All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Galvez, Moderator Team

goev
Atariator
Atariator

Problems with booting from CF-cards: "No boot found"

Postby goev » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:39 am

Hi guys!

Finally, my FireBee arrived yesterday! On top of that joyful moment, my brand new LCD-driver arrived too. It's for a 15,4" 1600x1050 panel from a donor Dell-laptop, so now a FireBee-laptop might be in reach :D But that's another story...

This post is about me having some problems booting from my CF-cards.
I've got three CF-cards: One I use on my falcon, formatted with HD-driver, and two are formatted as MSDOS with the first partition as 508MB, FAT16 with boot flag using GParted on Linux. I've also tried formatting on OSX and Windows, but with no result.

The "Falcon" CF is a 2GB Sandisk Ultra II CF, and the FireBee (with FireTos) won't boot automatic, but I can choose from one of the four partitions and boot. This card is a card I don't want to mess up, so I will not alter anything there.

The other two, an Apacer 8GB PhotoSteno III 150x and a 1GB TwinMos Ultra-X 70x wont boot at all. I had some luck the first time with the 8GB card, but my MiNT installation (which is a copy of Jo Even's) stopped early on for reasons I don't remember. And now after reformatting the card, it just says "no boot found".

For information, I use a regular usb card reader to format the cards.

I can boot from SD-card, but MiNT don't boot very well from it yet and I really want the CF-cards to work.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Geir

- goev
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FireBee, Falcon AB040, Mega ST, STE, Stacy, ST, Jaguar, Lynx

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Re: Problems with booting from CF-cards: "No boot found"

Postby wongck » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:58 am

Looks like another case of Sandisk works fine.
Look here: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20749&p=183886&hilit=sandisk#p183883
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Galvez
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Galvez » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:02 pm

While booting when you see the PCI info on the screen press key "C", a menu to configure your boot will show, then choose one of the "new boot" options instead "old boot".
To avoid do this in every boot, you should edit the FireTOS cpx.

I hope is this your problem.

Time for FireBee FAQ :-)

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:16 pm

Galvez wrote:Time for FireBee FAQ :-)

Already had a section for FireBee in the wiki since last week but was empty.
Your posting is the 1st entry.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:57 pm

Geir, please do not use your "Falcon CF". HDDriver is not ready for use together with the FireBee (or the FireBee is not ready to use with HDDriver ;) ). To avoid damage of your CF please just use cards you always can reformat. I also use GParted on Linux for working CF cards at the FireBee recently. DOS filesystem and FAT 16 Partitions below 512 MB, Bootflag at C and everything works well here.
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

goev
Atariator
Atariator

Postby goev » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:04 pm

Don't worry Mathias, I just tried booting with my Falcon CF since none of the others did work :)

The trick with pressing the C-key at boot and choosing "New boot" did the trick. Thanks alot Galvez! :cheers:

I also had some other issues on top of this because I used a Mac to copy the MiNT setup over to the CF-card, and I got alot of other hidden files that seemed to cause strange behavior. After using Linux to format the CF and copy the setup, it booted MiNT without problems.
Well, almost as I only got it to work with the 1GB card. My 8Gb Apacer is still not able to boot MiNT properly. It stops at the same place every time, so it might be some problems with that particular card.

Thanks guys!

- goev
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

goev
Atariator
Atariator

Postby goev » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:16 pm

Mathias wrote:HDDriver is not ready for use together with the FireBee (or the FireBee is not ready to use with HDDriver ;) ).

Do anyone know if Uwe have plans to make a FireBee-compatible HD-Driver?

- goev

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:07 pm

goev wrote:
Mathias wrote:HDDriver is not ready for use together with the FireBee (or the FireBee is not ready to use with HDDriver ;) ).

He doesn't.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:36 am

joska wrote:
goev wrote:

He doesn't.
Well thats not 100% correct. He said he cannot switch to other development environments/compilers that are in existance for ColdFire. But he is maybe willing to adapt some issues and improve compatibility, and hopefully assure compatibility with cf68klib. Also he would need exact bugreports from inside the ACP, which were not possible the last weeks.
And he refused to get a FireBee borrowed for some months as he is no TOS developer, and we recently do not know if the incompatibilities are because of FireTOS or HDDriver. Problem from ACP side recently is we would need someone who is deeply inside FireTOS (and that resources are very limited) to get Uwe told what he would need to change. And problem from Uwes side recently is he cannot change compiler, and doesn't take a FireBee.

But I think situation can change in a few weeks and we can go on with testing and solving incompatibilities. But as always when it concernes very special issues I do not promise anything.
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:54 am

Mathias wrote:And he refused to get a FireBee borrowed for some months as he is no TOS developer,

Interesting, so how did he make his previous software?
On what machines?

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:03 pm

Well he is not completely wrong, as we are not ready with TOS. Let's see ...

m0n0
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby m0n0 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:19 pm

And he refused to get a FireBee borrowed for some months as he is no TOS developer,

Interesting, so how did he make his previous software?
On what machines?

Mathias means, the HDDRiver developer doesn't want to add something to the TOS, thats my understanding.

About CF: also had problems ( Files couldn't be accessd, folders hidden etc.) ... but it looks like setting mode to "new TOS" fixed these problems.

Greets,
m

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:40 pm

Ah - I have been having similar problems with my FireBee using a Sandisk Extreme 3 (2GB)....

This could be my answer. I'll try next week when I'm home again :D
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

SofiST
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SofiST » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:40 pm

It is very likely not really Hddriver problem. I assume that IDE port timing causes errors. Especially if errors happen mostly by writing.
Mathias: how IDE logic works ? Is there some timing or just simple port address based switch on of lines SELP, SELS, RD, WR on IDE port ?

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:50 pm

SofiST wrote: Mathias: how IDE logic works ? Is there some timing or just simple port

I am still no developer, :wink: … but Medusa says: "its a simple port like at all Ataris".

SofiST
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby SofiST » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:39 am

Mathias wrote:I am still no developer, :wink: … but Medusa says: "its a simple port like at all Ataris".

Then I recommend that consider this: http://atari.8bitchip.info/astideTP.html

The timing problem is more crucial on higher bus speeds. The reason why Sandisk usually does better is that it uses different timing than regular ATA.
I made new IDE IF, for cartridge port, where no simple port based timing is, and is according to ATA specs. It works well with all CF cards.
In case of usual port based IDE IF it is possible to improve timing by adding monostable which will close RD, WR lines before SELP. It is tested and works well.
Of course, with FPGA it should be possible to make some more advanced logic, which will work well on different bus speeds (monostable is good only for fixed bus speed).

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:10 pm

Thanks SofiST! I posted it to the development forum. Let´s see.

Social Media

Return to “FireBee”