Coming soon! Steem SSE 3.4

A place to discuss current and future developments for STeem

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Coming soon! Steem SSE 3.4

Postby Steven Seagal » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:53 pm

Unknown screens, but they come from great demos though.
Soon I'll be using my own repository and uploading the source will be less trouble, I'm working on it. I keep my reservations about GPL though.

Time to showcase a silly hack that goes around an even sillier bug.

There was a bug in the first batch of STE (TOS106) where the GEM desktop failed to boot in medium resolution no matter how many times you saved your 'DESKTOP.INF'. This was annoying because info text files often were in 80 columns. A 'fix' to place in your 'AUTO' folder was available.

Oh boy!

No more necessary! (option 'Hacks'). This is where your precious CPU cycles go, checking each opened file, and patch it if it's DESKTOP.INF
I tried to patch the TOS itself but couldn't do it, it could be a challenge for someone else. Or maybe it already exists and the hack is totally useless.
Why not just use TOS162 you may ask? Because some programs run with TOS106 but not TOS162.
In the CIA we learned that ST ruled
Steem SSE: http://sourceforge.net/projects/steemsse

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:58 am

Think I found the ideal solution to the 'emu detect' problem:
It works with Klapauzius hacks: they indicate 'Steem' or not accordingly.

I plan to release next week.

I've already uploaded some cool doc (70MB) at https://sourceforge.net/projects/steemsse/files/Doc/. Not under VCS (the kind of decision you need to make). I hope it infringes no copyright.
It includes a disassembly of the IKBD 6301 ROM, if someone wants to analyse this.
Is it OK to upload the ROM itself, and TOS images on sourceforge?

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:30 am

Steven Seagal wrote:I've already uploaded some cool doc (70MB) at https://sourceforge.net/projects/steemsse/files/Doc/. Not under VCS (the kind of decision you need to make). I hope it infringes no copyright.

Hello
some of these docs are clearly copyrighted ; I don't think anyone would bother you if you put them on your own site, but I think it might violate sourceforge's term of use on their site.
It includes a disassembly of the IKBD 6301 ROM, if someone wants to analyse this.

I used dasmx to dump the ikbd's rom, it gives much better results as it will create labels for jumps and things like that.
Is it OK to upload the ROM itself, and TOS images on sourceforge?

No, this is still owned by Atari. If some of the above docs are in the public domain and could be left on Sourceforge, TOS or IKBD's rom are clearly forbidden.
There could be some exceptions in the case where the user still own a real Atari with the corresponding TOS and in that case you would be allowed to use this TOS in the emulator, but as for hosting the TOS (which is copyrighted material) on Sourceforge, this is wrong.

Note that most docs you put there (and many more) are already available on http://dev-docs.atariforge.org/, so there's no real need to duplicate effort. If you have docs that are not on this site, maybe try to send them so they're included to the site.

Nicolas

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:59 am

OK I removed the doc then.
My disassembly was as good as dasmx's output BTW.

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:05 am

dasmx will add some symbols to referenced branch points or data, which is quite useful when trying to understand what the program is doing.
For example :

Code: Select all

LFE6E:
         ldaa    X009D
         beq     LFE75
         inca
         staa    X009D
 LFE75:
         bitb    #$20
         beq     LFEC5
         bitb    #$04
         beq     LFEA8
         ldx     #$0000

I might be wrong, but I didn't see this in your disassembly of the rom ?

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:54 am

The addresses were branches go are added between ( ), it's as good as labels.

fee2   96 11      ldaa 11
fee4   85 40      bita #40
fee6   26 0c      bne  0c (FEF4)
fee8   85 80      bita #80
feea   26 05      bne  05 (FEF1)
feec   85 20      bita #20
feee   26 07      bne  07 (FEF7)
fef0   3b      rti

fef1   8d 11      bsr  11 (FF04)
fef3   3b      rti

fef4   8d 4a      bsr  4a (FF40)
fef6   3b      rti

fef7   96 d7      ldaa d7
fef9   2a 05      bpl  05 (FF00)
fefb   71 fb 11   aim fb11
fefe   20 03      bra  03 (FF03)
ff00   bd fd 68   jsr  fd68
ff03   3b      rti

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:16 pm

No, it's not as good, it's not the same thing. What you have (and what is also in Hatari's debuger for cpu/dsp) is just a plain disassembly of the code (with relative addresses converted to absolute address for better readability)
What dasmx does (as well as monst or other debuggers) is a 2 passes analysis of the code bloc to determine which absolute/relative addresses are effectively referenced by other parts of the code (using jmp, bsr or lea for example) and creating labels for each such address, which means that when you later read a bloc of hundreds of asm lines, you can immediatly see where are the entry points, which helps seeing the logic in the code (loops or internal "functions" for instance clearly appear this way).

Edit : to compare, here's the corresponding output from dasmx (I removed the hexa value of each instruction as it's the same)

XFEE2:
        ldaa    X0011     
        bita    #$40
        bne     LFEF4     
        bita    #$80
        bne     LFEF1     
        bita    #$20
        bne     LFEF7     
        rti
;
LFEF1:
        bsr     LFF04
        rti
;
LFEF4:
        bsr     LFF40
        rti
;
LFEF7:
        ldaa    X00D7
        bpl     LFF00
        aim     #$FBX0011
        bra     LFF03
;
LFF00:
        jsr     LFD68
LFF03:
        rti

As you can see, having code "cleaned" to keep only referenced addresses as labels gives a better readability. Another advantage of 2 passes-disasm and adding labels is that you can often modify the resulting asm source, recompile it and get a new working binary with relative branches beeing updated (but this is getting off topic to steem anyway :) )

Nicolas

paulwratt
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby paulwratt » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:30 am

I think arguing about "what is correct" or not is not up to those not doing the dev work, yes?

but in this case one output requires (included) address, and the other can be much more easily modifed or adapted to other assemblers (incl v4e), simply because it does not have line numbers (only labels)

LFEF1: look "prettier" than "fef1" - but both are just as (un)descriptive

note about your docs, throw them in a branch without sources (and therefore without GPL) - solves problem. Unfortunately it is better in the long run to keep ANY associated "stuff" directly within project. You dont know how many times I have found really old (good) sources only to find ALL ref material, and LIBs are link to "some other place" which has not existed for 10 years (ie not even chance in archive.org)

GPL allows for public beta, and includes "with exceptions" clause too (for other copyright material).

Paul

paulwratt
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby paulwratt » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:39 am

Steven Seagal wrote:Unknown screens, but they come from great demos though.
There was a bug in the first batch of STE (TOS106) where the GEM desktop failed to boot in medium resolution no matter how many times you saved your 'DESKTOP.INF'. This was annoying because info text files often were in 80 columns. A 'fix' to place in your 'AUTO' folder was available.

remember that this only affect boot, and it does affect 1.62 too, my old STE 1040 with 1.62 had issues sometimes, so problem is probably in desktop.inf too

it does not affect "change rez" tho

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:14 am

paulwratt wrote:note about your docs, throw them in a branch without sources (and therefore without GPL) - solves problem. Unfortunately it is better in the long run to keep ANY associated "stuff" directly within project. You dont know how many times I have found really old (good) sources only to find ALL ref material, and LIBs are link to "some other place" which has not existed for 10 years (ie not even chance in archive.org)

How does it solve the problem ? Some of this docs are copyrighted by their author (datasheets by motorola, other articles from some printed magazines, ...) so putting them in a branch without source is not a solution, they would still be copyrighted and would break term of use of sourceforce (this has nothing to do with GPL).
Such docs need to be kept on a site that doesn't forbid such copyrighted technical infos (see dev-docs.atariforge.com for example)

Nicolas

MystikShadows
Atariator
Atariator

Postby MystikShadows » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:15 am

Ahh haa, the elusive SSE 3.4 :)

I don't know of it's just me, but nothing works in this thread in terms of links or getting anything about SSE 3.4 or 3.3 for that matter. :)

I'm very interested by this build. :)

Omikronman
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Omikronman » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:33 am

I always wonder about if there is or will be a Macintosh version of Steem some time. :)

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:21 am

It's not elusive at all, I edited the link in the first post.
It's here now (v3.4.1):
http://sourceforge.net/projects/steemsse/
http://ataristeven.eu5.org/Steem.htm
The latter will change, it's shameful how they make the site unusable with popups. :evil:

Personally I know nothing of Mac programming.

FedePede04
Atari God
Atari God

Postby FedePede04 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:50 am

Steven Seagal wrote:It's not elusive at all, I edited the link in the first post.
It's here now (v3.4.1):
http://sourceforge.net/projects/steemsse/
http://ataristeven.eu5.org/Steem.htm
The latter will change, it's shameful how they make the site unusable with popups. :evil:

Personally I know nothing of Mac programming.

Thanks Steven Seagal
Keep up the good work, looking forward to use it.
Atari will rule the world, long after man has disappeared

sometime my English is a little weird, Google translate is my best friend :)

russ
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby russ » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:33 am

Wow Great news SS-This will make my STE very happy and me also-Keep up the Great work SS :D :mrgreen: Many Thanks
russ

russ
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby russ » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:15 pm

Ran the SSE Steem and all is good added all my progs and all seem well-nice to see improvments and ease- Joystick works well :D Back into Harlequin like I never left it- Dizzy works smooth-fine work and progs that were slow seem to flow- :mrgreen: Great job Steven Seagal what's next??ATARI fOREVER
russ

Social Media

Return to “Development”