoboot, with the JA jumper set only for normal setting". I have tried both "Atari St" and "Atari HD" as configuration settings. Have tried jumpering MO, no difference. The TT works fine with the drive I took out of my 1040ST, which now has its own HxC which works fine. So it seems to be a software or configuration/hardware/jumper problem. Can't find any reference to a configuration scheme that works. I have run out of ideas. If someone has actually got this working on a TT, and could pass this on it would be most useful. The emulator I have is in a box with GOTEK in the far right, a green LED left of the name and two black buttons to the right of the USB port. Another bit of puzzle is that I can see how the left and right buttons could go up and down the images but how would you actually confirm your selection as both button seems to be for firmware upgrade?

What I do see is "Loading HxC manger [••••••••••••••• " on the screen and nothing happens afterwards -hangs

Thanks

Alyre

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Re: USB HxCF Atari TT Freezes at HxC manager

Postby Dal » Tue May 09, 2017 7:45 am

Keep the HxC in standard Atari mode (AtariHD is something different). Then try removing the E6 jumper to set the floppy type setting in TT's TOS to double density.the jumper is under the hard drive bay towards the front of the machine IIRC.
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

alyre
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby alyre » Tue May 09, 2017 12:40 pm

Dal wrote:Keep the HxC in standard Atari mode (AtariHD is something different). Then try removing the E6 jumper to set the floppy type setting in TT's TOS to double density.the jumper is under the hard drive bay towards the front of the machine IIRC.

Thanks for the response. Just to confirm, are your refering to the DIP switches, in the lower right corner of the TT ? A block of several switches, usually in a red block. Flipping switch 7 up sends a signal to TOS which allows formatting of HD disks. In my case it was already active, as I had a hd floppy drive in the machine before the drive failed. I am not aware of in addition a E6 jumper under the hard drive, the floppy controler chip is there. Just want to check, because I will have to take off the shield to get a wider look. I did try flipping D7 down with the emulator in Atari ST disk mode, the manager didn't even start to boot in this case. There is obviously some initial communication between the emulator and the TT to put up the HxC manager booting message on the screen with D7 up but something then goes wrong.

Thanks

Alyre

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Tue May 09, 2017 3:02 pm

alyre wrote:Just to confirm, are your refering to the DIP switches, in the lower right corner of the TT ?

Yes - I've not been in there for some time so thought they were jumpers. But yes E0-E7 in TOS aligns to D1-D7 on the switch array there. From what I recall, these 8 bits are part of the cookie jar in TOS and can be used for literally anything. But TOS definitely reads the state of this switch in order to drive its HD floppy routines.

Switching it off tells TOS it has a DD drive attached (like a standard ST), hence why I suggested to try it as I know the HxC definitely plays nice as a DD drive in a regular ST. So, must be something with TOS 3.0x that's causing a problem.

I've never tried HxC in a TT and I'm not going to be near my machines anytime soon to try it out for you, I'm afraid so I may have to bow out and hope somebody else can pick up on this thread.
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

alyre
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby alyre » Tue May 09, 2017 7:02 pm

Dal wrote:
alyre wrote:Just to confirm, are your refering to the DIP switches, in the lower right corner of the TT ?

Yes - I've not been in there for some time so thought they were jumpers. But yes E0-E7 in TOS aligns to D1-D7 on the switch array there. From what I recall, these 8 bits are part of the cookie jar in TOS and can be used for literally anything. But TOS definitely reads the state of this switch in order to drive its HD floppy routines.

Switching it off tells TOS it has a DD drive attached (like a standard ST), hence why I suggested to try it as I know the HxC definitely plays nice as a DD drive in a regular ST. So, must be something with TOS 3.0x that's causing a problem.

I've never tried HxC in a TT and I'm not going to be near my machines anytime soon to try it out for you, I'm afraid so I may have to bow out and hope somebody else can pick up on this thread.

Thanks for the effort. I do have a second fully fonctional TT. Will try it on the second one to rule out something particular about the first one. Would be great if it worked like it does on the 1040ST.

Alyre

alyre
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby alyre » Wed May 10, 2017 1:24 pm

alyre wrote:
Dal wrote:

Thanks for the effort. I do have a second fully fonctional TT. Will try it on the second one to rule out something particular about the first one. Would be great if it worked like it does on the 1040ST.

Alyre

Just a follow - up. I tried it on my other TT and it worked. The setting were with the MO jumpered, Atart ST as disk mode and D7 on, flipped up. Something strange going on with floppy access on my other TT but that's another question.

Alyre

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Wed May 10, 2017 4:18 pm

Same version of TOS in both TTs?

Check the floppy ribbon cable in the one that isn't working for any suspicious kinks or other damage.

If you have a diagnostic cart, try running the floppy tests with that.

Give any socketed chip a push to make sure they are seated.

At least we know it should work with a TT, which is a good starting point [smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_01.gif]

Social Media

Return to “HxC Floppy Emulator”