My honest review

All discussions about the Atari 8bit range of machines.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

My honest review

Postby Retrogamer_ST » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:00 pm

On this thread we post a small review of a game, or compare a game on different platforms to see what differs. But remember, always be honest.

A honest review after playing all three versions on Altirra, Hatari and VICE to be able to compare them side by side.

Warhawk

Atari 800

Top notch shooter with great sound effects and intense gameplay, perhaps the best vertical scrolling shooter on A8. This shooter practically exploding of action. Great graphics for an 8bit shooter that are very polished and well made. Besides that this game has a good soundtrack by Rob Hubbard.

C64

Feels pretty lame in comparison to the A8 version, less good sound effects but a good soundtrack. The graphics isn't as polished as in the A8 version where even the ship uses a nice effect when shooting.

Atari ST

Feels very lame and slow compared to the A8 version, even the C64 seems to be on turbo compared to this version. Just about everything is terrible slow and the sound effects less good. Like in the C64 version the soundtrack is good in this version too. The graphics is high res compared to the A8 and C64 versions but lack the polish of the A8 version. In this case it seems to be a bad conversion of the game that could be much better performed on the ST.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Retrogamer_ST
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: My honest review

Postby Retrogamer_ST » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:01 pm

I can add to my review after searching the net afterwards. ST Action gave Warhawk the score 44%. Normally 60% in that magazine means that a game stinks.
Retrogamer_ST
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Retrogamer_ST » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:25 am

Boulder Dash

Atari 800

This version plays like a dream. Smooth scrolling, great sound and graphics to match makes this a must for every A8 owner or emulator gamer. Practically the game that A8 was built for. One of the best games ever for any machine and even after 28 years this feels like true quality. >> Score 100% <<

C64

Boulder Dash on C64 plays very well too and feels similar to the A8 version but misses some of the great graphics from the Atari version. The sound is unfortanly (and a bit surprisingly) less good in this version. Else it's a top noth game that every C64 owner should get, very similar to the A8 version in the whole but lacks the extra eye candy and some of the sound from the A8 version. >> Score 95% <<

ZX Spectrum

Pheeew, this version is terrible compared to the A8 and C64 version of the game. Slow and choppy scrolling ruins most of the fun and a feeling of being dizzy by choppy slow graphics is there after 5 levels. The graphics is far from both the A8 and C64 version. The sound is as terrible and not a sign of mighty explosions or rocks landing. A big disapointment if you have played the other two versions. >> Score 32% <<

Atari ST (BDCK)

Way better then the ZX spectrum version in just about everything, but sadly not up there with the A8 and C64 versions of the game thanks to a bit more choppy scrolling, less good sound effects and graphics that lack the true feeling of Boulder Dash. Instead of the glimmering beautiful graphics found in the A8 version you get a plastic feeling that really isn't Boulder Dash. This conversion could have been done a lot better. It's playable, yes, the unexprienced Boulder Dash player will certanly like it but for the Boulder Dash freak it's too far from what's Boulder Dash. >> Score 72% <<

Nintendo Gameboy

Surprisingly good conversion for being on Gameboy. Monochrome screen means no colours and the beautiful effects found in both the A8 and C64 versions simply isn't there. The playing area is smaller too thanks to that things being magnified because of Gameboy's small screen which ruins some of the orginal gameplay. The sound isn't up to par either. The best thing is that surprisingly much of the orginal gameplay still is intact, this really feels "Boulder Dash" when playing, but a bit limited. >> Score 85% <<

Review by

//Retrogamer_ST
Retrogamer_ST
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby wongck » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:39 pm

Edit: deleted... as mine was a coment not a review.. sorry.
My Stuff: Falcon CT63+CTPCI ATI R7500 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD EtherNEC/ FB/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Retrogamer_ST » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:56 pm

I add a review of the Nintendo NES version of Boulder Dash

Nintendo NES

I had expected a lot more from the NES version. This version isn't even close to any of the Atari 800 or C64 versions of Boulder Dash. Even the Gameboy version seems like the real thing compared to this. Okey, the scrolling is smooth but anything else feels out of place and gives you a plastic feeling of something that could have been much better converted. This version of Boulder Dash feels similar to the Atari ST PD game Pothole II and a long way from what's Boulder Dash.

>> Score 30% <<
Retrogamer_ST
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Retrogamer_ST » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:09 pm

Another version added to my review of Boulder Dash

Gameboy Advance

This version suffers from the same problem as the NES version and just about nothing of Boulder Dash is there. A cute storyline, plenty of game options but nothing of Boulder Dash is there and about 98% of what's Boulder Dash is missing. Instead of heavy falling rocks you get something that rather floats down in true Atari ST Pothole II style and graphics with no depth or beauty. Don't mention the crappy sound.

>> Score 28% <<
Retrogamer_ST
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Klaxer » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:00 pm

In 2011 I've seen Boulder Dash 25th Anniversary Edition in Appstore. Made by Chillingo. Looks great and even contains C-64 graphics but gameplay is fu*king hell. Jammed by sensor-controlling:

http://youtu.be/Bjje8iELfNU

Rockford in this adaptation moving as pregnant cow. :mrgreen:

Retrogamer_ST, have You seen Robbo on A8? :)
Klaxer
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Retrogamer_ST » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:27 pm

Off course, i collect all the "Robbo" games from Fandal, Homesoft and Atarimania. ;)

Homesoft
http://www.mushca.com/f/atari/
Atari Mania
http://www.atarimania.com
Fandal
http://atari.fandal.cz/index.php

Robbo shares a lot of similarities with Boulder Dash, which is a good thing.

When i bought my ST i looked for a good Boulder Dash game, then came this...

The worst Boulder Dash i have played by far, totally unplayable. Probably a fanmade version for the ST that was TERRIBLE BAD. So BAD that even Flintstones looked awesome on the ST. :D
http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st ... 20923.html

I still collect every new Boulder Dash game or Robbo game released for Atari 800. ;)
Retrogamer_ST
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Return to The Atari 8bit corner