Atari God
Atari God

Re: The Steven Seagal build!

Postby FedePede04 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:31 pm

thanks.
good work Steven
i am looking forward to try it out.
Atari will rule the world, long after man has disappeared

sometime my English is a little weird, Google translate is my best friend :)

Avanze
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Avanze » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:15 pm

Nice to see this officially released.

thephantom
Atarian
Atarian

Postby thephantom » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:16 pm

Awesome release - thanks!

!cube
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby !cube » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:53 am

What has changed from the original Steem compared to the SSE regarding the UI buttons? For the life of me, I can't get the fast forward button to work as it does in the original. Pressing it either doesn't work or stops the emulation as well.
Kludge power since 1976.

MagikGimp
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby MagikGimp » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi Steve, loved you in Under Siege.

A quick question as I've only been keeping up with STEEm development on and off since the source was released:
There are now two forks of STEEm yes? Yours and the JLG release. Are there any plans to merge the two? It seems silly having two forks and as the JLG build is basically a tidy up of the original v3.2 code it would make sense to adopt your changes into this more up to date coding practice.
Also, as STEEm is now Open Source, does it mean that everyone will be able to contribute to improving code as in a proper OS project? I expect this one has been asked many times already so apologies about that; it's really my first question that I'm more interested in as I'm no coder. I just felt it was important to point out how STEEm has fragmented, there may even be other builds that I'm not aware of.

Thanks.
Want to preserve all those old floppy disks? Then head on over to P. Putnik's Floppy Image page!

MagikGimp

Postby MagikGimp » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:51 pm

Also, SSE is crashing in Full Screen mode for me. This is on first boot (conf file deleted) and comparing with the original v3.2 which doesn't crash on hitting the "maximize" button.
Want to preserve all those old floppy disks? Then head on over to P. Putnik's Floppy Image page!

MagikGimp

Postby MagikGimp » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:54 pm

And hey, a bug that's been around since v3.2 all this time:
When browsing through directories on my Iomega REV Drive in the Disk Manager the "Parent Directory" icon doesn't appear. This drive causes plenty of headaches for other emulator programmers too as it uses the UDF filing system so it's not the end of the world (I can still browse the drive and use the back and forward buttons) but I thought I'd mention it. Haven't tested with a rewritable disc that uses UDF or anything else to see if there's a similar problem and I'm using XP if that's any help.

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:08 am

- Fast forward: I'll check this but it could be a 'fast forward toggle' shortcut interference, especially if you somehow assigned F12.
- Iomega: seems to be a very specific situation, I know nothing about UDF yet.
- Fullscreen: it works on systems I've tested, but they all have a 4x3 type screen. I will run tests with a wide display (if that's what you have). Maybe check SSE option 'normal display size'. Normally fullscreen in this mode hasn't changed. Or maybe try with the Borland build. It's strange that it crashes, in general it would just display nothing when failing. Do you also have problems with the 3.3 version?
- Forks: people do what they want. SSE is a branch with releases, that compiles in VC6, BCC5.5 and GCC.
- Under Siege: I always get the feeling Gary Busey stole the show.
In the CIA we learned that ST ruled
Steem SSE: http://sourceforge.net/projects/steemsse

!cube
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby !cube » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:19 pm

Steven Seagal wrote:- Fast forward: I'll check this but it could be a 'fast forward toggle' shortcut interference, especially if you somehow assigned F12.

What do you mean exactly? Yes, I have set the Fast forward (toggle) shortcut to be F12, which works fine in regular Steem builds. I don't have the normal fast forward assigned to anything.
Kludge power since 1976.

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:41 am

In the SSE version F12 is reserved for start/stop emu.

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:33 am

By the way, my site has no stats, but sourceforge has, I see there are some downloads at last, it's fine to see those uploading efforts are not for nothing, at some point I thought there was zero interest in this. :)

MagikGimp

Postby MagikGimp » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:40 am

Steven Seagal wrote:By the way, my site has no stats, but sourceforge has, I see there are some downloads at last, it's fine to see those uploading efforts are not for nothing, at some point I thought there was zero interest in this. :)

The problem isn't lack of interest it's that it's quite a confusing situation. Took me a good while to figure out that yours was the latest fork to have work done on it. Hence my point about joining all the forks back together. It's not like the JLG release has anything new; he simply tied up the code so it complies with modern coding convention (and can actually be compiled in VC++ '10.) There's a freeware version of this called Microsoft Visual Studio Express if there's an issue with cost but taking this tidier code and adding your new features not only centralises the code-base (so more people can work on it as a true OS project, although that may take even more organisation, granted) but I should think it would make it easier to work on causing fewer bugs to materialise. Speaking of which, I'll get back to you on the full-screen one as soon as I can.

Willabong
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Willabong » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:41 am

Nice to see someone updating STEEM again, it's still the best emulator around!
What I would like to see is a different approach to the steem UI.....This may sound like sacrilege, but the original steem (Atari) UI is very flat and basic because of the limitations with the graphics capability at the time. I would love to see a new UI that keeps the basic looks, but updates the UI for the modern PC world.
Doing this would really make this emulator much more interesting to new younger users and even older ones who never had the chance to use an original ST.
I have no idea if this can be done, as I am not a programmer, but maybe a switch of some kind to move between the traditional UI design and a new more modern looking UI?
Just a suggestion?
Death is natures way of telling you to slow down!

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:57 am

MagikGimp wrote:The problem isn't lack of interest it's that it's quite a confusing situation. Took me a good while to figure out that yours was the latest fork to have work done on it.

I will brag even more so that it becomes obvious! Restraint isn't warranted.

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:01 am

Willabong wrote:What I would like to see is a different approach to the steem UI.....This may sound like sacrilege, but the original steem (Atari) UI is very flat and basic because of the limitations with the graphics capability at the time. I would love to see a new UI that keeps the basic looks, but updates the UI for the modern PC world.
Doing this would really make this emulator much more interesting to new younger users and even older ones who never had the chance to use an original ST.
I have no idea if this can be done, as I am not a programmer, but maybe a switch of some kind to move between the traditional UI design and a new more modern looking UI?
Just a suggestion?

I just don't understand. I thought the GUI of Steem itself was fine? I would say even extremely intuitive. If you're talking GEM, it's another project altogether, and I believe there are more modern versions of TOS already.

Willabong
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Willabong » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:19 am

Yes sorry! Told you I wasn't a programmer!
The Gem interface is what I was talking about, Obviously this would be difficult to improve if not impossible?
Death is natures way of telling you to slow down!

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:41 am

It seems that just after atari-forum was up again, my personal ST site has been taken down.
So much hate!
The bastards didn't give me any notice, they just nuked it.
I'm considering paying hosting for the future, but I should then abandon the Seagal name, maybe?! Tough decision.
In the mean time, I opened a new account and transferred the site to:

http://ataristeven.eu5.org

It seems to be blazing fast but who knows if they nuke it too soon.
I also try to keep the 'web' icon below the avatar up to date.

The Steem SSE build is always available there:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/steemsse/

MagikGimp

Postby MagikGimp » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:50 pm

Steven Seagal wrote:
Willabong wrote:What I would like to see is a different approach to the steem UI.....This may sound like sacrilege, but the original steem (Atari) UI is very flat and basic because of the limitations with the graphics capability at the time. I would love to see a new UI that keeps the basic looks, but updates the UI for the modern PC world.
Just a suggestion?

I just don't understand. I thought the GUI of Steem itself was fine? I would say even extremely intuitive. If you're talking GEM, it's another project altogether, and I believe there are more modern versions of TOS already.

I think what Willabong is getting at is that the GUI is of an old version when compared to more modern software. I tried to do some research on what the underlying technology is and how to compile software with an updated style but I'm at a loss. In my experience the age of the programming IDE is what determines what compiled programmes look like. Whether it's possible to choose a GUI version at build I have no idea. I just remember building in old Borland looked different to VB6 which looked different to other Windows software I use.
Personally, because there's so little standardisation in Windows, STEEm's look doesn't bother me but Willa may have a point. If STEEm were to ever to be ported to other platforms then the code would have to be changed to negate the GUI anyway.

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:08 pm

I have been having problems testing an STE project I have been working on lately using Steem 3.2 - I need a good stable 50 or 60hz refresh and just not getting it. Windowed mode is terrible and fullscreen mode is *nearly* ok but still jitters quite often. No amount of fussing with configuration seems to help.

Anyway I tried the Steem 3.4 build and its a *lot* better in windowed mode - as good as 3.2 in fullscreen, and good enough for testing work. Nice :)

Unfortunately the fullscreen mode in 3.4 doesn't seem to work at all here - blank screen with the Steem icon bar and that's it. Still trying to coax it into working. Any suggestions welcome (other than zapping my video drivers - which I prefer not to as it works with the other emulators).

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:50 pm

I'm working on a fix for fullscreen issues, if that's something that worked in v3.2 and not in v3.4 it's easy to find (at least for original display size).
I will upload a v3.4.1 soon.

By the way, sorry about the new site, they spam it to death, yet it was guaranteed "ad-free".

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:13 pm

Hello,

Does the stella adapter usb joystick adapter work with steem? I tested it with stella and the adapter is fine, but I can't get it recognized in steem (using sse 3.3.0). Thanks.

P.S. It installs as a HID-compliant game controller under win7 if that helps..

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:38 pm

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:Hello,

Does the stella adapter usb joystick adapter work with steem? I tested it with stella and the adapter is fine, but I can't get it recognized in steem (using sse 3.3.0). Thanks.

And with Steem 3.2? And in other emulators like SainT and Hatari?
Do you actually have it working in anything but stella (the 2600 emu, right)?

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:05 pm

Steven Seagal wrote:
TheNameOfTheGame wrote:Hello,

And with Steem 3.2? And in other emulators like SainT and Hatari?
Do you actually have it working in anything but stella (the 2600 emu, right)?

I just tried it in steem 3.2 and it doesn't work as far as I can tell. There is a Joystick Configuration menu and the readme file says any windows compatible joystick will work, but I didn't know if that included usb HID-compliant game controllers.

It works in SainT fine. Yes, the stella I tried is the 2600 emu. Thanks.

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:40 pm

It should include HID compatible controllers. My DB15_>USB joystick adaptor works for over 10 years with any OS and STEEM.

Did you try configuring the device within STEEM? In STEEM you can select multiple joystick configurations and configure them. You can move a connected joystick and/or push its buttons to assign them to ST events like directions, fire buttons or key presses.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:29 pm

simonsunnyboy wrote:It should include HID compatible controllers. My DB15_>USB joystick adaptor works for over 10 years with any OS and STEEM.

Did you try configuring the device within STEEM? In STEEM you can select multiple joystick configurations and configure them. You can move a connected joystick and/or push its buttons to assign them to ST events like directions, fire buttons or key presses.

Ok, it is working. With SainT, Stella and Altirra the joystick "just worked" and was automatically recognized. So I didn't understand why it wouldn't work in Steem. Well the default Joystick Configuration screen is like this:

What I didn't know is that to change from the keys to joystick movements the actual boxes with the keys in them have to be clicked and then the joystick moved to fill in the box with the movement. So I added another configuration and changed Port 1 as shown below and now it works. The red boxes are the ones that have to be clicked on then filled in with a movement from the joystick.

(This just shows joystick 1 configured)

So it turns out that Steem does recognize the joystick fine, it is just that unlike the other emulators I listed, Steem has to be specifically configured before it works.

Social Media

Return to “Development”