HxC Floppy Emulator Installation Questions

Everything related to using the HxC Floppy Emulator hardware on your Atari.

Moderators: DrCoolZic, mr.vince, Moderator Team

HxC Floppy Emulator Installation Questions

Postby Franz Schiller » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:35 pm

Hey gang, I just received one of Lotharek's HxC floppy emulators for my 1040stf. I have a silly question.

I know a lot of you cats build and mod computers and stuff, but I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to the mechanics under the hood.

I was able to remove the old (broken) floppy drive successfully. But I need a longer cable that runs from the motherboard (?) to the (formerly floppy) drive and the power nubbin cable. What are those cables called? So that I can find/buy them?

Also, I plan on mounting the HxC on the STF's case, and so I wish to detach the screen from the rest of the HxC. What kind of cable do I need to connect the two parts?

Pardon my ignorance and thanks in advance for any help!
Franz Schiller
Atariator
Atariator

Re: HxC Floppy Emulator Installation Questions

Postby wongck » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:01 am

Looks like a similar issue discussed in the thread.

The cable is a 34-pins floppy cable.
My Stuff: Falcon CT63+CTPCI ATI R7500 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD EtherNEC/ FB/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Franz Schiller » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:31 pm

I did search the forum for that info, but somehow I missed that thread.

Thanks a bunch Wongck for the help!
Franz Schiller
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Methanoid » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:26 pm

Guys, rather than installing this in place of the FDD, what about installing AS WELL as the FDD with a switch to enable it to be Disk 0 or 1?

If the gap in the middle of this pic is 100mm or wider, the HXC could be fitted with the SD card facing out the back of the ST... Anyone tried that? Dont have access to my ST right now to measure it... :(
Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby troed » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:26 pm

Methanoid wrote:Guys, rather than installing this in place of the FDD, what about installing AS WELL as the FDD with a switch to enable it to be Disk 0 or 1?

If the gap in the middle of this pic is 100mm or wider, the HXC could be fitted with the SD card facing out the back of the ST... Anyone tried that? Dont have access to my ST right now to measure it... :(

My STE looks slightly different but it's what I've planned to do (incl. the switch). Modifying the metal shielding as needed.
troed
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Dal » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:52 pm

Look at my site:

Hardware Mods
Read the "Floppy A/B switch mod" article.

Looks like you have an STFM there. Principle is exactly the same. The exact points on the board to break out from are probably located in a different place though. Give me a shout if you need any specific help.
FireBee, Falcon -Soundpool case: CT63@95Mhz + 14MB/512MB + 16GB SSD + FPU + Phantom 25/50 + SuperVidel + SoundPool FDI + FA8 + ADAT + Eiffel, TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STbook, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's
Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:55 pm

You should also read the article on casing the HxC as this details how to wire the cable from the HxC to the ST's external floppy connector.

If you want to keep everything internal, then you might look at removing the external floppy socket and wiring a short ribbon with 34way connector directly in its place?
FireBee, Falcon -Soundpool case: CT63@95Mhz + 14MB/512MB + 16GB SSD + FPU + Phantom 25/50 + SuperVidel + SoundPool FDI + FA8 + ADAT + Eiffel, TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STbook, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's
Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Return to HxC Floppy Emulator