KICK OFF 2 + WORLD CUP 90

Post all your Kryoflux related topics in here. From questions about the hardware through to disks you've managed to image up and, probably most importantly, write back without any problems :)

Moderators: DrCoolZic, mr.vince, Moderator Team

Tronic
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

KICK OFF 2 + WORLD CUP 90

Postby Tronic » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:51 am

Hi all,

I have tried to image and write my copy of Kick off 2 + World Cup 90 using Kryoflux with no success.

I've used different drives, different disks, different computers but cannot get a copy of Kick Off 2 + World Cup 90 to duplicate.

Can anyone help? If anyone has a working image I can try, that would be good. I am also worried as to why this doesn't work too as I image all disks I get for preservation and for the community.

Atari 4Mb STE, Falcon 030 4Mb, Mega STE 4Mb, Atari 1Mb STFM, Atari 2.5Mb STFM, Atari 2Mb TT 030, UltraSatan, Satan Disk, BBC Micro B, Playstation 1, Amiga 600 and Amiga 1200.

Proud owner of http://www.ataristsales.com and http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Atari-Computer-Sales.
Atari ST demoscener active in Effect^Elite^Checkpoint as a coder and disk packer.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: KICK OFF 2 + WORLD CUP 90

Postby ijor » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:08 pm

Where is the (non working) image? It doesn't duplicate but it works under emulation? Or doesn't work at all?

And sorry for a silly question ... but you verified that the original disk works? Didn't you?

Tronic
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Tronic » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:01 pm

Hi - thanks for answering.

Yes, the original disk works. I have converted the RAW to STX in Aufit and loaded into Steem SSE 3.8.2 and the disk image DOES work.

However, when I write back to another disk (I have tried 4 disks - one being a disk that has not been formatted before), the game bombed out.

You can see the disk image here:-

http://www.johncove.co.uk/clients/KickO ... dCup90.zip

Thanks! :)
Atari 4Mb STE, Falcon 030 4Mb, Mega STE 4Mb, Atari 1Mb STFM, Atari 2.5Mb STFM, Atari 2Mb TT 030, UltraSatan, Satan Disk, BBC Micro B, Playstation 1, Amiga 600 and Amiga 1200.

Proud owner of http://www.ataristsales.com and http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Atari-Computer-Sales.
Atari ST demoscener active in Effect^Elite^Checkpoint as a coder and disk packer.

Tronic
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Tronic » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:08 pm

I've just written the image back to disk again and same error - reads about 3 tracks then I get the error, "Master file not present or damaged ERROR"...

Weird...

Tronic
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Tronic » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:18 pm

I've written back the disk that doesn't load in my Atari ST to a RAW image, converted to STX and loaded in Steem SSE 3.8.2 again....

The game doesn't load with the same error...

So, something is going wrong in the writing of the working RAW image to floppy disk.... I have just restored another game (Pirates!) and it works fine, so not quite sure what the problem is here.

2016-11-29_13h17_28.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kodak80
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby kodak80 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:32 pm

I get the same error when I dump the image back to disk as well.

It should be noted that the Kryoflux was originally designed for preservation and writing back is not guaranteed for all disk images. You could try reporting this issue on the Kryoflux forum and see if they can resolve it.
Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards
Admin of Atari ST Review Magazine Archive: http://www.ataristreview.com

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:46 pm

Tronic wrote:I've written back the disk that doesn't load in my Atari ST to a RAW image, converted to STX and loaded in Steem SSE 3.8.2 again....
The game doesn't load with the same error...

I will look at the original image later today. It will help if you can post that non-working image (made from the non working disk) as well.

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:21 pm

Tronic wrote:Hi - thanks for answering.

Yes, the original disk works. I have converted the RAW to STX in Aufit and loaded into Steem SSE 3.8.2 and the disk image DOES work.

However, when I write back to another disk (I have tried 4 disks - one being a disk that has not been formatted before), the game bombed out.

You can see the disk image here:-

http://www.johncove.co.uk/clients/KickO ... dCup90.zip

Thanks! :)

Tronic, i'll check your dumps :)
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:22 pm

kodak80 wrote:I get the same error when I dump the image back to disk as well.

It should be noted that the Kryoflux was originally designed for preservation and writing back is not guaranteed for all disk images. You could try reporting this issue on the Kryoflux forum and see if they can resolve it.

The writing back is garanteed for any disk images processed in IPF. Sometimes the dumps can be dirty, and this can lead to errors, errors making the written back disk failing.

EDIT : Ok, now i know why it fails ! All tracks in side 1 of the disk from track 44 to 79 are reported as noise ! This means something went wrong !

I'll work out now your KFraw dump.

EDIT2 : the KFraw dump seems to be bad (i need a dump from another disk) for the very same reason. Tracks 44 to 79 on side 1 are reported as noise. Your disk is either knackered or there is mould on it.

This game on Atari ST is using the "copylock Anco" from tracks 2 to 6 side 0.

EDIT3 : other than that, your disk is unmodified Tronic, and the temporary IPF i made works perfectly with steem 3.8.2
Now SPS France representative since the 19th of June 2014. Proud to be an SPS member !

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:21 pm

Tronic wrote:Yes, the original disk works. I have converted the RAW to STX in Aufit and loaded into Steem SSE 3.8.2 and the disk image DOES work.

This title has two issues that the Kryoflux software might not be able to handle at the RAW level. The copy protected tracks are not aligned with the index pulse, and then it has data under the index. And it has the so called NFA (no flux area), AKA strongbits. Probably the Kryoflux can write back the title after some preprocessing, not directly from the RAW dumps.

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:24 pm

dlfrsilver wrote:EDIT : Ok, now i know why it fails ! All tracks in side 1 of the disk from track 44 to 79 are reported as noise ! This means something went wrong !
Your disk is either knackered or there is mould on it.
EDIT3 : other than that, your disk is unmodified Tronic, and the temporary IPF i made works perfectly with steem 3.8.2

Sorry, but you are contradicting yourself. If something went bad and the dump is wrong, how it could work perfectly? Just because some tracks are unformatted doesn't necessarily mean the disk is damaged. They might be unused.

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:39 pm

This title has two issues that the Kryoflux software might not be able to handle at the RAW level.

This title has no problem. It's protected with 4 copylock tracks specific to Anco. This is your usual copylock protection, so nothing to worry about.

The copy protected tracks are not aligned with the index pulse, and then it has data under the index. And it has the so called NFA (no flux area), AKA strongbits. Probably the Kryoflux can write back the title after some preprocessing, not directly from the RAW dumps.

Well, let me try to write back on disk the temporary IPF i did from the dump, and i'll tell you if it works.

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:48 pm

Sorry, but you are contradicting yourself. If something went bad and the dump is wrong, how it could work perfectly? Just because some tracks are unformatted doesn't necessarily mean the disk is damaged. They might be unused.

Hello Ijor :) It's not contradicting. You can have all the good part of a disk unmodified and perfectly clean while having a part completely bad or incorrect.

For this very reason, i need a dump for somebody else (Kodak80, if you can upload on our share space your dump, i will then say if the disk is ok or not).

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:01 pm

OK : i have tested the temporary IPF, it bombs (4) on my 520 STE 4mb, but it works perfectly on my 1040STF. The kryoflux board wrote correctly the protection.

2016-11-29 16.55.34.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:07 pm

ijor wrote:
dlfrsilver wrote:EDIT : Ok, now i know why it fails ! All tracks in side 1 of the disk from track 44 to 79 are reported as noise ! This means something went wrong !
Your disk is either knackered or there is mould on it.

Look at the CTA picture : when i see this kind of thing, it's most of the time due to a disk error. But i can be wrong. In order to know if i am or not, i need another dump :)

KickOff2_analyze.jpg

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:19 pm

dlfrsilver wrote:This title has no problem. It's protected with 4 copylock tracks specific to Anco. This is your usual copylock protection, so nothing to worry about.

I didn't say there is something to worry about. I say that, probably, the Kryoflux software can't write back that protection directly from the RAW dumps. That it needs to be pre processed to some other format, like an IPF image. You just confirm what I have said. Some might consider this a problem, some might not.

And btw, this is not your "usual" copylock protection. I know you call it Copylock, but I don't think it is copylock at all.

Hello Ijor :) It's not contradicting. You can have all the good part of a disk unmodified and perfectly clean while having a part completely bad or incorrect.
when i see this kind of thing, it's most of the time due to a disk error

Yes, but in this case, it is not that just one part is clean. You said yourself the disk works perfectly, this can't happen if a part is completely damaged.

And yes, most of the time something like that it would be because of a bad dump. But not always.

Tronic
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Tronic » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:22 pm

Sorry, what do you need from me dlfrsilver?

Can I just say, the original disk does work on my Atari hardware and in Steem. When I write back the disk to a new disk (I've tried about 10 disks now with no success) it bombs on my STE and my STFM with the error I show in the above Steem screen grab.

Below you can download the image that doesn't work when I write back the image to disk using Kryoflux:-

http://www.johncove.co.uk/clients/KickO ... D-DEAD.zip

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:27 pm

I say that, probably, the Kryoflux software can't write back that protection directly from the RAW dumps.

You're right on this matter. Quite a number of games indeed can't be written back straight from RAW dumps without being descripted.

That it needs to be pre processed to some other format, like an IPF image. You just confirm what I have said.

It's on our website. Steve has added the ability to write directly the RAW dumps back on disks at the request of the users, but yes, using the master IPFs solve the problem, because the protection is written as intended like on the disk where the raw dump came.

And btw, this is not your "usual" copylock protection. I know you call it Copylock, but I don't think it is copylock at all.

You're perfectly wrong here. The anco titles use a custom copylock, different from the one used on the other publishers titles.

It is in fact a variant of the copylock short version spanned on 6 tracks.

Yes, but in this case, it is not that just one part is clean. You said yourself the disk works perfectly, this can't happen if a part is completely damaged.

Yes the disk loads, but there are no confirmation that the game doesn't load anything from track 44 to 79 side 1.

And yes, most of the time something like that it would be because of a bad dump. But not always.

;)

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:32 pm

Tronic wrote:Sorry, what do you need from me dlfrsilver?

Nothing yet :) I need another dump of another disk of the same game to make a compare.

Can I just say, the original disk does work on my Atari hardware and in Steem. When I write back the disk to a new disk (I've tried about 10 disks now with no success) it bombs on my STE and my STFM with the error I show in the above Steem screen grab.

Basically, you can only write back on disk this game from the IPF. It uses a specific version of a copylock short called "copylock Anco".

Below you can download the image that doesn't work when I write back the image to disk using Kryoflux:-

http://www.johncove.co.uk/clients/KickO ... D-DEAD.zip

I don't need it, thank you :)

I sent you a PM. Once the compare is done, you'll possibly get (or not if bad) a private/temporary IPF.

Brume
Red eyes
Red eyes

Postby Brume » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:08 pm

The game is single side (have several copies of it - all are single side).

Here is another dump if it can help to analyze the content:

https://mega.nz/#F!nYljAQAY!Qwck2iS2DDoC2CdDQ-1xLw

Kick Off 2 + World Cup 90.png

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:28 pm

Brume wrote:The game is single side (have several copies of it - all are single side).

Here is another dump if it can help to analyze the content:

https://mega.nz/#F!nYljAQAY!Qwck2iS2DDoC2CdDQ-1xLw

Kick Off 2 + World Cup 90.png

thanks Brume, your dump is perfect, but it's also an alternate version, different from Tronic release.

Your version lacks the file "Title." sized 27575 bytes. Tronic's disk has this title screen.

So now i rely on Kodak80 own dump :)

Do you want the temporary IPF out of your disk ?

Tronic's disk :

Tronic's_Kickoff2+WC90_directory.jpg

Brume's disk :

Brume's KickOff2+WC90_directory.jpg
Last edited by dlfrsilver on Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tronic
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Tronic » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:29 pm

I tried to write Bruno's image to disk too but it didn't work and gave me 3 bombs on load :(

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:30 pm

Tronic wrote:I tried to write Bruno's image to disk too but it didn't work and gave me 3 bombs on load :(

That's perfectly normal, any title protected with a copylock should not work as it is straight from RAW dump.

Tronic
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Tronic » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:31 pm

Oh really? :(

How can we get around this problem?

dlfrsilver
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dlfrsilver » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:45 pm

Tronic wrote:Oh really? :(

How can we get around this problem?

i think the issue will be positive. In fact i wonder if side 1 on your version is not simply holding the title file data not present on brume's version.

Your version is double sided, and Brume's is only single sided.

EDIT : it seems this game exists in 3 differents releases. We have 2 of them right now.

Social Media

Return to “Kryoflux”