Building HxCFloppyEmulator on Linux

Everything related to using the HxC Floppy Emulator hardware on your Atari.

Moderators: mr.vince, DrCoolZic, Moderator Team

Gunstick
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Building HxCFloppyEmulator on Linux

Postby Gunstick » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:40 am

Hi

this is initially tested on a debian based, linux 64bit system. Based on this http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1390 with quite some additions by me.

Code: Select all

# prepare your linux
sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r) libncurses5-dev libx11-dev subversion

# get HxC
svn checkout svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/hxcfloppyemu/code/ hxcfloppyemu-code
# patch the source code
sed -i 's/-lX11/-lX11 -lXext -lXfixes/' hxcfloppyemu-code/HxCFloppyEmulator/HxCFloppyEmulator_software/trunk/build/Makefile

# get FLT
svn --no-auth-cache --username="" --password="" \
   checkout http://seriss.com/public/fltk/fltk/branches/branch-1.3/ fltk-1.3   # http://www.fltk.org/software.php#SVN
cp -pr fltk-1.3/* hxcfloppyemu-code/HxCFloppyEmulator/HxCFloppyEmulator_software/trunk/sources/thirdpartylibs/fltk/fltk-1.3.x/

# build
cd hxcfloppyemu-code/HxCFloppyEmulator/build/
make 

# create usable callers
cat > hxcfe.sh <<"EOF"
#!/bin/bash
cd "$(dirname "$0")"
exec ./hxcfe "$@"
EOF
chmod 755 hxcfe.sh

cat > hxcfloppyemulator.sh <<"EOF"
#!/bin/bash
cd "$(dirname "$0")"
exec ./hxcfloppyemulator "$@"
EOF
chmod 755 hxcfloppyemulator.sh

You can now call hxcfe.sh and hxcfloppyemulator.sh from anywhere without changing to the build directory first.

Gunstick
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Building HxCFloppyEmulator on Linux

Postby Gunstick » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:51 am

Usage Gui:

Usual problem besides converting an MSA or ST to HXC is to quickly get a program to the ST

call hxcfloppyemulator.sh

click on "Disk Browser"

in new window, click on Create Disk

surprise, "get files" does not let you chose files. But drag/drop works.
so open a file browser. I used nautilus (gnome default) and dragged my *.TOS files over.

when floppy image is as you like, click on "save/export" (you can directly write to the SD card if you insert it before)

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:27 pm

You don't need Bash, if you use standard Posix shell string operations. This (untested) script can be used both as hxcfe.sh & hxcfloppyemulator.sh:

#!/bin/sh
cd "${0%/*}"
exec "${0%.sh}" "$@"

Jeff_HxC2001
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Jeff_HxC2001 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:33 am

Gunstick wrote:surprise, "get files" does not let you chose files. But drag/drop works.
so open a file browser. I used nautilus (gnome default) and dragged my *.TOS files over.

when floppy image is as you like, click on "save/export" (you can directly write to the SD card if you insert it before)

Not a surprise : Get files is used to extract files from the image, not to add files to the image :wink:.

BTW On Linux Mint i don't have to modify the Makefile. Why do you need to do this ?

Gunstick
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Gunstick » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:54 pm

Jeff_HxC2001 wrote:
BTW On Linux Mint i don't have to modify the Makefile. Why do you need to do this ?

Because else it's not compiling the GUI.
When linking, I get errors like
undefined reference to `XFixesQueryExtension' -
undefined reference to `XdbeQueryExtension'

And google says that those are defined in separate libraries :-)
I also use linux mint, but it's LMDE1 and bloody updates don't work anymore. I will go to xubuntu.

$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:   LinuxMint
Description:   LMDE Cinnamon Edition
Release:   1
Codename:   debian

Gunstick
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Gunstick » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:56 pm

Eero Tamminen wrote:You don't need Bash, if you use standard Posix shell string operations. This (untested) script can be used both as hxcfe.sh & hxcfloppyemulator.sh:

#!/bin/sh
cd "${0%/*}"
exec "${0%.sh}" "$@"

Yeah I know, I was just too lazy to make it generic. Falling back to 1980 mode. In that sense it's compatible with old school Atari spirit, haha.

Gunstick
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Gunstick » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:52 pm

This thread should feature a command line example how to convert an ST or MSA file to HFE.

I searched for this info here and only found my own thead how to build the software, but not how to use the command line.
The moment I know again, I will put that here.

leech
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby leech » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:07 pm

Hmm, this no longer builds under Debian Stretch.

g++ -o hxcfloppyemulator    main.o utils.o main_gui.o msg_txt.o about_gui.o batch_converter_window.o floppy_dump_window.o floppy_infos_window.o license_gui.o log.o rawfile_loader_window.o sdhxcfecfg_window.o usbhxcfecfg_window.o cb_batch_converter_window.o cb_floppy_dump_window.o cb_floppy_infos_window.o cb_rawfile_loader_window.o cb_sdhxcfecfg_window.o cb_usbhxcfecfg_window.o cb_filesystem_generator_window.o filesystem_generator_window.o cb_edittool_window.o edittool_window.o microintro.o lzw.o pack.o rle.o hxcmod.o loader.o soft_cfg_file.o fileselector.o ../sources/thirdpartylibs/fltk/fltk-1.3.x/lib/libfltk.a ../sources/thirdpartylibs/fltk/fltk-1.3.x/lib/libfltk_images.a libhxcfe.so libusbhxcfe.so ../../../build/libhxcadaptor.a -lc -lm -ldl -lpthread -s -Wl,-rpath=.  -Wl,-Map,foo.map -lX11 -lXext -lXfixes -lXext -lXfixes
../sources/thirdpartylibs/fltk/fltk-1.3.x/lib/libfltk.a(fl_font.o): In function `utf8extents(Fl_Font_Descriptor*, char const*, int, _XGlyphInfo*) [clone .isra.0]':
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZL11utf8extentsP18Fl_Font_DescriptorPKciP11_XGlyphInfo.isra.0+0x45): undefined reference to `XftTextExtents32'
../sources/thirdpartylibs/fltk/fltk-1.3.x/lib/libfltk.a(fl_font.o): In function `Fl_Font_Descriptor::Fl_Font_Descriptor(char const*, int, int)':
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZN18Fl_Font_DescriptorC2EPKcii+0x87): undefined reference to `FcPatternCreate'
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZN18Fl_Font_DescriptorC2EPKcii+0x129): undefined reference to `FcPatternAddString'
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZN18Fl_Font_DescriptorC2EPKcii+0x189): undefined reference to `FcPatternAddString'
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZN18Fl_Font_DescriptorC2EPKcii+0x1a0): undefined reference to `FcPatternAddInteger'
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZN18Fl_Font_DescriptorC2EPKcii+0x1b2): undefined reference to `FcPatternAddInteger'
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZN18Fl_Font_DescriptorC2EPKcii+0x1d0): undefined reference to `FcPatternAddDouble'
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZN18Fl_Font_DescriptorC2EPKcii+0x1e6): undefined reference to `FcPatternAddString'
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZN18Fl_Font_DescriptorC2EPKcii+0x244): undefined reference to `FcMatrixRotate'
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZN18Fl_Font_DescriptorC2EPKcii+0x256): undefined reference to `FcPatternAddMatrix'
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZN18Fl_Font_DescriptorC2EPKcii+0x270): undefined reference to `XftFontMatch'
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZN18Fl_Font_DescriptorC2EPKcii+0x287): undefined reference to `XftFontOpenPattern'
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZN18Fl_Font_DescriptorC2EPKcii+0x2cc): undefined reference to `XftFontOpen'
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZN18Fl_Font_DescriptorC2EPKcii+0x2d7): undefined reference to `FcPatternDestroy'
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZN18Fl_Font_DescriptorC2EPKcii+0x2ff): undefined reference to `FcPatternDestroy'
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZN18Fl_Font_DescriptorC2EPKcii+0x336): undefined reference to `XftFontOpenXlfd'
../sources/thirdpartylibs/fltk/fltk-1.3.x/lib/libfltk.a(fl_font.o): In function `Fl_Xlib_Graphics_Driver::width(unsigned int)':
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZN23Fl_Xlib_Graphics_Driver5widthEj+0x37): undefined reference to `XftTextExtents32'
../sources/thirdpartylibs/fltk/fltk-1.3.x/lib/libfltk.a(fl_font.o): In function `fl_destroy_xft_draw(unsigned long)':
fl_font.cxx:(.text._Z19fl_destroy_xft_drawm+0x1f): undefined reference to `XftDrawChange'
../sources/thirdpartylibs/fltk/fltk-1.3.x/lib/libfltk.a(fl_font.o): In function `Fl_Xlib_Graphics_Driver::draw(char const*, int, int, int)':
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZN23Fl_Xlib_Graphics_Driver4drawEPKciii+0x69): undefined reference to `XftDrawCreate'
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZN23Fl_Xlib_Graphics_Driver4drawEPKciii+0x7e): undefined reference to `XftDrawChange'
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZN23Fl_Xlib_Graphics_Driver4drawEPKciii+0xb1): undefined reference to `XftDrawSetClip'
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZN23Fl_Xlib_Graphics_Driver4drawEPKciii+0x143): undefined reference to `XftDrawString32'
../sources/thirdpartylibs/fltk/fltk-1.3.x/lib/libfltk.a(fl_font.o): In function `Fl_Xlib_Graphics_Driver::rtl_draw(char const*, int, int, int)':
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZN23Fl_Xlib_Graphics_Driver8rtl_drawEPKciii+0x48): undefined reference to `FcUtf8Len'
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZN23Fl_Xlib_Graphics_Driver8rtl_drawEPKciii+0xb2): undefined reference to `FcUtf8ToUcs4'
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZN23Fl_Xlib_Graphics_Driver8rtl_drawEPKciii+0xfa): undefined reference to `XftTextExtents32'
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZN23Fl_Xlib_Graphics_Driver8rtl_drawEPKciii+0x13f): undefined reference to `XftDrawCreate'
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZN23Fl_Xlib_Graphics_Driver8rtl_drawEPKciii+0x154): undefined reference to `XftDrawChange'
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZN23Fl_Xlib_Graphics_Driver8rtl_drawEPKciii+0x190): undefined reference to `XftDrawSetClip'
fl_font.cxx:(.text._ZN23Fl_Xlib_Graphics_Driver8rtl_drawEPKciii+0x21f): undefined reference to `XftDrawString32'
../sources/thirdpartylibs/fltk/fltk-1.3.x/lib/libfltk.a(Fl_Double_Window.o): In function `Fl_Xlib_Graphics_Driver::copy_offscreen_with_alpha(int, int, int, int, unsigned long, int, int)':
Fl_Double_Window.cxx:(.text._ZN23Fl_Xlib_Graphics_Driver25copy_offscreen_with_alphaEiiiimii+0x52): undefined reference to `XRenderFindStandardFormat'
Fl_Double_Window.cxx:(.text._ZN23Fl_Xlib_Graphics_Driver25copy_offscreen_with_alphaEiiiimii+0x90): undefined reference to `XRenderFindStandardFormat'
Fl_Double_Window.cxx:(.text._ZN23Fl_Xlib_Graphics_Driver25copy_offscreen_with_alphaEiiiimii+0xbe): undefined reference to `XRenderCreatePicture'
Fl_Double_Window.cxx:(.text._ZN23Fl_Xlib_Graphics_Driver25copy_offscreen_with_alphaEiiiimii+0xe0): undefined reference to `XRenderCreatePicture'
Fl_Double_Window.cxx:(.text._ZN23Fl_Xlib_Graphics_Driver25copy_offscreen_with_alphaEiiiimii+0x12d): undefined reference to `XRenderSetPictureClipRegion'
Fl_Double_Window.cxx:(.text._ZN23Fl_Xlib_Graphics_Driver25copy_offscreen_with_alphaEiiiimii+0x166): undefined reference to `XRenderComposite'
Fl_Double_Window.cxx:(.text._ZN23Fl_Xlib_Graphics_Driver25copy_offscreen_with_alphaEiiiimii+0x179): undefined reference to `XRenderFreePicture'
Fl_Double_Window.cxx:(.text._ZN23Fl_Xlib_Graphics_Driver25copy_offscreen_with_alphaEiiiimii+0x188): undefined reference to `XRenderFreePicture'
../sources/thirdpartylibs/fltk/fltk-1.3.x/lib/libfltk.a(Fl_x.o): In function `Fl_X::xrender_supported()':
Fl_x.cxx:(.text._ZN4Fl_X17xrender_supportedEv+0x24): undefined reference to `XRenderQueryExtension'
../sources/thirdpartylibs/fltk/fltk-1.3.x/lib/libfltk.a(Fl_x.o): In function `Fl_X::set_cursor(Fl_RGB_Image const*, int, int)':
Fl_x.cxx:(.text._ZN4Fl_X10set_cursorEPK12Fl_RGB_Imageii+0x3b): undefined reference to `XcursorImageCreate'
Fl_x.cxx:(.text._ZN4Fl_X10set_cursorEPK12Fl_RGB_Imageii+0x137): undefined reference to `XcursorImageLoadCursor'
Fl_x.cxx:(.text._ZN4Fl_X10set_cursorEPK12Fl_RGB_Imageii+0x164): undefined reference to `XcursorImageDestroy'
../sources/thirdpartylibs/fltk/fltk-1.3.x/lib/libfltk.a(screen_xywh.o): In function `screen_init()':
screen_xywh.cxx:(.text._ZL11screen_initv+0xf2): undefined reference to `XineramaIsActive'
screen_xywh.cxx:(.text._ZL11screen_initv+0x119): undefined reference to `XineramaQueryScreens'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Makefile:59: recipe for target 'hxcfloppyemulator' failed
make[1]: *** [hxcfloppyemulator] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/jfergus/Documents/Development/hxcfloppyemu-code/HxCFloppyEmulator/HxCFloppyEmulator_software/trunk/build'
Makefile:11: recipe for target '../HxCFloppyEmulator_software/trunk/build/' failed
make: *** [../HxCFloppyEmulator_software/trunk/build/] Error 2

Social Media

Return to “HxC Floppy Emulator”