Have I wasted my money? Any advice on getting an NTSC 400 to run in the UK gratefully received!

All discussions about the Atari 8bit range of machines.

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

Mulbin
Atarian
Atarian

Have I wasted my money? Any advice on getting an NTSC 400 to run in the UK gratefully received!

Postby Mulbin » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:40 pm

OK, so I foolishly thought it would be fairly simple to get an NTSC 400 to run over here, boy was I wrong!

While it's true modern TVs will accept ntsc via scart or A/V, Atari 400s ONLY have RF out, and there's no way a UK tv can be tuned to an analogue ntsc signal.

So here are a few solutions, and the reason they are no-go...

1. Solution - Buy a box to convert analogue ntsc to pal, and plug it right into the rf socket.
Problem - they cost hundreds of pounds... better off putting the atari in the bin.

2. Soution - Use a VHS recorder to convert to RF to scart.
Problem - I would need to find one that accepts ntsc RF input, does such a think exist in the UK? (not shipping any more junk from the US!).

3 Solution - mod the 400 either to change it to a pal model, or to give it A/V output
Problem - I've not seen anywhere selling a mod, and it's probably beyond my ability.

So if anyone has any experience/solutions I'd be grateful. The Atari only cost my £35... but once you add shipping and customs I'm out of pocket £75 for an atari that I can't plug into anything. It powers up, and keyboard "clicks" so I'm fairly sure it's functional.

oraclejedi
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Have I wasted my money? Any advice on getting an NTSC 400 to run in the UK gratefully received!

Postby oraclejedi » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:40 pm

The electronicsentimentalities site sells an Atari 5200/800 SVideo mod that will work in your 400 but you will need some soldering skills to install it.

If they are still available, check on AtariAge for the UAV mod which is a plug-in board for the 400 that will also give you composite and svideo output.

The AtariAge site has also had some discussions on other Atari 400 composite and s-video mods that would give you an output you could then feed into most European monitors that can handle an NTSC composite or svideo signal. I adapted a Retrokidz 5200 SVideo board to a 400 some years back, but those boards are no longer available.

Once you've got the video sorted, you will want to add a 48K RAM board too.

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Have I wasted my money? Any advice on getting an NTSC 400 to run in the UK gratefully received!

Postby EmpireAndrew » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:04 pm

It's possible to convert the 400 to output composite.
As it only cost you 35 sovs you may as well try it and it's useless to you as it is anyway.

You may have to Google a bit but it seems people have managed it:
http://atariage.com/forums/topic/209136 ... 400/page-3
1977 VCS Heavy Sixxer (Boxed)
1990 Atari 1040STE, 4MB, UltraSatan, TOS 2.06, TT Touch -> Atari SC1435 Colour CRT Monitor
1991 Atari TT030, 2/16MB, Int 8GB Gigafile SCSI2CF, TOS 3.06, CaTTamaran Accelerator -> Atari TTM195 19" Mono CRT Monitor
1993 Atari Falcon030, 14MB, Int 4GB IDE2SD, TOS 4.04 -> Atari PTC1426 Color CRT Monitor
Amiga, Mac, DOS, Newton, SGI, Sun, NeXTStation and more!

spacedmonkeys
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby spacedmonkeys » Thu May 04, 2017 12:14 pm

Hey... I have a solution... philips av7300 if you can find one... I have one that might be tempted to sell :)

see this: http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 766694fafd

Social Media

Return to “The Atari 8bit corner”