What does this Screen Mean?

All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Galvez, Moderator Team

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

What does this Screen Mean?

Postby fmh » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:45 pm

Title says it all. What is the FireBee trying to tell me here?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: What does this Screen Mean?

Postby wongck » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:27 am

Weird. I do not get this on my firebee (at least I do not remember). I get it on my ct63/ctpci with some graphic cards. I think the video memory not cleared before switching to a different graphic mode (like high graphics to lower graphic).
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:46 pm

This was during a cold boot. I turned it on and selected TOS404 for MiNT and got this. I had to power it down and back on as it locked at the screen you see here. Only reason I posted this is because the Screen Resolution Test Pattern didn't make sense to me so I figured this screen is telling me something that is not obvious to me. Could be related to the EMUTOS boot to reset to continue bug.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

SweYC
Atariator
Atariator

Postby SweYC » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:35 am

Hi

Im seeing a lot of those, together with other weirdness... Usually after ctrl/alt/del reset, once at boot and rare if start weird application.... Did you find out why this happens and what it means?

Janez

SweYC
Atariator
Atariator

Postby SweYC » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:36 am

Forgot to mention, after this appear at reset, CF is not found until i switch firebee off and on...

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:18 am

Hey,

did you try also any other CF?
Did you try and other NVRAM settings?

Are you using n.AES?

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:26 am

I can't tell you why but I can tell you what -- it's a standard screen you get if you set a hicolour resolution and start filling video ram with $0000, $0001, $0002, ... ;-)

SweYC
Atariator
Atariator

Postby SweYC » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:20 am

vido wrote:Hey,

did you try also any other CF?
Did you try and other NVRAM settings?

Are you using n.AES?

Hello,

Atm im using N.AES, but 1st time it happened in XaAES, when i did a reset (key combo)... Its not common, but few times i saw that at rebooting, and once at boot time... I did chnage NVRAM settings, can not tell when this happened...

Right now i flashed 2014 Firetos, so will see what happens now...

Janez

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:36 am

Ok. Then n.AES is not the problem. Reflashin FireTOS is good idea. And if it wont help also mybe reflashing BAS. But you have to be carefull with that. At least I had big problems with that.

SweYC
Atariator
Atariator

Postby SweYC » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:43 am

vido wrote:Ok. Then n.AES is not the problem. Reflashin FireTOS is good idea. And if it wont help also mybe reflashing BAS. But you have to be carefull with that. At least I had big problems with that.

Thats why i didnt do that :)

SweYC
Atariator
Atariator

Postby SweYC » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:25 pm

vido wrote:Ok. Then n.AES is not the problem. Reflashin FireTOS is good idea. And if it wont help also mybe reflashing BAS. But you have to be carefull with that. At least I had big problems with that.

As nothing really helped, on end i reflashed BAS as well, version from firebee.org 0.9.3... It fixed things permanently... no reset, boot or any problems at all... As it wont boot anymore. I was carefull, as u can be with flash tool. Press ok an pray

Janez

fmh
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby fmh » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:34 am

That doesn't sound good. I reflashed my FireBee too around this time and it did not go well either. Took me a couple of days of trying to get it working properly again. Right now my FireBee runs but I still think it is not 100% what it should be but it does run.

Good Luck with your machine.
Atari Gamer
FireBee

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mfro » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:11 am

SweYC wrote:As nothing really helped, on end i reflashed BAS as well, version from firebee.org 0.9.3... It fixed things permanently... no reset, boot or any problems at all... As it wont boot anymore. I was carefull, as u can be with flash tool. Press ok an pray
Janez

If you have problems with FireTOS, it usually doesn't help to flash a newer BaS(_gcc). You just run the risk of bricking your machine if something goes wrong during the flash process.

First aid is to connect a terminal to your serial port and post the output. BaS_gcc spits out lots of diagnostic messages there during boot up. Please post them, they may help to identify the problem.

Please realize that BaS is the very first code that runs when you switch on the machine. If you manage to break it somehow, chances are it won't boot anymore. Your last option would then be a BDM cable (hard to get by these days, unfortunately) which allows direct flashing from another machine.

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:52 am

I have TBLCF now and I will lend it to Swe. I just never used it till now. We will have to figure out how :)

SweYC
Atariator
Atariator

Postby SweYC » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:34 am

mfro wrote:
SweYC wrote:As nothing really helped, on end i reflashed BAS as well, version from firebee.org 0.9.3... It fixed things permanently... no reset, boot or any problems at all... As it wont boot anymore. I was carefull, as u can be with flash tool. Press ok an pray
Janez

If you have problems with FireTOS, it usually doesn't help to flash a newer BaS(_gcc). You just run the risk of bricking your machine if something goes wrong during the flash process.

First aid is to connect a terminal to your serial port and post the output. BaS_gcc spits out lots of diagnostic messages there during boot up. Please post them, they may help to identify the problem.

Please realize that BaS is the very first code that runs when you switch on the machine. If you manage to break it somehow, chances are it won't boot anymore. Your last option would then be a BDM cable (hard to get by these days, unfortunately) which allows direct flashing from another machine.

I realise that now, but if BAS falshing is tricky, there could be a note of warning in the archive.... I choosed to flash BAS because i had rainbow sreen at boot on 2 occasions... Anyway, the flashing proces went ok, and finished normally, so itwasn not incomplete flash. All i can say at this moment is that machine switch on, the orange led near rj12 start to blink a bit faster, the orange led near sata start to blink and after few secs, led near sd card blinks. at that point it stops, monitor can get a signal...

Also, how could i manage to break BAS somehow by starting flasher, load bas from firebee.org link, and flash it. Flasher completed the job, i didnt mess with machine during the process, and that was it. black screen.

Janez

SweYC
Atariator
Atariator

Postby SweYC » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:26 am

vido wrote:I have TBLCF now and I will lend it to Swe. I just never used it till now. We will have to figure out how :)

We did figure it out how :) Using Freescale's CF Flasher with H_TBLCF protocol drivers. So BaS reflashed, Firebee works again! THX for all your help!

Janez

Social Media

Return to “FireBee”