Proper way to install Unix commandline tools?

All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Galvez, Moderator Team

tordj
Atariator
Atariator

Proper way to install Unix commandline tools?

Postby tordj » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:14 am

What is the recommended "proper" way to install Vincent's compiled packages of popular Unix tools under the standard MiNT configuration that comes preloaded with the FireBee?

I've been playing around and looking for information and as far as I understand I need to put the packages on D: and extract them there so that I don't destroy the file flags for execution and such. My solution has been to extract them all in D: root so that I end up with /d/bin and /d/usr/. Then I have configured the PATH variable for MiNT in MINT.CNF to include /d/bin/ and /d/usr/bin/.

This kind of works, but there is a lot of small issues:

1. I need to create a links to /d/bin and /d/usr/ in u: so that tools that are expecting to find things in /bin/... or /usr/... can do that. This works, but I have to redo that every time I start the computer (guess I can put that into MINT.CNF as well).
2. I don't get proper command completion in Bash, only the built in commands are displayed when I press tab twice.
3. Bash is badly configured, no command history or possibility to correct an error without deleting everything between it and the cursor (cursor keys don't seem to work), makes me believe that some configuration file is not found as it should.

These problems and the fact that there already is what appears to be the start of a proper unix structure in c:\mint\sys with an existing instance of bash and echo makes me believe that there probably is a better way to do this. Could anyone enlighten men please? :)

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Proper way to install Unix commandline tools?

Postby jfl » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:46 pm

tordj wrote:What is the recommended "proper" way to install Vincent's compiled packages of popular Unix tools under the standard MiNT configuration that comes preloaded with the FireBee?

I've been playing around and looking for information and as far as I understand I need to put the packages on D: and extract them there so that I don't destroy the file flags for execution and such. My solution has been to extract them all in D: root so that I end up with /d/bin and /d/usr/. Then I have configured the PATH variable for MiNT in MINT.CNF to include /d/bin/ and /d/usr/bin/.

This kind of works, but there is a lot of small issues:

1. I need to create a links to /d/bin and /d/usr/ in u: so that tools that are expecting to find things in /bin/... or /usr/... can do that. This works, but I have to redo that every time I start the computer (guess I can put that into MINT.CNF as well).
2. I don't get proper command completion in Bash, only the built in commands are displayed when I press tab twice.
3. Bash is badly configured, no command history or possibility to correct an error without deleting everything between it and the cursor (cursor keys don't seem to work), makes me believe that some configuration file is not found as it should.

What you are doing is basically correct. Just make sure your D: partition is formatted ext2 (it can be any other partition, though, not specifically D:). You can maybe make your life somewhat easier by installing either the big Gentoo archive and then configuring some stuff by hand (which I did, so I get to keep the basic official FreeMiNT setup mostly unchanged) and then install Vincent's ColdFire versions; or, if you are not experienced enough, install EasyMiNT, which has just been released for the FireBee. It really depends on what you want to do.

Bash behaved strangely for me too until I upgraded it and/or modified some configuration. I really cannot remember :(
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:53 pm

BASH under 1-18-0 definitely had the same behaviour on my system. Pretty sure 1-18-1 is ok. I'm certain that 1-19-cur is fine. Think it was a bug with TOSWIN2, but I could very well be wrong of course!
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Faucon2001 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:41 pm

tordj wrote:What is the recommended "proper" way to install Vincent's compiled packages of popular Unix tools under the standard MiNT configuration that comes preloaded with the FireBee?

The easiest way is to install Easymint and after update it with Vincent port. The update will have to be manual as many Vincent ports installed by default in /usr/bin in place of /bin.
http://atari.st-katharina-apotheke.de/h ... e=easymint

Basically you have to set the permanent links in mint.cnf for the U: drive, which will behave as a pseudo root system with : sln d:/bin u:/bin ...
In the PATH variable you will declare /bin, /usr/bin and not the real drive path
On your ext2 drive you will need to create all the other necessary NIX directories, like /home, /root /etc ... And link them also to u:/
This should solve your issue with bash.
Also install a recent TOSWIN2, the one in the 1.18.0 package has some glitches.

You can have a look at Wongck page which has a very good "how to"
https://sites.google.com/site/probehous ... -for-atari
And Freemint wiki : http://wiki.sparemint.org/index.php/Main_Page
Philippe

Firebee, Falcon, STE, Aranym Box, Hatari Pi Box.
My music http://www.philippeworld.net/
My photography http://phil-67.deviantart.com/
EasyAraMint, BeeKey and BeePi https://sites.google.com/site/beebox68k/

tordj
Atariator
Atariator

Postby tordj » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:47 am

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Now I have a clear picture of how it should be and how to get it like that in an easy way. :)

Social Media

Return to “FireBee”