Status of second run Firebees

All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, [ProToS], moondog/.tSCc., Galvez, Moderator Team

Xyla
Atari nerd
Atari nerd
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:27 pm

Status of second run Firebees

Postby Xyla » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:43 pm

Can anyone tell me what the situation is with buying a new Firebee?

I preordered a Firebee for the second run, then there was a huge delay... then there was the issue with the boards not working. I got very, very busy with other things, and I never received any email updates. Now I am trying to figure out what happened.

Medusa Computer has Firebees available to buy on their site. Does this mean the new Firebees are up for sale? Like I said, I did a preorder, but I only committed to buy, I didn't pay for it yet.

Also, Firebee.org is very confusing the way the news posts are. I can't really figure out what is the latest.

Long story short, I'd really like to buy my Firebee now if it exists.

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 653
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Vienna

Re: Status of second run Firebees

Postby Mathias » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:17 am

Hi Xyla,

of course you Firebee exists! ;) It is working well and waiting for shipping. We are shipping the boards slowly since August this year. Best is if you contact us by mail so that we can talk about the payment.
And no, there are no further FireBees for sale from Medusa. We are sold out at the moment. We already have a "waiting list" to see if some preordering people do not like to pay.

And about firebee.org I do not understand you. The news all got a date, and the latest one is the very first one that is at the top and has a bigger field than other news. So you can immeditly see from when the news are. Where is the problem exactly? Perhaps the webmaster can talk to you here as well. ;)
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:39 pm

Re: Status of second run Firebees

Postby vido » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:17 am

Xyla wrote:Also, Firebee.org is very confusing the way the news posts are. I can't really figure out what is the latest.

Well ..., what exactly is confusing?

warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Status of second run Firebees

Postby warp12 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:31 pm

I hate to ask, but...

I think it has been close to 2 years since I got on the list. And, well, just wonder...are you still working to fulfill orders? I am not rushing, just asking...
Shane

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 653
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Vienna

Re: Status of second run Firebees

Postby Mathias » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:49 pm

If you do not like to rush, why are you asking publicly?
So yes, we are damn slow with delivering. We are doing everything in our spare time as you know. Nobody is earning anything. So, once again: all FireBees are produced and work well for a very long time now (after the rework), we are just slow with communication and shipping. If you like to blame somebody, blame the server admins who made our live as complicated as possible. If you decide to agree that you are nevertheless rushing, drop us a mail and get your board immediatly (not according to your preorder). That is what I am offering to all people who are tired about waiting the last months.
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

mzry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:39 pm

Re: Status of second run Firebees

Postby mzry » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:12 am

Warp asked in such a polite way I'm kind of shocked by the aggressive answer he got. Two years and he still asks politely, gets slammed down. With all the negative stuff surrounding firebee on this forum lately there's no chance I'd ever trust these people.
Falcon ct63e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - SCSI2SD - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64

User avatar
Gaiyan
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru
Posts: 337
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:39 pm
Contact:

Re: Status of second run Firebees

Postby Gaiyan » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:55 am

Mathias wrote:If you do not like to rush, why are you asking publicly?
So yes, we are damn slow with delivering. We are doing everything in our spare time as you know. Nobody is earning anything. So, once again: all FireBees are produced and work well for a very long time now (after the rework), we are just slow with communication and shipping. If you like to blame somebody, blame the server admins who made our live as complicated as possible. If you decide to agree that you are nevertheless rushing, drop us a mail and get your board immediatly (not according to your preorder). That is what I am offering to all people who are tired about waiting the last months.


Great job with PR.
Image

User avatar
jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 861
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:55 pm
Location: Liège, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Status of second run Firebees

Postby jfl » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:58 am

mzry wrote:Warp asked in such a polite way I'm kind of shocked by the aggressive answer he got. Two years and he still asks politely, gets slammed down.

I agree. Shane's query was very polite. Mathias, you should chill out a bit :|
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 653
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Vienna

Re: Status of second run Firebees

Postby Mathias » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:00 am

mzry wrote:Warp asked in such a polite way
What Warp did was not to ask politely. If he would have been just interrested, he would have sent a mail like everybody else who needs informations (and who is not already informed by other postings here, the Firebee website or other informations channels). What he did was to create public pressure, in full awareness! don't tell me that you don't get this fact.

mzry wrote:I'm kind of shocked by the aggressive answer he got. Two years and he still asks politely, gets slammed down.
After 10 years of putting all my spare time into the project and trying to support the plattform as far as possible, I am really not opened to games, manipulation, public pressure and such stuff. There are so many parts of the project, so many helpful people trying to move things foreward. There are so many parts of such a project which have to align, work together and, also there are dependencies where individuals are powerless. If people like you do not get what such a huge Open Hardware project is all about, I cannot help. I am just the crazy guy who is standing in the forefront. Think about the fact why developers are nearly never the ones who communicate, or more drastically needs to get breaked clear from the public, the "community"?

mzry wrote:With all the negative stuff surrounding firebee on this forum lately
So ask yourselve what you are doing with this sentence! Ask yourselve what "all" is, especially concerning a non-commercial Open Hardware project, where a lot of people try to work together for free.

mzry wrote:there's no chance I'd ever trust these people.

Of course you do not need to trust "these people". Several other hundrets do. I was always as transparent as possible.

Gaiyan wrote:Great job with PR.

One of the few nice things at a project aside the "market" is, I do not have to care about "PR" in the end. We are all human beings, we are working together to have new hardware for our beloved plattform. It is not a thing for the profit of anybody. The project is free and also opened to everybody. You can help immediatly if you like. That means, we do not have to play a company or do, like if we are something that we are not in reality. And I am quite sure that this direct contact, this feeling that we are real persons and that we are quite near to all of you (at least we are out of the community), is our success. Or would you really preferre if I write crap like "thanks for your question" "how can I assist you", bla bla ? ;)
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 653
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Vienna

Re: Status of second run Firebees

Postby Mathias » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:13 am

jfl wrote: Mathias, you should chill out a bit :|

Of course I could start to chill immediatly, and do nothing anymore. But I am not sure if the people who are waiting for their machines would like me to do so. ;)
And once again, the question wasn't polite. It was a public accusion to create public pressure! And I will not accept this in silence after everything I did. You for example know that I am usually a nice guy as we had so much communicstion the lase years.
That means the more crazy requests there are, the longer it takes me to do my usual tasks. And belive me, now that the majority of preorders are from within the USA there are a lot of crazy requests, treating us like an xy company or awaiting "how-do-I-use-Ataris-support" from the FireBee. All this while still the most users are absolute polite, and 100% patient! Most of you are still great and give power to go on day for day.
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:39 pm

Re: Status of second run Firebees

Postby vido » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:34 am

mzry wrote:Warp asked in such a polite way I'm kind of shocked by the aggressive answer he got. Two years and he still asks politely, gets slammed down. With all the negative stuff surrounding firebee on this forum lately there's no chance I'd ever trust these people.

This is much more negative comment as Mathias answer!
You just dont get it what FireBee project is and with this comment you just become most negative person involved into this project!
I have nothig to comment on Warp. I believe he is a nice person as Mathias is in real life ... :)

User avatar
jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 861
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:55 pm
Location: Liège, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Status of second run Firebees

Postby jfl » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:22 am

vido wrote:I believe he is a nice person as Mathias is in real life ... :)

To be fair, Mathias is a nice person on the web too :wink:
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

ranix
Atari maniac
Atari maniac
Posts: 95
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:01 pm

Re: Status of second run Firebees

Postby ranix » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:58 am

it's a lot easier to back down and de-escalate than it is to dig a hole

mikro
Atari God
Atari God
Posts: 1738
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:11 am
Location: Kosice, Slovakia
Contact:

Re: Status of second run Firebees

Postby mikro » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:10 am

I can also confirm that Mathias is a nice person and surely doesn't want to rip people off.

However sometimes he makes decisions I simply can't understand (like messing with some server which had been falling apart since like 5 years ago instead of using Gmail-like service for which the explanation of not using it was "doesn't work on Mac OS 8" or something similar). That simply hurts his efforts to engage Atari developers, customers and general "trust" from Atari community because the end result is 'things not working and people getting upset' (incl. Mathias).

But really, the FireBee project is an honest initiative and it really mainly suffers for lack of manpower doing even the simplest things, so don't be too harsh on Mathias & guys around the project.

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:39 pm

Re: Status of second run Firebees

Postby vido » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:16 am

jfl wrote:
vido wrote:I believe he is a nice person as Mathias is in real life ... :)

To be fair, Mathias is a nice person on the web too :wink:

Well ... I tought real life includes also web and web doesnt include also real life ;)
But that is my interpretation so thanks to point that out! :)

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 603
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:39 pm

Re: Status of second run Firebees

Postby vido » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:23 am

mikro wrote:I can also confirm that Mathias is a nice person and surely doesn't want to rip people off.

However sometimes he makes decisions I simply can't understand (like messing with some server which had been falling apart since like 5 years ago instead of using Gmail-like service for which the explanation of not using it was "doesn't work on Mac OS 8" or something similar). That simply hurts his efforts to engage Atari developers, customers and general "trust" from Atari community because the end result is 'things not working and people getting upset' (incl. Mathias).

But really, the FireBee project is an honest initiative and it really mainly suffers for lack of manpower doing even the simplest things, so don't be too harsh on Mathias & guys around the project.

My toughts exactly except that any one can help him and take initiative for parts he thinks he/she can do better. I believe Mathias would be happy to take some work from his chest. But it is easyer to observe, wait and comment ... Including me.

warp12
Atari maniac
Atari maniac
Posts: 90
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Status of second run Firebees

Postby warp12 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:49 pm

Mathias wrote:
mzry wrote:Warp asked in such a polite way
What Warp did was not to ask politely. If he would have been just interrested, he would have sent a mail like everybody else who needs informations (and who is not already informed by other postings here, the Firebee website or other informations channels). What he did was to create public pressure, in full awareness! don't tell me that you don't get this fact.


Quite honestly, Mathias, you are mistaken, I'm afraid. Although I don't follow this forum very closely, I ask about this Firebee every 3-4 months. I typically ask in the forum, because emailing has been sporadic in the past. Sometimes you can't reach me, sometimes I can't reach you. I am not sure about the server or filter issues, nor do I really care. I have always gotten a fair response in the forum.

At any rate, I am moving on to other adventures. So, that means that some other lucky owner can take my place. Please cancel my order (I should be under the email, "Shane@Warp12racing.com"). Best wishes for you, this project, and all of the users!! :)
Shane

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero
Posts: 653
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:51 pm
Location: Vienna

Re: Status of second run Firebees

Postby Mathias » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:52 pm

warp12 wrote:Please cancel my order


Seriously? You are expecting me to take orders, or cancellings by a public forum posting? Usually a preorder is bindingly. I am sure we will find a solution as there are a lot of people waiting for another free machine, But you have to contact the project: acpinfo at firebee dot org
My wish to support users and that I read even this forum here from time to time, does not mean that I am at every ones command. Please remember everybody is "working" in spare time, and for free.
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

azzyish12
Atarian
Atarian
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:33 pm

Re: Status of second run Firebees

Postby azzyish12 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:24 pm

Xyla wrote:Can anyone tell me what the situation is with buying a new Firebee?

I preordered a Firebee for the second run, then there was a huge delay... then there was the issue with the boards not working. I got very, very busy with other things, and I never received any email updates. Now I am trying to figure out what happened.

Medusa Computer has Firebees available to buy on their site. Does this mean the new Firebees are up for sale? Like I said, I did a preorder, but I only committed to buy, I didn't pay for it yet.
Notepad++ Malwarebytes FileZilla
Also, Firebee.org is very confusing the way the news posts are. I can't really figure out what is the latest.

Long story short, I'd really like to buy my Firebee now if it exists.

I don't comprehend you. The news all got a date, and the most recent one is the specific initial one that is at the best and has a greater field than different news. So you can immeditly observe from when the news are. Where is the issue precisely? Maybe the website admin can converse with you here also.


Social Media

     

Return to “FireBee”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests