After the War kryoflux dump

Post all your Kryoflux related topics in here. From questions about the hardware through to disks you've managed to image up and, probably most importantly, write back without any problems :)

Moderators: DrCoolZic, mr.vince, Moderator Team

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

After the War kryoflux dump

Postby Stefan jL » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:56 pm

I am no expert in kryoflux dumps so i wonder if the following dump is good? This dump is not from my copy of After the War.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7wn8v1bkmwg8cj9/After%20the%20War.zip?dl=0

I checked it in Aufit and it looks to be in same condition as my copy of ATW and Dlfsilver said my copy had graphics error on later levels... i never checked that out myself though.

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Re: After the War kryoflux dump

Postby dlfrsilver » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:49 am

will check it tonight :)
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:05 am

With little luck it is possible to combine 2 dumps, and getting flawless image. Of course, if errors are not on same locations.
Negative feedback has usually positive effect.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:33 am

Stefan jL wrote:I am no expert in kryoflux dumps so i wonder if the following dump is good? This dump is not from my copy of After the War.
I checked it in Aufit and it looks to be in same condition as my copy of ATW and Dlfsilver said my copy had graphics error on later levels... i never checked that out myself though.

Where is your dump? It is always very useful to have multiple copies to compare.

Anybody has a Pasti image (not converted from these)?

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:40 pm

I made my ATW copies using SCPro... it is here: after_the_war_atarist_SCP.7z

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:04 pm

That's a tough release ...

Because of the way the disk was duplicated and protected, it is very difficult to be certain if the disk is 100% ok and it's not damaged or modified. No idea if there is a problem at later levels, but both dumps seem to be equivalent. Would be interesting if somebody good with this game would give both dumps a try.

In addition, the code that checks the copy protection is buggy. It works almost by pure luck and challenges emulation.

How you end the first phase when you kill all the bad guys???

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:51 pm

Hi
I converted the kryoflux raw files to a plain CTR file to use it under Hatari, and the game worked well (but I didn't play too long).
What part is challenging emulation ? Is this some tight FDC timings or some cpu prefetching/self modified code ?

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:38 pm

I used Stefan's SCP image as source: repacked all files with better packer. Did not see any strange things during depacking, so it is most likely good image.
But game self is not well coded, there are even some silly bugs.
Sometimes it just starts, but no player appears - happens in part 1.
Stoopid bug in original - it loads music only if there is more than 512KB RAM in machine - because they put there RAM size test instead of test for readability of side B of floppy. Music loads in low 512KB in any case :D

I made floppy and hard disk versions, with fixes, unlimited lives options:
http://atari.8bitchip.info/TestMe/AFTWFLO.ZIP
http://atari.8bitchip.info/TestMe/AFTERTW.ZIP
Tested on TOS 1.00-2.06 . Would be good to play thoroughly - that would confirm is SCP image really flawless.

Steven Seagal
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Steven Seagal » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:44 pm

Doesn't seem to be a "1 VBL" game... :mrgreen:

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:45 pm

npomarede wrote:What part is challenging emulation ? Is this some tight FDC timings or some cpu prefetching/self modified code ?

FDC emulation. The code reads the copy protected track (79), then it counts how many bytes were read to check the track length. But there is a bug, and instead of waiting until the FDC completes the command, they deselect the drive! So the check there fails because nothing was read yet (most of the time the FDC would still be waiting for the index). The code then retries twice (they obviously found out that otherwise it fails, just didn't realize why) performing exactly the same buggy procedure. But the second time it works, not when issuing the read track command a second time, but when they issue a restore/seek sequence. The FDC is already at an advanced stage with the read track command so that it ignores new writes to the command register. They there, after the restore and reseek, do wait for FDC completion. So the FDC completes actually the read track command.

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:41 pm

AtariZoll wrote:I used Stefan's SCP image as source: repacked all files with better packer. Did not see any strange things during depacking, so it is most likely good image.
Stoopid bug in original - it loads music only if there is more than 512KB RAM in machine - because they put there RAM size test instead of test for readability of side B of floppy. Music loads in low 512KB in any case :D

Tested on TOS 1.00-2.06 . Would be good to play thoroughly - that would confirm is SCP image really flawless.

Ok, it's my turn now. I have check Stefan's dump. Disk A is perfect, nothing more to say. The copy protection is the same as used on Astro Marine Corps.
But i see that tracks 82 and 83 are also protected, quite nicely too.

Concerning side B, it's only made for single sided Atari ST machines. an STF or STE with double sided drive will only use disk 1.
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:43 pm

Stefan jL wrote:I am no expert in kryoflux dumps so i wonder if the following dump is good? This dump is not from my copy of After the War.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7wn8v1bkmwg8cj9/After%20the%20War.zip?dl=0

Stefan, can you please redump disk B track 23.0 please ? I have a doubt on the current track.

Thanks. I'll go playtest the game :)

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:01 pm

Steven Seagal wrote:Doesn't seem to be a "1 VBL" game... :mrgreen:

Steve, i need to use ALT key on my PC keyboard, but the character crouch.... i can't do the ALT+1+M invincibilty cheat mode :(

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:15 pm

ijor wrote:
npomarede wrote:What part is challenging emulation ? Is this some tight FDC timings or some cpu prefetching/self modified code ?

FDC emulation. The code reads the copy protected track (79), then it counts how many bytes were read to check the track length. But there is a bug, and instead of waiting until the FDC completes the command, they deselect the drive! So the check there fails because nothing was read yet (most of the time the FDC would still be waiting for the index). The code then retries twice (they obviously found out that otherwise it fails, just didn't realize why) performing exactly the same buggy procedure. But the second time it works, not when issuing the read track command a second time, but when they issue a restore/seek sequence. The FDC is already at an advanced stage with the read track command so that it ignores new writes to the command register. They there, after the restore and reseek, do wait for FDC completion. So the FDC completes actually the read track command.

This game uses the usual Fuzzy Sector/weak Sector protection track. Such track needs to be read more than 1 times (in your count, 3 times).

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:54 pm

dlfrsilver wrote:Stefan, can you please redump disk B track 23.0 please ? I have a doubt on the current track.

I was not clear enough in my first post... the dump was not from my copy of ATW and also not by me, i have no Kryoflux device :) This dump was sent as a contribution to be added to the Atarimania entry of ATW and as i knew there have been problem with ATW so i thought i try and post it here... and it seem a lot can be discussed about ATW judging by the analysis made by you, ijor and Atarizoll. I hope this is not a Mastertronic Rogue situation where there is no good ATW copy available?

I will ask for a redump of disk 2 from the contributer.

AtariZoll wrote:I used Stefan's SCP image as source: repacked all files with better packer. Did not see any strange things during depacking, so it is most likely good image.

If i understand correctly so does this mean that the actual data is intact and if there is any problem so is the unstable copy protection and some bugs the cause?

Sometimes so does games only play digital music if 1mb is available, the bug with no player never appear in part 1 has never happened to me... although there is another thing that do happen a lot and could be a bug and that is if you play the game with 512kb so does it crash after you have walked the character 1 or 2 screens to the right (only tested in SteemSSE though) changing to 1mb setup and the game does not crash anymore, this happen with the Kryoflux copy and my SCP copy but it does not happen with the version of ATW that is part of the Magnum compilation: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st-magnum-the-compilation_21214.html
Is that version bugfixed? or is the copy protection removed?

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:05 am

dlfrsilver wrote:This game uses the usual Fuzzy Sector/weak Sector protection track. Such track needs to be read more than 1 times (in your count, 3 times).

Not at all. There are no weak sectors here and the track is read just once.

The copy protected track, track 79, has many sectors. All the protection check does it to perform a read track, verify the length is in the expected range, and checks for the sector headers being present as they are supposed to be. That's all.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:09 am

Stefan jL wrote:I will ask for a redump of disk 2 from the contributer.

You might if you want, but not sure it's necessary. The data on both dumps match.

... although there is another thing that do happen a lot and could be a bug and that is if you play the game with 512kb so does it crash after you have walked the character 1 or 2 screens to the right (only tested in SteemSSE though) changing to 1mb setup and the game does not crash anymore, this happen with the Kryoflux copy and my SCP copy but it does not happen with the version of ATW that is part of the Magnum compilation: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-st-magnum-the-compilation_21214.html
Is that version bugfixed? or is the copy protection removed?

That's interesting. But yes, the protection was removed. The copy protected track in this compilation release is blank. It is still read and the protection check, as expected, fails. But contrary to the retail release, the result seems to be ignored later.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:10 am

I did not know about Magnum compilation, and that this game is part of it.
I grabbed STX images and did some comparisons: (note: those who constantly claim incorrect things here pls. listen - I spent several hours with this, so please spare us from shallow opinions) :
Disk B is 100% same in both dumps, but that contains Part 1 of game actually. And it is single sided, (since it asks after selecting Part 1 to insert disk 2, always (simple thing, what only our SPS megaexpert can not see (and yes, I have double sided drive in Steem ! :megaphone: ).
Side B of disk 1 is same 100% in both dumps practically - the section containing data is it, other is irrelevant. It holds audio data for start, and silly bug is present in Magnum release too. Btw. it is 10 sectors/track, unlike other parts.
Disk 1, side A: I noticed removed protection check call, what Ijor mentioned. First stage of code what loads music and Part1 or 2 is same 100%.
Part1 main code is same except that removed call. Part 2 code is same.
And here comes what is different: plenty of files on disk 1, side A does not match - and they are files of Part 2. Graphic errors are visible right at start of Part 2, when start from Magnum compil. STX image. So, it is just not good. Should be replaced at AM.
At this point, only what can say is that need to play Part 2 thoroughly to be sure that SCP image is OK. Part 1 is OK fore sure, since 2 different dumps match.

P.S. I played Part 2 until end - it was pretty disappointing finish, so I checked Amiga longplay at YT - it differs that there is explosion of tank and some text. In ST v. just fade to gray and highscore. It took not much time (with cheat, of course), so I played Part 1 too until end - what was same poor finish.
All in all, game is average in best case. Only good part is graphic. Fire hit detection is really bad.
SCP dump is flawless, that is what can say now. Enjoy this game folks, if can :D

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:19 pm

i will check the ATW scp and STX by playing them a bit more.

Dlfrsilver: here is many Kryoflux dumps of track 23 :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2s3om3iomf9l0u6/Track23.zip?dl=0

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:38 pm

I have the Magnum compilation so i checked After the War from it and it shows graphics error in part 2, this probably means the compilation release of ATW has a factory error.
I found no graphics error from the klryoflux or my SCP dump of the original release but i never played the whole game.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:46 pm

Stefan jL wrote:I have the Magnum compilation so i checked After the War from it and it shows graphics error in part 2, this probably means the compilation release of ATW has a factory error.
I found no graphics error from the klryoflux or my SCP dump of the original release but i never played the whole game.

That's not much likely that is is factory error, but of course nothing is impossible here. More likely just disk in bad shape.
I played it little more - actually it finishes same as Amiga v. - with explosion and announcement of Astro Marine Corps. After finishing Part1, what has 3 stages it will show access code for Part2. I just did not see that time was out :D So adding unlimited time to cheat.

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:01 pm

Yes the disk might be in bad shape but this means both the Magnum dump on Atarimania and my copy of Magnum has the same error.
Anyone else with the Magnum compilation is very welcome to check if ATW has graphic errors on part 2... the code is "101069" :)

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:17 pm

Stefan jL wrote:Yes the disk might be in bad shape but this means both the Magnum dump on Atarimania and my copy of Magnum has the same error.
Anyone else with the Magnum compilation is very welcome to check if ATW has graphic errors on part 2... the code is "101069" :)

I can compare Magnum dumps byte by byte. Just don't see where to DL your dump of it.

Stefan jL
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Stefan jL » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:46 pm

I had not uploaded it anywhere yet but here it is: http://arcade.ym2149.com/files/scpro/magnum_ATW_SCP.7z

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:36 am

AtariZoll wrote:
Stefan jL wrote:I have the Magnum compilation so i checked After the War from it and it shows graphics error in part 2, this probably means the compilation release of ATW has a factory error.

That's not much likely that is is factory error, but of course nothing is impossible here. More likely just disk in bad shape.
I played it little more - actually it finishes same as Amiga v. - with explosion and announcement of Astro Marine Corps. After finishing Part1, what has 3 stages it will show access code for Part2. I just did not see that time was out :D So adding unlimited time to cheat.

No need, After The War has an inbuilt cheat mode. for stage 1: ALT+1+B stage 2 : ALT+1+M

each give invicibility.

Social Media

Return to “Kryoflux”