My idea for a case

All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, [ProToS], moondog/.tSCc., Galvez, Moderator Team

Re: DVD and optical media for storage

Postby wongck » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:55 am

Shredder11 wrote: and I no longer trust optical media for this purpose!

Wait till you keep your HDD in a box in the cupboard for a year or so and forgot about it.
Handle the box in a bad way and you suddenly realise that you should have use DVD instead. :lol:
My Stuff: Falcon CT63+CTPCI ATI R7500 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD EtherNEC/ FB/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: My idea for a case

Postby wongck » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:58 am

Dal wrote:Didn't Sony buy the design from Atari and based the playstation on it? Or was that a rumour?

To me, there are elements of the original playstation, ps2 and even ps3 that I see
In the microbox... Surely this can't be a coincidence?

Not sure about buying.... may be they paid royalties for it.
There PS2 design doc had a mention of it.
My Stuff: Falcon CT63+CTPCI ATI R7500 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD EtherNEC/ FB/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Shredder11 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:42 pm

wongck wrote:
Shredder11 wrote: and I no longer trust optical media for this purpose!

Wait till you keep your HDD in a box in the cupboard for a year or so and forgot about it.
Handle the box in a bad way and you suddenly realise that you should have use DVD instead. :lol:

Yep no backup method is foolproof but out of everything I have used over the last thirty years or so, the hard drive has been the best. Also when re-writeable optical media first came out, many people complained about how unreliable they were and yet for me, they have been the most reliable of all the optical formats! Anyway regards the Atari, sadly I do not expect my vintage computers to outlast the media or backups... :cry:
Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby wongck » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:47 pm

Shredder11 wrote:Yep no backup method is foolproof but out of everything I have used over the last thirty years or so, the hard drive has been the best. Also when re-writeable optical media first came out, many people complained about how unreliable they were and yet for me, they have been the most reliable of all the optical formats! Anyway regards the Atari, sadly I do not expect my vintage computers to outlast the media or backups... :cry:

Most reliable media are WORM. I had access to a WORM drive once and they are expensive so was quickly replaced by CD/DVD. Even SAP archiving are done by DVD nowadays (with multiple copies). When properly indexed, they allow fast retrieve even when offline (they called it nearline :lol: :lol:).

For most reliableness on DVD, write at the lowest speed possible so that the etch pits are as square as possible. Slight reflow of the dye will happen but will not degrade as much. I have CD-R that seems last longer as the pits are "bigger"?.

Another possibility is SSD. But electro migration and lost charge studies are inconclusive. Just need one major industrial player to up the ante by saying their SSD can keep the charge for 50years... :mrgreen:
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby Shredder11 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:31 am

The vast majority of my discs have been done at 4x for DVD 8x media, and at 2.4x or less with dual layer 8x media. For CDR 52x media I usually do them at 16x or less. I think if anything it is more to do with the quality of the batch of discs you get; the brand and dye type; the firmware and brand of writer and which discs it prefers. Write speeds for me have never seemed to matter too much, apart from controlling the realtime buffer cache on the writer (making sure it stays full and constant).
Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby joska » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:43 am

the_mighty_quinn wrote:Genius! the Mega ST case would be easier to build, it would deal with the keyboard problem, it looks amazing and it keeps to the whole Atari feel of the past.

The Mega-case is pretty big, much bigger than the Firebee. Perhaps a scaled-down version would be better. Should be pretty easy too, as it's basically just a square box.
Jo Even

Firebee - Milan060 - Falcon040 - Falcon030 - FreeMiNT - XaAES - MIST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64
joska
Atari God
Atari God

Postby wongck » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:08 am

Shredder11 wrote:I think if anything it is more to do with the quality of the batch of discs you get; the brand and dye type;

I totally agree on this.
There was a site that specify the manufacturer code and which material/dye it uses.
Cross reference with some code written on the media (but may be fake as well).
Some of those disk I had was called "land fill material" by that site :lol: .
wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby lschafroth » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:38 pm

Mathias wrote:Several users suggested such a keyboard case. But you have to be aware that the keyboard cases were critisized very often the late 90ies. So it is a idea for only some users. Maybe there is a chance. But as it needs much custom design it will not be possible below 200,- Euros. Let´s see in summer if someone is really caring about it.

Surely we can come up with something better than what has been shown. It looks like a black box you tuck under the shelve in a server room. Not very pretty.

Maybe a combination of the TT/Mega STE design but vertical, or more slimline.

Lannie
lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mathias » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:15 pm

lschafroth wrote:Surely we can come up with
Can we?

lschafroth wrote:something better than what has been shown.
Well, ... thank you.

lschafroth wrote:It looks […] Not very pretty
Gladly "liking" is not standardised. Half of the FireBee Customers seem to take one. Maybe you will get a better idea when you see the final ones with good pictures.

lschafroth wrote:Maybe a combination of the TT/Mega STE design but vertical, or more slimline.
Why not. Go on and present your ideas! Try to find cheap production possibilities and some people will love you.
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.
Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Previous

Return to FireBee