Firebee and Toswin2

All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Galvez, Moderator Team

oehansen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Firebee and Toswin2

Postby oehansen » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:01 am

What is the issue with Toswin ... it doesn't work, as an emulator. If I try to use VIM, or any other program that uses direct escape sequences. These aren't reported from the keyboard, so I can't use emacs, or micro emacs or anything else. While I am on the firebee, this isn't a big issue, but when I ssh to a remote box, it does become an issue.

Anybody know of a work around, to have toswin2 work?

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Firebee and Toswin2

Postby jfl » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:49 am

oehansen wrote:What is the issue with Toswin ... it doesn't work, as an emulator. If I try to use VIM, or any other program that uses direct escape sequences. These aren't reported from the keyboard, so I can't use emacs, or micro emacs or anything else. While I am on the firebee, this isn't a big issue, but when I ssh to a remote box, it does become an issue.

I did a quick test by ssh'ing to my Linux box and editing a file with vim and I didn't notice any problems -- but I'm no vim expert. There may be several versions of TosWin2 floating around, some more bug-fixed than others. What version are you using?
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

oehansen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby oehansen » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:16 am

I am using the latest, from august 15th. And freemint 1.19-cur.

It works, that is windows appear correct and all that. Just using the cursor keys inside it, doesn't work. Appears as if they don't generate any code. I set my term to tw100.

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mfro » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:28 am

Actually, naming the vt100 terminal in TOSWIN something else than vt100 was probably not the brightest design decision initially.

Are you sure you have a tw100 terminal definition in your terminfo database?

Try linking one of the /usr/share/terminfo/v/vt100* terminal definitions to /usr/share/terminfo/t/tw100 or (better) use tic to compile the "real" definitions located in the freemint source tree (tools/toswin2/twterm.src) into your terminfo database.

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:49 am

oehansen wrote:It works, that is windows appear correct and all that. Just using the cursor keys inside it, doesn't work. Appears as if they don't generate any code. I set my term to tw100.

This definitely works for me. Maybe try this version, the same I have?
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

oehansen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby oehansen » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:09 am

Yeb, your version works ... the version I have, which is the version from 1-18-1 distribution, as well as 1-18-0. Do not however.

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:31 pm

I have 2 issues with toswin2 on my FireBee setup (no FreeMiNT complete install, just the FireBee initial setup). I tried with the latest build, but no changes.

- logging to file U:/ram/console.log doesn't seem to work.
- evenif "at ouput" is enabled, when the console window is closed, the text is printed directly on screen. Is not the console window supposed to open automaticaly when an output is about to be displayed?

This second issue was a bit annoying when I leaved my FireBee to free tests in the Alchimie 0xb convention: dirty and messy scrolling when the text arrived at screen bottom (I was too occupied with the party organization that I could not reopen the console window, people thought it was an huge bug).

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:13 pm

Rajah Lone wrote:I have 2 issues with toswin2 on my FireBee setup (no FreeMiNT complete install, just the FireBee initial setup). I tried with the latest build, but no changes.
- logging to file U:/ram/console.log doesn't seem to work.
- evenif "at ouput" is enabled, when the console window is closed, the text is printed directly on screen. Is not the console window supposed to open automaticaly when an output is about to be displayed?

It's the same for me. TosWin2 has been in need of some love for a while now. I always have a small console window opened so it doesn't bother me.

I know Helmut hacked it somewhat to speed the display up among other things so maybe these bugs you mention were fixed also. I don't know where he keeps his version but I'm sure he'll send it to you if you ask him directly.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

helmut
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby helmut » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:31 pm

An old version can be found here:

http://home.arcor.de/zabruder/atari/tools/toswin26.zip

Meanwhile I've further improved it, so the above is surely outdated. Once I got vttest running, and some other unfinished things done, I'll update the above. I cannot tell if it fixes any of the issues mentioned.

-Helmut

Galvez
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Galvez » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:32 am

helmut wrote:An old version can be found here:

http://home.arcor.de/zabruder/atari/tools/toswin26.zip

Meanwhile I've further improved it, so the above is surely outdated. Once I got vttest running, and some other unfinished things done, I'll update the above. I cannot tell if it fixes any of the issues mentioned.

Why don't you commit those improvements into the CVS?

helmut
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby helmut » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:42 pm

It's derived from 2.6, but I guess I'll commit it some day anyway, though don't feel it's very urgent.

-Helmut

Galvez
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Galvez » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:30 am

jfl wrote:
oehansen wrote:It works, that is windows appear correct and all that. Just using the cursor keys inside it, doesn't work. Appears as if they don't generate any code. I set my term to tw100.

This definitely works for me. Maybe try this version, the same I have?

I've stumbled into this issue with the same binary linked above, arrow keys not working, it seems to be something related with the config file, deleting the file and creating a new one fixed the problem.

Social Media

Return to “FireBee”