Discuss Demos / Games / Applications written by Atari coders

Moderators: Mug UK, Silver Surfer, Moderator Team

seastalker
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Commodore/Amiga: Slimming down harddrive space by file type

Postby seastalker » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:47 pm

Hey guys,
I am looking to cut some gristle and fat out of my various software collections and am looking for a strategy... here is what I have to work with and my goals:

HOW TO FILTER THE SOFTWARE TO TRIM DOWN:
- I do like the 1G1R (One Game One Region) mentality of eliminating needless clones or duplicate software, especially bad dumps and non working cracked software. So often I am loading an old game on the MIST and then it wont play.

- I use the awesome HyperSpin front-end with RocketLauncher. Their dedicated teams create database files that REALLY stick to the 1G1R goal and easy to read naming scheme of [gamename] ([region]). They do this just for games though and I'd love to apply the same to the rest of the non-game software. Also HyperSpin uses WHDLoad format which I believe is not compatible with the MIST cores.

- I like whenever possible to have one universally compatible file format so the same files can run on a MIST, in emulators, etc. I realize I sometimes need two or even three 'sets' of software as file type compatibility varies.

WHERE TO RUN THE SOFTWARE:
Playing GAMES on: PC, MIST, Android devices and portables thru emulators
Running ALL software (not just games): MIST only

AMIGA AS A SOFTWARE EXAMPLE (THOUGH C64 AND ATARI ST ALSO NEED TRIMMING):
I have:
1. 'No-Intro' games as IPF files
2. 'Killer Gorilla' games (zipped, containing .info file, and subfolder with .info, .bin, and .slave files)
3. TOSEC [Not just games...HUGE collection of Demos, Applications, Magazines etc. in ADF, EXE, IPF, and ROM formats]
4. WHDLoad - A collection of games, applications, demos, magazines, etc. in .LHA format.
5. Cloanto Amiga Forever collection

So, which if any can I eliminate or where should I start to get a bare-bones Amiga software collection without duplicates and without missing at least one good copy of all software? I realize this may be a daunting task but someone must have done this before me, no?

Social Media

Return to “Non Atari Platforms”