Last batch of USB HxC Floppy Emulator

Everything related to using the HxC Floppy Emulator hardware on your Atari.

Moderators: mr.vince, DrCoolZic, Moderator Team

Last batch of USB HxC Floppy Emulator

Postby Jeff_HxC2001 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:25 pm

Hi,
A new and probably the last batch of USB HxC Floppy Emulator will be made by petersieg:

http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopic.php?t=242

Hello.

I have decided to build another final batch of app. 10 HxC USB floppy emulators.. They will be fully assembled and tested with Amiga 600.
If you are still interested, I am trying to stay with the former price tag
of 80€/Unit plus 10€ shipping insured inside EU or uninsured to other countries.

However, I need to have at least 4 unit preorder and prepayment, to
order pcb's, programmer and parts.

Manufacturing time will take app. 4-5 weeks! (Sorry)

So, if you still want want, let me know at: peter.sieg1<at>gmx.de

Thanks, Peter

The projet page:
http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/index.html#USBFloppyemulator

The pictures/videos page:
http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/pictures/index.html#usb_hxc_floppy_emu_pictures
Last edited by Jeff_HxC2001 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff_HxC2001
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Last batch of USB HxC Floppy Emulator

Postby MiggyMog » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:59 pm

Great product. A bit expensive for me though.

I wish somone would make a product which does the opposite of this. I.E. you plug a floppy drive in one side and it it detects and creates an image file of all the data on the surface of the magnetic disk & inteligently
names the files based on content & saves to SD card. I think there is a market for such a product.
Last edited by MiggyMog on Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.
MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby BoNuS » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:50 am

I saw one at the Outline party 2009 (I believe it was on Thorn's his machine) and it worked great. That is the gizmo I was looking
for but at this price I have to think it over. It's more than a Satan drive and is just floppy's. But to work a bit better with the .MSA
format I might be worth it. I mill this one over... (can't spend money more then once)
http://bonus.home.xs4all.nl/
2 x Falcon 030 - a mint Atari TT - Mega STE - 2x STE - 1x Mega 2 - 2x STFM - 1 x STF - 3x SC1224 - 2x SM124 - 1x SM125 2x Portofolio+interface
- 3x 1435 monitor - 1 x Ult.Ripper cardridge - Mega 1,2,and 4 ( just to much Atari stuff)
BoNuS
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby StickHead » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:31 am

I'm in the same boat as BoNuS. I would love one of these (what a great accompaniment to Marcer's game DVD!), but have already shelled out for an UltraSatan and can't afford to splash out again. :(
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.
StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Jeff_HxC2001 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:51 am

sorry this batch is already sold out...

A question to the Atari forum community: How much can/would you spent for a SDcard floppy emulator ? 30euros,40euros,50euros,60euros,80euros, 100euros or more ?
Jeff_HxC2001
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby BoNuS » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:47 pm

Jeff_HxC2001 wrote:sorry this batch is already sold out...

A question to the Atari forum community: How much can/would you spent for a SDcard floppy emulator ? 30euros,40euros,50euros,60euros,80euros, 100euros or more ?

Well that's fast !!! Question: if it is sold out so fast wouldn't it make sence to make a larger batch (cost reduction) or
maybe even consider an extra batch. It seems to me that there is enough market for more and after that you can always
look into a new market like an SDcard floppy...

I quess you can get enough (pre) orders to finance a larger batch. Or am I getting to commerical now ;)
http://bonus.home.xs4all.nl/
2 x Falcon 030 - a mint Atari TT - Mega STE - 2x STE - 1x Mega 2 - 2x STFM - 1 x STF - 3x SC1224 - 2x SM124 - 1x SM125 2x Portofolio+interface
- 3x 1435 monitor - 1 x Ult.Ripper cardridge - Mega 1,2,and 4 ( just to much Atari stuff)
BoNuS
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby wongck » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:55 pm

Jeff_HxC2001 wrote:A question to the Atari forum community: How much can/would you spent for a SDcard floppy emulator ? 30euros,40euros,50euros,60euros,80euros, 100euros or more ?

I saw once such device, well a USB stick rather than SD card, which replaces the floppy at ebay for around 20 quid.
I did not get it because the device was from Taiwan, and the cost of shipping within Asia was the same as to Europe - around 16 quid.
My Stuff: Falcon CT63+CTPCI ATI R7500 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD EtherNEC/ FB/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby spiny » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:55 pm

Jeff_HxC2001 wrote:sorry this batch is already sold out...

i'd pay about 60 euros.
spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby simonsunnyboy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:18 pm

40€ if it was readonly like the current version.
80€ would be ok if it could write back to disk image.

Also a version with SD Card instead of USB host would be of much more use because one could use the Atari independant of a PC this way.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/ - STOT: http://www.npoi.de/stot/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

Jabber: simonsunnyboy@atari-jabber.org
simonsunnyboy

Postby Jeff_HxC2001 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:43 pm

simonsunnyboy wrote:40€ if it was readonly like the current version.
80€ would be ok if it could write back to disk image.

Also a version with SD Card instead of USB host would be of much more use because one could use the Atari independant of a PC this way.

The question was for the Sdcard version to see if a production is possible.
The sdcard version supports both reading and writing !

http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emu ... u_pictures
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0arlGguYEts

to build yourself the sdcard floppy emulator emulator : http://jeanfrancoisdelnero.free.fr/flop ... pyemulator
Last edited by Jeff_HxC2001 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff_HxC2001
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby spiny » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:45 pm

does the atari / amiga etc see the whole card as a floppy disk ?

my ideal solution would be a device that replacs the floppy drive and contains an SD card that is seen as a floppy disk - for example, my atari would think I had a 500meg floppy disk. But I expect the OS would freak out if this were the case ?
spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby Mug UK » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:55 pm

I have the SDiskEmul in a spare 1040STE - which was installed by TTOwner very nicely inside the STE's case. I can fill up a 1Gig SD card with .ST or .MSA images and 'insert' them into Drive A:, once inserted, reboot the ST (for auto-booting disks) and watch it all load in nice and simple.

I'm guessing this is a slightly different way of doing things whereby the PC supplies the images (similar to the SIO2PC for Atari 8bit machines?) - but correct me if I'm wrong on this.
Having sold 99.9% of my 1300+ collection of originals, I'm taking a bit of a back seat on the forum. I'll still do the front-of-house admin tasks as and when they're required but, for now, I'm enjoying my Xbox 360 time too much :)

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby spiny » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:09 pm

Mug UK wrote:I have the SDiskEmul in a spare 1040STE - which was installed by TTOwner very nicely inside the STE's case. I can fill up a 1Gig SD card with .ST or .MSA images and 'insert' them into Drive A:, once inserted, reboot the ST (for auto-booting disks) and watch it all load in nice and simple.

I'm guessing this is a slightly different way of doing things whereby the PC supplies the images (similar to the SIO2PC for Atari 8bit machines?) - but correct me if I'm wrong on this.

hmm, not really what I'm after.

I'd like a solid state removable replacement for the floppy disk, if thats even possible :)
spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby Jeff_HxC2001 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:43 pm

spiny wrote:does the atari / amiga etc see the whole card as a floppy disk ?

my ideal solution would be a device that replacs the floppy drive and contains an SD card that is seen as a floppy disk - for example, my atari would think I had a 500meg floppy disk. But I expect the OS would freak out if this were the case ?

For Atari ST you can make a “big” floppy image, but it’s limited to some megabytes since the floppy controller can access “only” 256 tracks per floppy and ~36 sectors per tracks (256*36*2=18432 sectors per floppy -> ~9.4MB per floppy).
But this is not very interesting because the bitrate still at 250kbits/s (~20Kbytes/s) -> a very slow “hard drive”.
Under amiga the Os limit the floppy size at 880kB.
Jeff_HxC2001
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby MiggyMog » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:01 pm

30euros,40euros,50euros,60euros,80euros, 100euros or more ?

With regard to an RW floppy emulating SD card interface which can hold tonnes of MSA,ST,DSK,STT:-

For 30 euros it's a must buy!
For 40 it's affordable.
For 50 I'd think aboout it.

Anything more than that would be offputting.

However I think you would sell a tonne of these if they were cheap enough(Stack 'em high sell 'em cheap!) especially as it is multi format especially if an external was available(Some people are always put off by having to open there machines even if it is farily easy).

It would be good if there was a special mode to let each machine read the disks of the others(I realise some do already).

The major advantage of this device is that you can boot from the image & it's invisible to the host machine. Although perra has made an image runner for atari which can be used with hard disk it's nowhere near as good as this solution(Yet).
('< o o o o |''| STM,2xSTFM,2xSTE+HD,C-Lab Falcon MK2+HD,Satandisk,Ultrasatandisk,Ethernat.
MiggyMog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby spiny » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:35 pm

Jeff_HxC2001 wrote:
spiny wrote:does the atari / amiga etc see the whole card as a floppy disk ?

For Atari ST you can make a “big” floppy image, but it’s limited to some megabytes since the floppy controller can access “only” 256 tracks per floppy and ~36 sectors per tracks (256*36*2=18432 sectors per floppy -> ~9.4MB per floppy).
But this is not very interesting because the bitrate still at 250kbits/s (~20Kbytes/s) -> a very slow “hard drive”.
Under amiga the Os limit the floppy size at 880kB.

hmmm, even that 'small' would probably be worth it to me - assuming it would be 'hot swappable' like a floppy disk is, then it would mean a very easy way to copy files from a pc to an atari - once on the 'floppy' I could then transfer them to my satandisk.

I have a satandisk 2 on order whcih does the hot swap bit, but to convert the floppy drive to some kind of solid state storage device would be brilliant. Basically I'd like the equivalent of the pc 'boot from usb key' - quiet, bigger and no moving parts.
spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby wongck » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:00 pm

spiny wrote:hmmm, even that 'small' would probably be worth it to me - assuming it would be 'hot swappable' like a floppy disk is, then it would mean a very easy way to copy files from a pc to an atari - once on the 'floppy' I could then transfer them to my satandisk.

There many ways to transfer files between PC & Atari, including the SD card which is my favorite way now -- because you can also pop it into a camera and get some pics into the Atari :lol: Easier than using network (which was my previous choice).

spiny wrote:I have a satandisk 2 on order whcih does the hot swap bit, but to convert the floppy drive to some kind of solid state storage device would be brilliant. Basically I'd like the equivalent of the pc 'boot from usb key' - quiet, bigger and no moving parts.

Hot swap is not the pressing issue here, for me it is that the floppy drive can die and floppy drive is essential. Before you can setup Satan disk, you need to load the drivers -- and the only way is via floppy drive. Then you set you Satandisk to autoboot.

So for me, floppy drive is essential.

There are tons of USB floppy replacement out there... just search the forum here and you will see. Also ask dr. google.
My Stuff: Falcon CT63+CTPCI ATI R7500 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD EtherNEC/ FB/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby spiny » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:20 pm

wongck wrote:
spiny wrote:hmmm, even that 'small' would probably be worth it to me - assuming it would be 'hot swappable' like a floppy disk is, then it would mean a very easy way to copy files from a pc to an atari - once on the 'floppy' I could then transfer them to my satandisk.

There many ways to transfer files between PC & Atari, including the SD card which is my favorite way now -- because you can also pop it into a camera and get some pics into the Atari :lol: Easier than using network (which was my previous choice).

spiny wrote:I have a satandisk 2 on order whcih does the hot swap bit, but to convert the floppy drive to some kind of solid state storage device would be brilliant. Basically I'd like the equivalent of the pc 'boot from usb key' - quiet, bigger and no moving parts.

Hot swap is not the pressing issue here, for me it is that the floppy drive can die and floppy drive is essential. Before you can setup Satan disk, you need to load the drivers -- and the only way is via floppy drive. Then you set you Satandisk to autoboot.

So for me, floppy drive is essential.

There are tons of USB floppy replacement out there... just search the forum here and you will see. Also ask dr. google.

I would like to remove my floppy drive, then plug in a device that takes some kind of memory card.

I would also like the atari to behave in exactly the same way it did with a floppy disk, eg to look at 'drive a' when booting

where 'drive a' is a memory card.
spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby wongck » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:09 pm

spiny wrote:I would like to remove my floppy drive, then plug in a device that takes some kind of memory card.
I would also like the atari to behave in exactly the same way it did with a floppy disk, eg to look at 'drive a' when booting
where 'drive a' is a memory card.

Yes, I have also been looking for something like this. But it is expensive -- USD$100 is what i found, but there was once on ebay something similar that was cheaper. All these uses USB stick. But a simple USB card read should be able to convert a memory card/SD.

I think Simbo is also looking into making one at this in this topic THE FLOPPY DRIVES MUST GO TOPIC !!! HOW TO GET RID OF IT ?
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby mikro » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:31 pm

To make things a little bit interesting, I and "some" other developer :) are seriously considering ST/Falcon counterpart to this: http://raster.infos.cz/atari/hw/sdrive/sdriveen.htm

The initial idea is to support all ST and Amiga formats, i.e. it should be usable on both machines. Prize as always -- lower than your knees ;-)

But it will take some (10 months at least) time, though.
mikro
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Jeff_HxC2001 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:39 pm

mikro wrote:To make things a little bit interesting, I and "some" other developer :) are seriously considering ST/Falcon counterpart to this: http://raster.infos.cz/atari/hw/sdrive/sdriveen.htm

The initial idea is to support all ST and Amiga formats, i.e. it should be usable on both machines. Prize as always -- lower than your knees ;-)

The price will be lower than this one ?:

http://cgi.ebay.ie/3-5-1-44MB-USB-SSD-F ... 286.c0.m14

3.5" 1.44MB USB SSD FLOPPY DRIVE EMULATOR - ~20euros.

;-)
Jeff_HxC2001
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby spiny » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:01 pm

Jeff_HxC2001 wrote:
mikro wrote:To make things a little bit interesting, I and "some" other developer :) are seriously considering ST/Falcon counterpart to this: http://raster.infos.cz/atari/hw/sdrive/sdriveen.htm

;-)

that is -exactly- what I want :D

but will it work in my atari ? I guess i'll just buy one and find out :)
spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby Jeff_HxC2001 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:08 pm

spiny wrote:
Jeff_HxC2001 wrote:

;-)

that is -exactly- what I want :D

If you use 720KB (2 sides, 9sectors/tracks, 80 tracks -> TOS default format) or 1.44MB (2 sides, 18sectors/tracks, 80 tracks) floppy disk format, this should works without problem.

For others format (10sectors/tracks and 11 sectors/tracks, more than 80tracks...) i don't know.
Jeff_HxC2001
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby wongck » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:26 pm

Jeff_HxC2001 wrote:http://cgi.ebay.ie/3-5-1-44MB-USB-SSD-F ... 286.c0.m14

That's the one I am talking about & discussed in another topic.
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:36 pm

spiny wrote:that is -exactly- what I want :D

It will work on the Atari for sure because these are replacing not only computers but also for keyboards and other musical instruments.
I would get one but am waiting for a better deal.
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Next

Return to HxC Floppy Emulator