HxC FE and TOS 2.06 - info request

Everything related to using the HxC Floppy Emulator hardware on your Atari.

Moderators: DrCoolZic, mr.vince, Moderator Team

troed
Atari God
Atari God

HxC FE and TOS 2.06 - info request

Postby troed » Mon May 21, 2012 9:08 pm

Hi,

First of all: I've been an HxC SD Floppy Emu user for a full weekend now and I'm extremely happy. I bought it for one specific purpose, to be able to know that if my Megafile 30 did manage to boot after eleven years of moving around between basements I would also be able to copy data off it and onto a more ... modern computer.

That's now done, successfully, and thus I'm interested in looking into the one thing that puzzles me. It seems I'm unable to get the HxC host file manager software working on my TOS 2.06 STE. I've posted about this over on the support forum, and it seems I'm not the only one that has had problems with the direct access mode on TOS 2.06. The confusing part is that it's worked - once - though. Before I put too much time into figuring out what the problem might be I'd like to know if there's anyone successfully able to run the host disk image selector on TOS 2.06.

So, feel free to post your experiences ;) Successful and/or not successful. My own description of the problem and Jeff's track 255 hypothesis can be found here: http://www.torlus.com/floppy/forum/view ... ?f=6&t=908

/Troed

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Re: HxC FE and TOS 2.06 - info request

Postby troed » Wed May 30, 2012 1:33 pm

Anyone? I can't be the only one who's tried the SD HxC on TOS 2.06 can I? :)

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed May 30, 2012 11:16 pm

Sorry, use it for my Falcon. Once I had it on my STFM for some tries (I think it was to test KaOS) but no real experience on Tos 2.06.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

johncarteronmars
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby johncarteronmars » Thu May 31, 2012 1:14 am

Hi , I not only use my HxC on my Mega STE w/2.05 , but I use it on both a 520ST w/1meg and seltos over 1.02
and my MegaST4 w/seltos 2.06 over 1.02 also, I had some smallfry problems but if Im reading your post right you cannot use the
filemanager scrreen system with it?, I have not even tried that because the Manual said I had to be in MedRez.
I have owned 2 color monitors since 1991 but I have never really used them and since they said it doesn't work in
HiRez I never tried it. I like hi rez because most of my work on the Atari has alaways been music of wp / dtp

I will try to run up my color equiptment to see if it works with 2.06 but iit may be a few days before I can get back to you on that.

jokker
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby jokker » Thu May 31, 2012 2:40 am

I used it on 2 different MSTE with 2.06 with no problems at all.

Also on a few Mega4's running 1.04, a Mega 2 running 1.02 and a few 1040's running from 1.02 - 1.04

Never had a single problem with either the USB or SD models.

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Thu May 31, 2012 8:48 am

johncarteronmars wrote:since they said it doesn't work in HiRez I never tried it.

I will try to run up my color equiptment to see if it works with 2.06 but iit may be a few days before I can get back to you on that.

Yeah reading through the source it looks pretty hardcoded for medium resolution. If you find the time additional confirmation would be great!

jokker wrote:I used it on 2 different MSTE with 2.06 with no problems at all.

Alright, nice! Then it doesn't seem to be a question of TOS 2.06 not allowing seeks to track 255 - and also supports the fact that I managed to get it working once. However, that probably also means the problem is even more difficult to solve (I was already well under way replacing the bios seek with direct DMA addressing) and so I'll need even more info:

Do you remember if your MSTEs were in 8MHz mode at any of those tests, or were they always in 16MHz? It could be timing related.

(And just to be clear, you were using the autoboot.hfe file selector? It's the switch to direct addressing mode that it does that fails - all other normal operations work just fine on my machine as well)

Many thanks for replying guys.

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:04 pm

Since my STE already had dual TOS roms (but no switch) I just added the switch and tried booting the file manager with TOS 1.62 instead of TOS 2.06. No other changes.

That works fine. There really is something to do with the TOS version here, please everyone reading this, reply with hardware spec details if you have the File Manager software (autoboot.hfe) working on your TOS 2.06 HxC SD FE.

Jeff_HxC2001
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Jeff_HxC2001 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi,

I finally burn some pairs of EPROM with a 2.06 TOS to try this on my STE :

Result :

http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emu ... anager.zip
03/06/2012: SDCard HxCFloppyEmulator Manager v1.7a
- Track Seek timeout/Floprate() bug corrected for TOS 2.06 machines
- Monochrome/HighRes machine support added.

02/06/2012: SDCard HxCFloppyEmulator Manager v1.6a
- No more Key sound.
- More Color scheme. Color setting is now saved.
- <<Folder name with space>> bug corrected

This was a track seek timeout problem...
It seems that the TOS function Floprate() doesn't work correctly on the 2.06...

To get around this problem, i move the head to the track 255 without using TOS function...

Please note that Monochrome/HighRes display are now also supported.

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:41 pm

Jeff_HxC2001 wrote:This was a track seek timeout problem...
It seems that the TOS function Floprate() doesn't work correctly on the 2.06...

To get around this problem, i move the head to the track 255 without using TOS function...

Excellent! Thank you Jeff :) I just verified the new version working on my machine with TOS 2.06.

(And your implementation of DMA seeking in C is a lot cleaner than the inline asm I had almost wrapped up as well ... ;))

Social Media

Return to “HxC Floppy Emulator”