The Steven Seagal build!

A place to discuss current and future developments for STeem

Moderators: Mug UK, Steem Authors, Moderator Team

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Re: The Steven Seagal build!

Postby Cyprian » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:02 pm

Steven, what difference is between Steem 3.3 beta with Boiler and Steem 3.3 beta debug version from your website?

Steven Seagal wrote:Nobody even downloaded it? If you don't care, just tell so, and I keep it for myself, I want to bother nobody.

hmm, I downloaded it sometimes ago from this topic.

and definitely, do not stop improving steem
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

Gibbersan
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Gibbersan » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:39 pm

Downloading it now!

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:59 pm

I like the Easyrider touch :)
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:33 pm

Well, seeing 0 downloads I naturally wondered if I was just boring everybody here with my brags (can't help it).

This version is more a collection of hacks and questionable "lifts" than anything, so I'm not sure you should take it as a basis for other changes. If you do, I should try to upload it in a "branch" using subversion. But except for the F5/F11 keys (that work only half of the time), I haven't changed the Boiler part of Steem.

The debug version is meant to run in a Windows debugger, that's the one I use, it has no Boiler because it would be dead slow on my computer.
In the CIA we learned that ST ruled
Steem SSE: http://sourceforge.net/projects/steemsse

Gibbersan
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Gibbersan » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:43 pm

I downloaded it straight from your website. I picked up the standard beta release.

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:53 pm

Just thought I would give a thumbs up Steven [smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_12.gif] good on you for stepping up to the plate!

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:57 pm

No, really I don't want that everybody who uses this says so, nor "yo great job" posts, I was just worried that absolutely nobody has any use for it and that I was like this prophet in the desert. Even if only 2-3 dudes are interested, great, we go on, it's a small "community" after all.
I think there's a silly bug in the current version where you can't get the crisp "no stretch" display, so don't rush to download it anyway! I'll upload a fixed version.
Edit: found the stupid bug.
Last edited by Steven Seagal on Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xerus

Postby Xerus » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:49 pm

Steven Seagal wrote:it's a small "community" after all.

I feel also that there is not much activity on the site at the present time, perhaps another reason ?

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:43 pm

Xerus wrote:I feel also that there is not much activity on the site at the present time, perhaps another reason ?

Some of the heavy posters of past are no longer here... :roll:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

RetroGamerUK
RetroLamerUK
RetroLamerUK

Postby RetroGamerUK » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:20 am

Steven Seagal wrote:No, really I don't want that everybody who uses this says so, nor "yo great job" posts, I was just worried that absolutely nobody has any use for it and that I was like this prophet in the desert. Even if only 2-3 dudes are interested, great, we go on, it's a small "community" after all.
I think there's a silly bug in the current version where you can't get the crisp "no stretch" display, so don't rush to download it anyway! I'll upload a fixed version.

I haven't used it, I just thought since you appeared to be feeling like nobody appreciates your work here that I would give my thumbs up , well take it or leave it, it's there all the same :thumbs:

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:26 am

Well, the most important thing here is to have fun with your Atari system or Emulator.
I do not play any games on my Atari but I enjoy tinkering with Mint and stuff related to it.
So much so as to get an accelerator which I could have got an modern computer for about the same price or less.
So if your kind of fun/enjoymnt is updating the Steven "Ass-kicking" Seagal build, so be it. :angel:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:02 pm

I updated the beta & source of the kickass Steem 3.3 build.
Only on my ST site, to save me from depression:

http://ataristeven.host898.net/Steem.htm

Highlights:
- corrected the silly blurry 'double, no stretch' display bug.
- included correct timings for divs & divu (ijor).
- included some Hatari custom keyboard routines.
- runs more games, more demos.

I also included all the games/demos Steem can now run on the site, so it becomes a kickass ST site in general!

Retrogamer_ST
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Retrogamer_ST » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:09 pm

Thanks. Great job. :)

Your first upgrade fixed the framerate and now the display is much better. Unfortanly i'm no programmer else i would have helped you to improve this excellent emulator. ;)

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:38 pm

Hi Steven. As you know I have been looking closely to your code viewtopic.php?f=94&t=22138
This is superb job :thumbs:

I have found some problems in the code you have modified. Some are minors (like macro re-definitions) but one is bad :roll:
As you are using VC6 you are facing the "variables defined in a for loop go out of scope after the for loop ends" bug/problem.
In most cases you have fixed the problem by moving the declaration outside the loop but in other places you have done strange fix.
Here is some code from stjoy.ccp from void TJoystickConfig::CheckJoyType() function

Code: Select all

for (int n=0;n<2;n++){
      if (DoJag){
        for (int n=180;n<200;n++) if (GetDlgItem(Handle,n)) ShowWindow(GetDlgItem(Handle,n),JagShowType);
        for (int n=160;n<180;n++) if (GetDlgItem(Handle,n)) ShowWindow(GetDlgItem(Handle,n),JagShowType);
      }else{
        for (int n=114;n<=118;n++) ShowWindow(GetDlgItem(Handle,n),NormShowType);

for (int n=150;n<=151;n++) ShowWindow(GetDlgItem(Handle,n),NormShowType);

for (int n=201;n<=202;n++) ShowWindow(GetDlgItem(Handle,n),NormShowType);

for (int n=210;n<=218;n++) ShowWindow(GetDlgItem(Handle,n),NormShowType);
        ShowWindow(GetDlgItem(Handle,220),NormShowType);

for (int n=250;n<=251;n++) ShowWindow(GetDlgItem(Handle,n),NormShowType);
      }

DoJag=!DoJag;
    }

As the variable n is redefined you have changed the code to

for (int n=0;n<2;n++){
      if (DoJag){
        for (int n=180;n<200;n++) if (GetDlgItem(Handle,n)) ShowWindow(GetDlgItem(Handle,n),JagShowType);
        for ( n=160;n<180;n++) if (GetDlgItem(Handle,n)) ShowWindow(GetDlgItem(Handle,n),JagShowType);
      }else{
        for (int n=114;n<=118;n++) ShowWindow(GetDlgItem(Handle,n),NormShowType);

for ( n=150;n<=151;n++) ShowWindow(GetDlgItem(Handle,n),NormShowType);

for ( n=201;n<=202;n++) ShowWindow(GetDlgItem(Handle,n),NormShowType);

for ( n=210;n<=218;n++) ShowWindow(GetDlgItem(Handle,n),NormShowType);

for ( n=250;n<=251;n++) ShowWindow(GetDlgItem(Handle,n),NormShowType);
      }

DoJag=!DoJag;
    }

This probably work in VC6 ? but it is wrong and certainly does not work in fully compliant C++ compiler.
What is happening? the third for loop in the code has no declaration for n and therefore the compiler uses the declaration of n from above: that is the declaration of the first one (n=0 to 2) (this is because the declaration in the second one is now out of scope) !!! This is obviously not what you want (this breaks the outer loop)

Here is the nice and correct way of fixing the problem for VC6 but that will work for all compliant compilers:

{for (int n=0;n<2;n++){
      if (DoJag){
        {for (int n=180;n<200;n++) if (GetDlgItem(Handle,n)) ShowWindow(GetDlgItem(Handle,n),JagShowType);}
        {for (int n=160;n<180;n++) if (GetDlgItem(Handle,n)) ShowWindow(GetDlgItem(Handle,n),JagShowType);}
      }else{
        {for (int n=114;n<=118;n++) ShowWindow(GetDlgItem(Handle,n),NormShowType);}

{for (int n=150;n<=151;n++) ShowWindow(GetDlgItem(Handle,n),NormShowType);}

{for (int n=201;n<=202;n++) ShowWindow(GetDlgItem(Handle,n),NormShowType);}

{for (int n=210;n<=218;n++) ShowWindow(GetDlgItem(Handle,n),NormShowType);}

{for (int n=250;n<=251;n++) ShowWindow(GetDlgItem(Handle,n),NormShowType);}
      }

DoJag=!DoJag;
    }}

Other problems concern redefinition of Macros (e.g.BORDER_SIDE). This is not clean but it seems to be OK I am currently looking at this.

For information you have placed some inline in .cpp code (macro replacement?) and again this is wrong. Depending on the compiler in most cases this will just be ignored but in most cases it will result in unresolved function by the linker. Here is the rule:
Inline functions: It's imperative that the function's definition (the part between the {...}) be placed in a header file, unless the function is used only in a single .cpp file. In particular, if you put the inline function's definition into a .cpp file and you call it from some other .cpp file, you'll get an "unresolved external" error from the linker.

Cheers Jean

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:44 pm

Thanks.
About the for scope, you're certainly right. It was one of the first things I did, a bit quick as I wanted to have it compile in VC6. It's a horrible bug! Later I found a handy macro that seemed to make that useless anyway:

#ifdef _VC_BUILD
#if defined(_MSC_VER) && _MSC_VER <= 1200
#define for if(0); else for
#endif
#endif

And I left it like that. I suppose that it's enough to put int in front of n again? I'll check it again for sure.

About BORDER_SIDE, I know it's not beautiful, but it minimises changes in Steem code.
For the inline problem, I'm always confused by it. It certainly compiles & links though.
In BCC, i often get warnings that it will not be inlined anyway because there's a for or a switch. BCC gives more errors & warnings, that's one of the reasons I want Steem to compile with BCC too.
I've modified the source a lot since I uploaded it, it's quite messy for the moment, but I hope to upload a new version soon.

nash67
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nash67 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:42 am

check BBC menu 52 in your build

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:51 am

Steven please have a look here viewtopic.php?f=94&t=22138&p=197479#p197479
I would like to merge your latest build with mine so we benefit of both ;)

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:49 am

Steve did you tried to compile the draw_c.cpp file? I guess not if you are using VC++

There are several macros like this one:
#define OSD_DRAWPIXEL(c) *(((WORD*)dadd)++)=(WORD)c;

which is wrong! It does not compile with error C2105 '++' needs l-value under VC++
This may compile on some C++ compiler but it is wrong because this suppose that an intermediate variable is created and destroyed by the comp (not C++ compliant)

BYTE* dadd = 0;
WORD* tmp= (WORD*)dadd;
 tmp++;  // OK
((WORD*)dadd)++ // Wrong error C2105

I am working on fixing the problem to see if Steem can be build without the assembly code

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:49 pm

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:30 pm

One quick question in diskman.cpp you have

Str TDiskManager::GetMSAConverterPath()
{
  if (MSAConvPath.NotEmpty()){
    //if (Exists(MSAConvPath)) return MSAConvPath;
  }

#ifdef STEVEN_SEAGAL
  BREAKPOINT;
   // We don't prompt player if Msa.exe is in Steem's folder
   // We are in a _WIN32 block
//#ifndef _DEBUG   // Paths are different in debug version, we don't bother
   // First check is msa.exe is on the steem path,
   // if yes, no need to ask player

EasyStr str(RunDir);   // RunDir contains the app folder
   str+="\\msa.exe";   // notice double \
   if(Exists(str))
   {
      MSAConvPath=str;   // MSAConvParth is an "EasyStr"
      return MSAConvPath;
   }
//#endif   // NDBG
#endif   // SS

As you can see the str+ ... line endup with backslash in a comment
The result is tha the if(Exists(str)) line is considered as a comment is this on purpose ?

Thanks

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:24 pm

Thanks!
A classic bug, and the illustration why you shouldn't comment your code, it's dangerous.

DrCoolZic
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DrCoolZic » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:59 pm

This is why I am cleaning the code to be able to turn back the Warnings in VC++ I can now compile with Warnings Level 3 which is the standard level I use ;)
This bug was actually caught by the compiler as a warning! Not bad

nash67
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nash67 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:39 pm

also check Lemmings Menu 40 in your build

Steven Seagal
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Steven Seagal » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:19 pm

nash67 wrote:also check Lemmings Menu 40 in your build

This is a case where the STF mustn't crash. I have no luck. I made it crash here and I didn't where it should and PYM/ST-CNX was checking... The next version will run the intro of this menu.

npomarede
Atari God
Atari God

Postby npomarede » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:32 pm

Hello,

what do you mean by "crash" ? The menu from http://atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=22207#p197494 is not crashing (but borders are not correctly removed).
I don't see, what part of this menu 40 is related to PYM/ST Cnx according to you ?

Nicolas

Social Media

Return to “Development”