All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Galvez, Moderator Team

Xyla
Atari freak
Atari freak

Firebee MIDI status

Postby Xyla » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:13 am

Hi,

I saw there is an update for the Firebee's FPGA. I didn't see a list of changes though... is there a changelog somewhere? And what is the current status of MIDI on the Firebee?

ldv-01
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Firebee MIDI status

Postby ldv-01 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:20 pm

Hi,
MIDI is functional at hardware level, and supported / tested (MIDI IN/OUT) in EmuTOS.

Xyla
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Xyla » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:51 pm

Awesome, thank you. I'll have to play around with it soon.

ldv-01

Postby ldv-01 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:53 am

In EmuTOS (FireBee) midi apps running via the 68K emulator are very few. You can try Midiview (Midi in monitor) and Kara4tos (Midi file player).

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:33 pm

ldv-01 wrote:In EmuTOS (FireBee) midi apps running via the 68K emulator are very few.

Does Music Mouse work: http://tamw.exxoshost.co.uk/mmouse.htm ?

(10-20 years ago when I tried lots of different MIDI applications, that was one of my favorites.)

sashapont

Postby sashapont » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:16 pm

ldv-01 wrote:In EmuTOS (FireBee) midi apps running via the 68K emulator are very few. You can try Midiview (Midi in monitor) and Kara4tos (Midi file player).

Hi! Where I can find Kara4Tos?
Atari Falcon, Firebee

ldv-01

Postby ldv-01 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:41 am

No, unfortunately. MM crashes after start on FireTOS or EmuTOS(with 68K EMU).
Eero Tamminen wrote:
ldv-01 wrote:In EmuTOS (FireBee) midi apps running via the 68K emulator are very few.

(10-20 years ago when I tried lots of different MIDI applications, that was one of my favorites.)

ldv-01

Postby ldv-01 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:12 am

Attached the KARA4TOS archive. FYI, I found it in a floppyshop disk (FALC-5370). KARA4TOS It is a MID and KAR TTP player. To run it in EmuTOS, copy the 68KEMU.PRG (from FireBee setup) to the KARA4TOS folder and rename it to 68KEMU.TTP. Run 68KEMU.TTP and pass as a parameter: KARA4TOS.TTP FILENAME.MID (Just replace FILENAME.MID with the SMF MID/KAR of your choice). BTW, timing seems pretty accurate.. About FireBee MIDI. The MIDI port is a standard Mini Din 6 socked. MIDI OUT are pins 6-4 (up-left), MIDI IN pins 2-1 (bottom-center) and MIDI THRU pins 5-3 (up-right). You can verify if you have MIDI OUT with a MIDI tested (a Led will do the job). FYI, I had to add in my MIDI chain a THRU BOX with schmitt trigger IC (my device is a KENTON THRU5 box) to improve the MIDI OUT signal.

Ldv

sashapont wrote:
ldv-01 wrote:In EmuTOS (FireBee) midi apps running via the 68K emulator are very few. You can try Midiview (Midi in monitor) and Kara4tos (Midi file player).

Hi! Where I can find Kara4Tos?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sashapont

Postby sashapont » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:54 pm

Is it possible to listen midi files on fire bee without additional midi devises?
I try to execute karatos but there are nothing sound
Atari Falcon, Firebee

AdamK
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby AdamK » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:03 am

No, it is not possible. MIDI does not work that way.
Atari: FireBee, Falcon030 + CT60e + SuperVidel + SvEthlana, TT, 520ST + 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + SC1435, 1040STFM + UltraSatan + SM124, 1040STE 4MB ST RAM + 8MB TT RAM + CosmosEx + NetUSBee + SM144 + SC1224, 65XE + U1MB + VBXE + SIDE2, Jaguar, Lynx II, 2 x Portfolio (HPC-006)

Adam Klobukowski [adamklobukowski@gmail.com]

ldv-01

Postby ldv-01 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:09 am

No, you need an external MIDI device. The few midi players with sound support available on the Atari platform (PH Player, EPSS.. ) doesn't run on the FB.

sashapont wrote:Is it possible to listen midi files on fire bee without additional midi devises?
I try to execute karatos but there are nothing sound

sashapont

Postby sashapont » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:55 am

ldv-01 wrote:No, you need an external MIDI device. The few midi players with sound support available on the Atari platform (PH Player, EPSS.. ) doesn't run on the FB.

Can you advice midi device that works with firebee?
Atari Falcon, Firebee

ldv-01

Postby ldv-01 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:33 pm

Hi,
Any electronic musical instrument with a midi interface (DIN connector) should be able to communicate with the FireBee (Just like any other Ataris, as an internal virtual synth mapped to Midi OUT is not available). To play easily most MIDI files you need a musical instrument (device) at least compatible with the GM1 standard. If you have a firend musician, I suggest ask advice and lend from him a MIDI instrument.
FYI, in my latest MIDI tests on the FireBee I used as MIDI slave an iPAD with the iRig Midi2 interface and the Roland Sound Canvas app (also available on android), but there are countless options.

Ldv

sashapont wrote:
ldv-01 wrote:No, you need an external MIDI device. The few midi players with sound support available on the Atari platform (PH Player, EPSS.. ) doesn't run on the FB.

Can you advice midi device that works with firebee?

ldv-01

Postby ldv-01 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:44 pm

Is mmouse similar to Midisquare by Dave Snow ? Midisquare was rewritten in C language (and works in FireTOS).
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/mirro ... idisq2.zip

Eero Tamminen wrote:

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:27 pm

ldv-01 wrote:Is mmouse similar to Midisquare by Dave Snow ? Midisquare was rewritten in C language (and works in FireTOS).

Thanks, I didn't know about this, and yes, it's quite similar.

Only odd things were the weird noise between octaves when moving mouse horizontally, and some issue with key handling, at least with EmuTOS.

(After while, program starts beeping after every key press, so I guess it doesn't actually read the keys.)

ldv-01

Postby ldv-01 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:36 am

Hi,
Thanks. Didn't tested in EmuTOS. Midsq2 C sources (gcc 2.95.3) are included in the archive. I guess should be possible to fix problems and build a Coldifire Native version. I'll test again in FireTOS if I can replicate the odd keypress behaviour..

Eero Tamminen wrote:
ldv-01 wrote:Is mmouse similar to Midisquare by Dave Snow ? Midisquare was rewritten in C language (and works in FireTOS).

Only odd things were the weird noise between octaves when moving mouse horizontally, and some issue with key handling, at least with EmuTOS.

(After while, program starts beeping after every key press, so I guess it doesn't actually read the keys.)

ldv-01

Postby ldv-01 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:50 am

Tested again in FireTOS. I can’t replicate the issues you experienced. The only problem I found are the dialers of settings (tempo, etc) that scroll the values too fast and need to be slowed down in the code. The record option also works and save a .mid file .
Eero Tamminen wrote:

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:31 pm

I was testing Midisq2 under Hatari (Git build) ST / mono emulation with EmuTOS 0.9.12 using FluidSynth as MIDI device on host Linux.

Differs quite a bit from FireTOS on Firebee... :-)

Social Media

Return to “FireBee”