FireBee revival

All things related to the Atari Coldfire Project

Moderators: Mathias, Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], Galvez, Moderator Team

Mathias
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: FireBee revival

Postby Mathias » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:23 am

Everybody is still on the list warp12! No fear, we are progressing slowly with shipping but we are progressing. The only people who are not on the list, are the ones who ordered the last few months, but they got immediate informations that they are at a "waiting list" now, and all of the communicated with me and are 100% informed. Everybody who ordered tha last 2 years will get a board.

alienkidmj12, about your input device problem, you do not need an eiffel! You can use most of the USB keyboards (as long as they have no USB hub built in). For example I am using the Cherry MX-board 3.0 which is absolutely great at the FireBee (but not quite cheap). So I suggest that you get any well working keyboard and mouse for using FireTOS.
If you like to use EmuTOS, you need some original Atari keyboard and mouse (select EmuTOS by DIP switches). Or use the not recommended USB-Stack of FireTOS over EmuTOS as there is no USB stack in EmuTOS (Select EmuTOS by FireTOS boot menue). But do not forget that the official FreeMiNT Setup is for FireTOS only, so you have to remove the CF-Card if you like to use EmuTOS. Also have a look at the support article, to understand the situation: http://firebee.org/fb-bin/page?label=fb ... use&lng=EN
MegaST 4 with Sounddesigner II MegaBus hardware and 56001, Hades 040, MagiC Mac at Mac OS 9 and a FireBee.

PeterS
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby PeterS » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:19 am

Do you think nxp will ever build a faster Coldfire cpu ?

A 500MHz or 1GHz version shouldn't be too difficult these days.

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:48 am

Assuming the planned acquisition of NXP by Qualcomm goes through -- this is not yet decided --, I fear there won't be new developments in the ColdFire product range anymore. Existing CPUs will of course be supported until end-of-life, because there are big customers with contracts. So this is no (immediate) problem for further FireBee production runs.

However, I foresee that also in the future Qualcomm will be an ARM-only company, with no interest in legacy architectures.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:56 am

czietz wrote:However, I foresee that also in the future Qualcomm will be an ARM-only company, with no interest in legacy architectures.

Yes, I also agree that they will be focusing on ARM.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63+CTPCI_ATI_RTL8139 14+512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:29 pm

czietz wrote:Assuming the planned acquisition of NXP by Qualcomm goes through -- this is not yet decided --, I fear there won't be new developments in the ColdFire product range anymore. Existing CPUs will of course be supported until end-of-life, because there are big customers with contracts. So this is no (immediate) problem for further FireBee production runs.

However, I foresee that also in the future Qualcomm will be an ARM-only company, with no interest in legacy architectures.

The licence to produce or use ColdFire can be bought from IPextreme. You can produce Asic or use it in FPGA. They dont sell V5e licence altouht V5e was produced or used by HP in their printers. This is quote of part of their answer about my quesrion of ColdFire licences:

Regarding pricing, the normal ASIC pricing is in the $250-300K range (list price) for a single use license. But every IP license is a bit different and we can arrive at various other models that are tuned to the customer’s application and business to arrive at something that works for everyone. Some questions, we normally need to understand are:

1. Application (how is the V4 going to be used)?
2. Project start?
3. Production start?
4. Product life span and estimate of annual volumes?
5. FPGA or ASIC?
6. One project or multiple?

But I didnt continue mailing on the subject if they would support FireBee project. Still their comment about the FireBee:
P.S. I had a look at your web site— very cool!

Maybe it would be possible to establish some kind of colaboration or support in finding the solution to get faster ColdFire CPU-s.

Qualcom or NPX wont develop ColdFire further. But as you can see if you pay, you can produce ColdFire by yourself :)

http://ip-extreme.com

BTW. I just checked the page and I see IPextreme is now part of SILVACO. But it seems ColdFire is part of their portfolio.

oehansen
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby oehansen » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:06 pm

mpattonm wrote:There is a good reason why HW/SW design decitions should be made by engineers, not musicians.

<pre-forma>
Just to let everyone know, I'm a dick-weed <b>roman</b>, who believes in Janus ... so everything has two sides to me. So don't get too offended, if I kick your butt.
</pre-form>

The problem of the last decades, and the reason why most of the world has LEFT the entire software scene, is because of ENGINEERS.

Basically, engineers are morons who couldn't invent toilet paper to wipe their butt even if their life depended on it. They aren't people who invent anything, they went to school to learn to copy other people's work ... they're workers, not thinkers. It's because of people like him, and frank that this project and this platform is still alive.

Social Media

Return to “FireBee”