All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Galvez, Moderator Team

Bengy
Atari User
Atari User

Keyboard and monitor recomendations

Postby Bengy » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:49 pm

Hey gang!
Excited to be getting my FireBee finally. The MegaSTE keyboard I once had unfortunately was damaged, so I'm in the market for a new keyboard and monitor for the FireBee.

What do you all recommend for a keyboard and monitor these days? And which adaptor will I need for the monitor?

Appreciate the help and excited to get back into the community!

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Keyboard and monitor recomendations

Postby vido » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:04 pm

Hi Bengy,

I highly recomend MSTE or TT keyboard. This way you will have no problem at all with it and you will be able to use Atari mouse and joysticks. Well ... for the mouse I use USB wirelles mouse. which mouses works and which not you can find here: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=24582

I use Dell U2410 monitor.
FireBee has DVI video output but with some monitors you cant get some resolutions displayed. In such cases I use DVI to VGA adapter. That is in case I would like to play Arkanoid game on the FireBee.

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:37 pm

Personally I prefer 16:10 Monitors (as it is a clean multiplyer of Ataris original 640 x 400) with 800 x 1280 native resolution. The advantage is for me, while using Thing! that all elements are big enough (icons, menues, floating palettes), and that the graphics is damn fast in this resolution. You can of course also take 1920 x 1200 monitors, but the graphics will be noticable slower in 32 Bit. 32 Bit is nice as Netsurf is a lot faster as it does not have to re-render any elements to 16 Bit or less in 32 Bit. Up to 1680 x 1050 I noticed no speed difference. See http://xaaes.gokmase.com/images/screens ... thias1.jpg

As Keyboard I use a mechanical Cherry MXboard 3.0 as it fits nicely to the Mini-Case (and I prefer good keyboards for lot of typing), and an Logitech Premium optical wheel USB mouse (any optical mouse is much better than Atari Mice). The mechanical Atari Keyboards are quite nice as well, and as Vido said there will be less problems. Especially if your like to use EmuTOS, get an Atari Keyboard.
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

dhedberg
Atari God
Atari God

Postby dhedberg » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:12 pm

Bengy wrote:Hey gang!
Excited to be getting my FireBee finally. The MegaSTE keyboard I once had unfortunately was damaged, so I'm in the market for a new keyboard and monitor for the FireBee.

What's wrong with the keyboard? A common problem with the MegaSTE/TT keyboards is damaged tracks of the mylar which results in some keys stop working, but that's easy to fix.

--Daniel
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org. Like demos? Have a look at our new Falcon030 demo and feel the JOY.

Bengy
Atari User
Atari User

Postby Bengy » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:20 pm

dhedberg wrote:
Bengy wrote:Hey gang!

What's wrong with the keyboard? A common problem with the MegaSTE/TT keyboards is damaged tracks of the mylar which results in some keys stop working, but that's easy to fix.

--Daniel

Damaged in a move, nothing minor!

AndresPlaza
Atarian
Atarian

Postby AndresPlaza » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:41 pm

vido wrote:I highly recomend MSTE or TT keyboard. This way you will have no problem at all with it ...

Hi Vido,

I'm curious about what problems a person will find using other keyboard than an Atari one.

Thanks,

Andres.

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:39 pm

"Problems" is perhaps too hard wording. The situation is quite clear:

-) EmuTOS still has no USB driver, so if you like to have 100% fallback-system (for a crashed FireTOS) you need a Atari keyboard
-) FireTOS USB still cannot use any USB-Hub, thus also no keyboards with USB hub functionality
-) In some cases it might be that if you are using some devices that power is an issue, and you need to swap connectors.
-) Arcanoid from Klatz needs a Atari keyboard (is there any other program that does so?)
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:03 pm

Mathias wrote:"
-) FireTOS USB still cannot use any USB-Hub, thus also no keyboards with USB hub functionality

using still there instead of a straight cannot.... does it implies it will be able to one day?
Note: no time implied but some time in the (near) future ?

BTW, where can I sent my FB for repairs. It just cannot boot up. Only 2 led lights and none on the left side.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:28 am

wongck wrote:using still there instead of a straight cannot.... does it implies it will be able to one day?
Note: no time implied but some time in the (near) future ?

Nobody is working on it right now, but of course it could be done.

wongck wrote:BTW, where can I sent my FB for repairs.
Do you have any other idea than Medusa Computer Systems in Switzerland?

wongck wrote:It just cannot boot up. Only 2 led lights and none on the left side.
You do not expect anybody to make a diagnosis with this details :-p
What happened?

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:54 am

dhedberg wrote:A common problem with the MegaSTE/TT keyboards is damaged tracks of the mylar which results in some keys stop working, but that's easy to fix.

Out of curiosity, how would you fix it? :-)

DoG
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby DoG » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:37 am

mikro wrote:
dhedberg wrote:A common problem with the MegaSTE/TT keyboards is damaged tracks of the mylar which results in some keys stop working, but that's easy to fix.

Some conductive marker or paint would probably do the job. Never done it, but just my guess. :) 8O

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:31 pm

Mathias wrote:Do you have any other idea than Medusa Computer Systems in Switzerland?

Just need some reassuring words that someone is able/willing to repair it.

Mathias wrote:
wongck wrote:It just cannot boot up. Only 2 led lights and none on the left side.
You do not expect anybody to make a diagnosis with this details :-p
What happened?

Sure why not, a simple diagnosis. Left side are the cores - FPGA & Coldfire and none of the LED are lit. Right side are the power inputs, and LED lit mean power is there. May be some power components are bad.

It just went blank while working on it. It happened twice, the 1st time it recovered. But not the 2nd time.

Thanks guess I have to contact medusa computers.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:53 pm

mikro wrote:

Dexterslab done it before on his TT.
http://www.mr2.net/marknias/atari_tt030.html#Keyboard

tjam
Atariator
Atariator

Postby tjam » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:02 pm

wongck wrote:
mikro wrote:

I have Mega ST keyboard with same kind of symptoms (keys are not completely defective, but not reliable anymore)... Is it same problem with Mega ST keyboard or something else?

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Mathias » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:25 pm

wongck wrote:Just need some reassuring words that someone is able/willing to repair it.
(…)
Thanks guess I have to contact medusa computers.

Drop us a mail to acpinfo ät firebee dot org. As you may know I am trying to do all the office tasks regarding the FireBee
for years now.

wongck wrote:It just went blank while working on it. It happened twice, the 1st time it recovered. But not the 2nd time.

That would be the first FireBee board with a new problem that developed over time. Interresting. Let´s see. I am quite sure Fredi will have a look if a repair is possible.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:48 pm

@Mathias, Thanks !!

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:51 pm

tjam wrote:I have Mega ST keyboard with same kind of symptoms (keys are not completely defective, but not reliable anymore)... Is it same problem with Mega ST keyboard or something else?

if you ask me, I have no idea.
I screwed up my TT keyboard while trying to 'fix' it. :oops:
I use my STFM keyboard with my TT.

tjam
Atariator
Atariator

Postby tjam » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:09 am

wongck wrote:if you ask me, I have no idea.
I screwed up my TT keyboard while trying to 'fix' it. :oops:
I use my STFM keyboard with my TT.

Ah, ok... I guess I need to open keyboard and check it out. Some keys are unresponsive, but usually they work when you hit them with excessive force.

scsilord
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby scsilord » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:35 pm

tjam wrote:
wongck wrote:
mikro wrote:Out of curiosity, how would you fix it? :-)

I have Mega ST keyboard with same kind of symptoms (keys are not completely defective, but not reliable anymore)... Is it same problem with Mega ST keyboard or something else?

The mega st keyboard has ways to repair bad keys. It fortunatley has a solid pcb instead of a mylar.

You can spray a little contact spray(not wd40) in the switches to clean the >30yo contacts on the inside.
Or
Desolder and remove all the switches and solder in new cherry black/red/brown/blue switches.

I soldered in cherry blues for the clicky feeling.

tjam
Atariator
Atariator

Postby tjam » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:20 pm

scsilord wrote:The mega st keyboard has ways to repair bad keys. It fortunatley has a solid pcb instead of a mylar.

You can spray a little contact spray(not wd40) in the switches to clean the >30yo contacts on the inside.
Or
Desolder and remove all the switches and solder in new cherry black/red/brown/blue switches.

I soldered in cherry blues for the clicky feeling.

Thanks! It seems I'll try to clean switches first. Replacing switches sounds like laborious task :lol:

Social Media

Return to “FireBee”